Sign in to follow this  
RebreatherDave

Resource for translating latin fish names?

I am finding this whole thread very amusing, fascinating, and educational.

Leslie, I am getting some training on Final Cut Pro at the Apple Store. When I was in the Philippines last dive trip I saw an interesting white worm with a medusa head on the end that was about 4" long and about a 1/4" in diameter moving quite well. I immediately thought of you and got some HiDef footage.

The theory about the Thor thing might be a clue to the Argonaut thing is an interesting hypothesis.

As soon as I figure out how to upload a short portion of the worm footage here, I will post it in your honor.

:lol:

Edited by RebreatherDave

As soon as I figure out how to upload a short portion of the footage here, I will post it in your honor.

;)

:lol::lol::lol::D:):):wub::wub::wub:

Thor & Periclimenes were described about 50 years apart by 2 different people.......

Hehehe, that's the way to go!

But I'm with William - a few extra syllables just make the names sound better!

And I thought I was alone in my stubborn mis-pronounciations.

The verb is pronounce, but the noun is pronUnciation.

So technically, you ARE quite consistent! :lol:

Hi Luiz, I am really keen to hear more about this book. I iive in Bali, Indonesia and it's a whole long process for me to try and get books, or anythign come to think of it sent over here so I'd like to know if this is the best book to go for me. Do you think it is really helpful to translate and learn more about the Latin translations or do you think there may be something else out there better?

Hey - I am starting to worry about posting now, all this talk about correct pronunciation and with Wetpixel postings not having a spell checker, oh no what am I gonna do :D:blink:

Hi Graham, this is the best book I've seen on the subject. It has a disctionary with hundreds of pages containing names and parts of names commonly used in species. It also explains the entire process of naming species.

Luiz

I think the Honeysuckle v Jason and the Argonauts camps are both fascinating. Visually, I really got kick out of Rocha's honeysuckle photo and the adjacent Imperator shrimp as the colors matched which visdually reinforces the position.

I was thinking about adding some variety to my HiDef DVD first attempt at editing, and do a little shindig where I discuss scientific name entymology....and use some of the discussions in this thread as an example. I can see how either Argonaut or honeysuckle can bothmake sense, but I think I would let viewers make their own conclusions and present both sides.

Regarding that, Rocha, your two photos, one of the honeysuckle and the other an imperator shrimp of all but identical color makes for an excellent visual in a DVD when narrating that portion of the honeysuckle hypothesis.

So my question is, considering it is a HiDef sorta thing, where can I get those specific photos in real high res large images so unlike small jpegs, I can blow them up and import the stills into Final Cut Pro before exporting to DVD Studio Pro?

You got me on that one... I just downloaded them from free websites, maybe if you contact the photographers? I will try to dig up the sites where I found them.

Oh, by the way, I just received my Inspiration rebreather, will start training soon... :D

Hey Luis - where are you going to do your Inspiration training? Hawaii?

Looking to do the same in the near future -

Bryce

Yep, doing it here in Oahu, I'm not sure if there is any instructor in Kona, and I think there is only one here in Oahu.

Cool Luiz - I actually didn't think there was one in Hawaii, period. There is definitely no one teaching full circut on the Big Island.

Good to know

Bryce

Luis,

Thanks for the offer to find the website where you found those photographs....I searched the net too, but couldn't find the ones you posted, which render the two colors identical, making the point better.... let me know when you find them and I will see if I can contact the photgraphers.....

You'll get a kick out of your Inspiration training......just remember amongst other things to never let the handsets dangle over any longer period of time-moisture travels down the hoses into teh handsets...it's a bad design.....I resolved it by upgrading to Vision electronics which are WAY better......plus I have a temp stick to monitor what the sorb bed is doing....I like the HUD too.

You'll enjoy your unit, it is really reliable and stable.....if you dont'; do tech/deco stuff, check out the Evolution though, much easier to move about underwater and with a scrubber monitor, guys are getting 5 hours on the scrubber no problem.

We ordered them with the vision electronics :D and I plan to dive it to 350ft...

Back to really important things, like archaic languages.... ;) I was searching for the names of the 3000 sea nymphs to check how many were used for polychaetes (yeah, I know - too much free time and worms on the brain) and found an excellent web page with definitions of greek people, places & things put up by Michael Stewart http://messagenet.com/myths/ppt/index.html

Cheers, Leslie

PS - I'm sticking with Periclemenes the argonaut.

Making note to self: Leslie is firmly in the Periclemenes Argonaut camp......

There sure seems to be a lot of different spellings:

Wikipedia: Poriclymenus was a son of Nereus and one of the Argonauts. Poseidon gave him the ability to shapeshift in various animals. He was killed by Heracles at Pylos.

Ovid XII, 556.

Scientists often name animals after each other and especially their predecessors - there's a great resource on who some of these people are/were at http://www.tmbl.gu.se/libdb/taxon/personetymol/index.htm if you want to try it. Some of the external links are broken though.

That's a nice link, thanks for posting! Too bad they concentrate on invertebrates. They say that only two species were named after Jack Randall, when in fact there are 40 randalli species, and one genus (the butterflyfish Johnrandallia) out there!

Luiz

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements