wagsy

Sony HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1

You Guys must be talking about additional lens, I thought you meant a simple ND filter as protection. I am sure this will fit, but no idea about an additional lens.

You Guys must be talking about additional lens, I thought you meant a simple ND filter as protection. I am sure this will fit, but no idea about an additional lens.

Sorry.

Maybe I misread Steve's question. The lens hood is a bayonet mount. It fits over my Hoya diopters which should be around the same size as a ND or UV filter.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. With the a1-U, you can't put on a protection filter and the hood at the same time which makes no sence for topside work at all.

Steve B)

Roger,

Just read that you bought the FX7. What do you think? Can you not manually white balance or use one of the assign buttons to take care of that? Give us your review....please.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Ronrosa is correct you cannot link the white balance to an assign button. You manually white balance by turning OFF the auto lock. Then press the white balance button on the rear of the camera. There are two "memory" options (A&B) and two pre programmed options for outdoors and indoors. The menu defaults to "A". Pressing the dial as, you suggested, sets the white balance and it is saved until reset again. As the default is "A" you do not have to rotate the dial to set a white balance just press it. The other controls will remain in auto mode with the lock OFF unless you access their own buttons.

I am no expert on this kind off sophisticated camera, but with just a few hours (on land of course) I am very impressed.

I took it to the Arundel Wetlands centre today, the weather was low midday sun then cloud. The colours are very true, and the viewfinder also gave true colours and was very clear. I prefer to use the finder rather than the screen as the camera is more stable. There was bright sun on the water and geese and ducks of all colours including white, the camera was in full auto mode. It immediately prompted me to apply the ND1 filter ( reduces the light volume to 1/4), the colours remained accurate and the white feathers were clear and textured.

I was particularly impressed with the steadyshot. There are four modes - hard, standard, soft and wide conv. The latter is for use with a wide angle conversion lens. I was on Standard mode. Panning with the swimming ducks was easy and accurate. I was able to hold a full 20x zoom on a distant duck just holding the camera with elbows supported on a fence. The picture was very steady. This bodes well for those difficult shots on shy creatures only possible to film at a distance underwater, e.g. partner gobies and jawfish.

The NP-F770 (middle size battery) fits flush with rear of the camera, and it remains well balanced, the battery gives >300mins after a full charge. With care that should allow 3 one hour plus dives without having to change the battery. I hate opening the housing during a days diving even on a dive boat.

That is probably all I can say at present, but will add more after I have had time to try some of the features. Just ask if there are any burning questions and I will try to give you answers.

Roll on the housings

"Ronrosa is correct you cannot link the white balance to an assign button. You manually white balance by turning OFF the auto lock. Then press the white balance button on the rear of the camera. "

Roger...the problem is that when shooting underwater, how will you mwb?

Steve B)

"Ronrosa is correct you cannot link the white balance to an assign button. You manually white balance by turning OFF the auto lock. Then press the white balance button on the rear of the camera. "

Steve B)

I suppose it will depend on how the housing controls are configured. Amphibico's Endeavour advert quotes "one push" MWB as an electronic feature, as well as all the other manual controls and menu control as an housing feature.

We will see :rolleyes:

Steve B)

The FX7 MWB is the same as my TRV900. You push the selector wheel. My Gates housing had a lever/button for this so I assume they will do it the same way with the FX7.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-...rder-Review.htm

With disappointing low light performance, the HDR-FX7 1/4†CMOS sensors are no match for the larger 1/3†CCDs on the FX1.

Well, that's make the decision for me, low light performance is a top priority.

When will there be an update of the Fx-1 or Z1E with ultimate low light performance :rolleyes:

The white balance will be Electronic on the Endeavor.

The electronic protocol is nearly exactly like the PD150/170 the electronic white balance will do exactly as the manual one-push on the camcorder so there will be absolutely no issue in this respect.

The Phenom accessed the manual white balance through the service mode of the camcorder, so simply forcing the camcorder to manual lock the white balance versus the push button on the camcorder which made its own calculation with the manual white balance lock, thus the difference between the electronic and the manual white balance button.

Figure I would add my 3 cents and stir the pot:)

As a happy (and biased) FX1 user, i have no regrets buying the FX1 and not waiting for the FX7. My reasons are this:

-3CCD that delivers 3 lux. I own the A1 and i am just not impressed with CMOS technology in low light, bright light and changing light.

-More glass and bigger sensors. I will take all the light i can get into the front of my camera underwater. Every milimeter of sensor and lens opening is critical until some new technology comes along.

-Cost. There does not seem to be a cost advantage (and more so a disdvantage) to the FX7.

All this being said, the real answers will be delivered by those willing to venture out, buy the cam and housing and start shooting.

Funny quoting myself. It seems the tests are proving out the hypothesis. I for one am a huge fan of low light performance...cutting any off is a big detraction for me. Who wants grainy hd?

Wags, you were very outspoken against the electronic WB on the Phenom. Am i reading correctly that the electronic WB on the Phenom did it wrong and the Endeavor is doing it correctly (i.e. a different method). I hope this is the case. Please confirm.

The FX1 is so called 3lUX and the Fx7 is 4LUX..can't be that much of a difference, I know the..."it uses this, while that uses that" debate. But Lux is Lux is it not.

Apparently its different with every review / forum thread, some slate the new Sony's, some love them. Ive seen stills taken of low light situ's where the V1 looks quite a bit better than the FX1, lots more detail.. But who knows.

Also one thread reckons the V1 is better in 'lowlight' than its con-sumer little brother..This needs confirming.

Well one thing is for sure..The Fx7 will be better in low light than my 'MIGHTY' A1 which is 25000LUX !!!!

But then again you can get used or second hand Z1's for less than the FX7....

We need an U/W test...Although it will never settle any arguments..People will always love the mini battles of whos right...

Dive safe

DeanB

I think people won't make up their mind until they either use the camera themselves or see some footage shot in very similar conditions they are used to.

So for you UW guys, you'll have to wait for the housing mfr's. Hopefully they release soon, I have a trip the 1st week of March.

There is a ton of topside samples being shown on the various boards and people are still debating.

All I can say, is when I compared my FX7 to my TRV900, the low light capabilites seemed very comparable. Naturally, the FX7 was sharper and the differences between the 2 are more apparent with better lighting.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the lux ratings and surprise surprise, Sony rates them the same at 4. I should also mention the FX7 has a lot of adjustability in the manual mode and their is a big picture difference between full auto and what can be done in manual.

Edited by ronrosa

A problem Ron, when dealing with Lux ratings, is that Sony will publish one lux rating for a cam in Japan and another completely different rating for the same cam in the USA. Still can't figure that one out unless there are two different standards of achieving a lux rating. This would be similar to buying a stereo amp that lists itself as 200 watts IPP when , in fact, that equals to about 15 watts RMS, which is the true wattage standard.

By the way, I just received in the mail a VASST tutorial DVD on using the Sony HVRVIU and the FX7. They want me to write a review for the editing websites. It is taught by Douglas Spotted Eagle, a well known shooter, tester and writer himself, so I am expecting the disc to be a good one. Plus, I welcome getting to know both cams well enough before I make my choice as to which I will get.

Steve B)

My wife & I have the last two weeks in March booked for Kenya. One week safari out of Nairobi and one week diving the Mombasa Beach area. It would be nice to have my FX7 housed by then, and it would be an excellent test for topside and u/w (dust then salt water :D ). However Amphibico seem to be the only one advertising and they tell me not until the Spring! I think Spring comes a little late in Canada ^_^

Failing a new housing I will have to try and take my PC330E/S&S gear as well, goodness knows how I will get it all inside the luggage allowance :D Unfortunately my wife shoots with a D200, and along with the telephoto lens for the safari she is going overweight as well. Looks like a bulging reporters jacket again ;)

Please post here as soon as you guys get to know about FX7 housings becoming available - thanks.

I'm going to take the delay in housings as a positive... :D

The lovely housing companies are making sure that their products are going to be a 'un-rushed, quality product thats going to do the job..And more...

No one is going to be disappointed.. :D^_^

Keep up the good work fella's.. We are counting on you... ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

P.s Awaiting your field report on the performance of the FX7 in beautiful Africa, cheers Roger...

Gates have told me they expect to be shipping the FX7 housing in May - you are right Dean, let them do their very best :D

I'll certainly report back after Africa - I will be giving both the optical and digital zoom a good testing - it will be interesting to see how the steadyshot copes with the rough roads.

Gates have told me they expect to be shipping the FX7 housing in May ....

That's not good for my trip in March. I already sold my TRV900.

Yeah, Its a right old wank.. :D

But I suppose I can hold on to my A1 to finish my pike story..For now. I'm not gagging for a 'set-up' this time, so I can wait.

Just witnessed another battle of the 'lux comparisons' on another forum..3-2 to the FX7..

Dive safe

DeanB

Ron,

Why are you going to Kenya in March when the big animal migration doesn't take place until Aug-Sept?

I'm still trying to decide whether to get the FX-7 or the V1-U, they both would probably fit the bill, just not sure which way to go on this.

Steve B)

Sorry to butt in mid forum, but can some-one confirm that the main difference between the FX-7 and the V1 is that the FX 7 doesn't shoot in 24p, also the obvious things like audio imputs and some finer functionality.

The V1 isn't able to switch between NTSC or PAL like the Z1 either is it?

I'm sure that someone mentioned on another link about Sony releasing the Z2 and that it was going to be in the same body as the FX1/Z1 therefore housings would already be availble? Anyone have any news?

Has anybody used the Canon XH A1? That seams to come across well on reviews.... we all seam to be Sony sluts, me included... The housings availible seam a little limited though only gates at this stage I believe.

Jon

I think you answered most of your own questions... :D

Z2 ???? I think that was wishful thinking...

Steve, your in the same boat as me..We will be waiting in the wings..

Dive safe

DeanB

Our diligent video moderator Drew Wong has forwarded me these two images from Wetpixel sponsor Amphibico of their Endeavor FXV1 housing for the Sony HDR-FX7/HVR-V1.

amphibfx7_1.jpg

amphibfx7_2.jpg

I won't pretend to know anything about its features ;)