Sign in to follow this  
fgoldy

depth experience w/Olympus PT-010

As a novice underwater photographer, and a new user of wetpixel, I am trying to decide which u/w setup to purchase. I have an Olympus 3040 which is wonderful. I have read all of the forum entries and would appreciate a bit of help.

On my last trip to the Bay Islands, a fellow diver had a 3030 with the olympus housing. He dove to 110 feet on this trip and told us that he had taken the housing to 120 regularly with no problems. What a great setup to be able to download to his laptop and view photos immediately and show them to the entire group!

Here is my quandry. The olympus is small, light, and inexpensive. The Ike is larger, heavier, and double the price, but is rated to double the depth. I have heard so many stories of new photographers choosing to upgrade their entire outfits or major portions after only one trip. I would rather NOT be one of those quick upgraders.

Have any of you taken the olympus housings to depths greater than 30m or 98 feet? If so, how deep, how often, and what are your experiences?

I am also deciding on a strobe for whichever housing I choose. I have had strong recommendations for the ds-50. Again, I am thinking that maybe the ds-125 is a better move so I can use it in an upgrade or even on another housing if necessary. The fully auto ttl is very attractive to me.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi

I'm in a similiar position. I have just ordered a 4040 and an Oly Pt 010 housing - should be here next week, fingers crossed. I can't speak from personal experience, but whilst I was researching my own purchases, I came across several posts from people, either on this forum or Steves Digicams, that said they have regularly taken their housings below 30M to a mx depth of just shy of 50M.

I'd make sure it was insured mind you.

There were several posts in this forum and in Steve's where the depth problem was mentioned

I have a pt10 myself. It survived several dives to ~40 meters (deepest was 43) without any problems but i wouldn't take it much deeper.

So far i haven't heard of anybody having problems with a pt10 around that depth but i remember a post at Steve's where somebody mentioned hair fractures in a pt007 after going deep.

Regards - Sabine

I just got back from Roatan where I had my C-4040/PT-010 as deep as 120ft several times. The very first time was totally by accident, not being used to a depth restriction I never even thought about it. At around 100ft, I heard and felt a light popping from the case. I really dreaded taking a look at it! But all was well. On following dives to those depths, there were no sounds or vibrations felt. All buttons were functional and photos turned out great.

I have no intention to consistantly break the depth rating for the PT-010, it's nice to know that we both won't explode below 98ft! :)

Dee

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements