Sign in to follow this  
CamDiver

U/W Light Meters & Video

Hi Guys,

Just been doing some reading up on the use of underwater light meters, in particular the Sekonic Marine Meter II (L-164C). We all know I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to all things tech so I was wondering if these could be used in conjunction with U/W Video as opposed to photography and yield the same results. Does the camera / lens operation and machanism of a video camera reflect exactly that of a photographic system?

Basic question. Could a light meter such as the one mentioned above aid underwater video? If not, why not?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

You can always use the histogram in the Z1 or A1, it would provide just about all the info you would need. I don't use it but I know that Eric Hanauer uses his in his HC-1. You would adjust the light exposure via what you see in the Histogram

Steve B)

I don't think the Sekonic Marine Meter II (L-164C) would be very helpful for uw video.

All video cameras have a built-in light meter. The main problem for uw video is white balance (the water filters out color, the deeper you go the less spectrum you have). I don't do uw video. But, other club members do and they use a white slate (8" x 10", A4) and the white balance button on the camera to do uw video without artificial light. Hold the slate flat toward the lens at the distance you're filming and press the white balance button on the camera. (the camera then adjusts the color input levels to match its model of balanced color by cutting out blue and green while leaving red untouched). This works well in clear water.

Hi Steve,

You read my mind. I started looking around at that the light meter option as I have read my camera operators manual from front to back and found no mention of the histogram feature. It is also not listed in the index. Is the histogram ferature available via controls on the Gates??

uw_nikon Thanks for the tips. I knew I'd been missing something.......white balance, darn. :lol:

Cheers,

Mark.

Sarcasm...I love it :lol:

Maybe others might be offended :lol:

But I love it :lol:

Divesafe

DeanB

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements