champ

Recomendations Tahiti & Rangiroa

My wife and I going to Tahiti and Rangiroa this January. We plan to spend one week on the Aggressor and then 5 days on Rangiroa. The costs of the trip started low since we were able to use our frequent flyer miles but we've now found moderately priced accomodation hard to find.

We tried the pension bounty on Rangiroa (which looked nice and price was fair) but they are on holiday the week we will be there.

Also, I would really like to get some photos of a giant hammerhead while we are there - any recomendations on dive shop?

My wife and I going to Tahiti and Rangiroa this January. We plan to spend one week on the Aggressor and then 5 days on Rangiroa. The costs of the trip started low since we were able to use our frequent flyer miles but we've now found moderately priced accomodation hard to find.

We tried the pension bounty on Rangiroa (which looked nice and price was fair) but they are on holiday the week we will be there.

Also, I would really like to get some photos of a giant hammerhead while we are there - any recomendations on dive shop?

forgot to ask my original question ...

Any recomendations on moderatly priced accomodations on Tahiti and Rangiroa?

Thanks

I've heard lots of complaints that Tahiti is a total tourist trap where you get really hosed on the price of everything, especially food.....

I stayed at less than moderately priced accomodations on Rangiroa :-)

We stayed at some cheap family/hostel type place, can't remember the name, but the rooms were super hot and I ended up sleeping on the picnic bench under the thunderstorm which was pretty darn cool. Great experience. I believe it was ~US$40/night. We dove with Raie Manta club which was right next door, very conveniant and they will drive you anywhere you need to. There is also a great pizza place next door, very good french style pizza and a super friendly chef. He'll make pretty much whatever you want. And yes food is expensive... but comparable to food in the United States.

As for Tahiti itself... it is VERY different from the atolls like Rangiroa and Fakarava. I would reccommend you skip Tahiti and go for another atoll like Fakarava. The reefs are 100x better out at the atolls and they are only a short flight away. This is also where the hammerheads/mantas are. Tahiti/Moorea and Bora bora are all pretty touristy, Moorea being the least I'd say. Fakarava has a camp ground and huts, pretty cheap as well. Virtually nodody lives on that island too. I can get you some names of the places if you want when I get back to my own computer and browse my photos...

Cheers,

Wyatt

I stayed at less than moderately priced accomodations on Rangiroa :-)

We stayed at some cheap family/hostel type place, can't remember the name, but the rooms were super hot and I ended up sleeping on the picnic bench under the thunderstorm which was pretty darn cool. Great experience. I believe it was ~US$40/night. We dove with Raie Manta club which was right next door, very conveniant and they will drive you anywhere you need to. There is also a great pizza place next door, very good french style pizza and a super friendly chef. He'll make pretty much whatever you want. And yes food is expensive... but comparable to food in the United States.

As for Tahiti itself... it is VERY different from the atolls like Rangiroa and Fakarava. I would reccommend you skip Tahiti and go for another atoll like Fakarava. The reefs are 100x better out at the atolls and they are only a short flight away. This is also where the hammerheads/mantas are. Tahiti/Moorea and Bora bora are all pretty touristy, Moorea being the least I'd say. Fakarava has a camp ground and huts, pretty cheap as well. Virtually nodody lives on that island too. I can get you some names of the places if you want when I get back to my own computer and browse my photos...

Cheers,

Wyatt

food is very expensive. We stayed in Moorea for 3 days pre princess cruise. great diving all over. Tahiti is usefull only as a through port. Some incredable reefs and lots of animals. If you go in July/August there is a good chance of swimming with whales. Mantas are in during our summer as well. Agressor great choice., I would do that and the atols next time.

I stayed in a small pension in Rangiroa and I could not recommend it. It was cheap though. The room was open to the outside and I was eaten alive by mossies. The only decent hotel on Rangiroa is Kia Ora and I believe this is quite expensive. This also has the only real beach on the island (or that we could find).

Also be aware that the local language is french. Not many people spoke much english !

I would really recommend Topdive. They were very good but they certainly have a fairly relaxed attitude to diving. The dive to find great hammerheads is a 50m dive with a drift across the channels mouth. Keep a very close eye on your computer and air because the dive guide will not worry about going into some serious deco.

I loved the diving there with hundreds of sharks, mantas and dolphins fairly commonplace.

Mark

I was there a few years ago and the shark action was fairly aggressive and that was cool by me. The currents are about the most ripping I have done, and I've done alot. Maybe it is just me getting old but fighting the current just to get where you are supposed get is just losing its 'fun' factor for me.

On land the prices were exhorbitant. When I have to pay $18.00 for a hamburger and fries....well screw that. I don't think I will be going back.

Steve B)

Sponsors

Advertisements