ColinZylka

Lembeh Suit Recommendation?

Anyone have recommendations on suit thickness for Lembeh in September? 3mm? 5mm? more? What can I expect in water temperatures?

Thanks,

Colin.

I was in Lembeh last week and the temps varied between 26C and 27C. I was in a 3mm suit and a touch chilly on long dives (some up to 100 mins). Not too bad and I still managed 5 dive days. You might want a 3mm + jacket though.

The water temperature is generally not too bad, but you do tend to remain static for extended periods to capture the right moment. A 3mm suit should be OK for most people, potetntially with a lycra shirt underneath.

Maybe global warming has hit Lembeh since I visited way back in 2001. I was cold; water temp was 72 (in July). I wore a 1mm under a 3mm, and the long dives were chilly. The best recommendation I can give you is to bring a hooded vest to wear with your 3 to 5mm. Keeps the core temp up.

Have fun,

Marli

Not to divert the thread too much, but how much different are water temps at Lembeh in November/December? I would assume they warm up a bit from September, right?

I was just there a week ago and it was 77-79 degrees with Mark. A 3mm plus a hooded vest or a 5mm with

a hood. You need to keep you head warm, you loose lots of heat from your head.

I dove Lembeh last Nov and it was a little warmer about 80 degrees. I usually write the resort a week before

I leave and ask them to ask the dive guides what the temp is so I have the latest information

Terry

I dove Lembeh at various time of the year in the past, and it didn't seem that there was a huge seasonal variation in terms of water temperature. I've always used a 3mm full suit. In June, I got lazy and did some dives with no suit at all around mid-day, and it was totally bearable.

Hey, I must be a wimp! I use a 5mm suit just about all round Indonesia, especially if I am doing 4 no limit dives, if we start getting into 5 dives a day, I'll be needing that 5mm from the second dive onwards!

I really think we need to find out what kind of suit you usually wear, how long you dive for, what temperatures you are used to and if you feel the cold a lot?

Me, I always feel the cold first, I dive long and very slow dives, I've averaged 80 - 85 minute dives over about 45 dives on a few trips. For me in temperaturs of less than 28degC I will need a 5mm suit, and a good 5mm at that! I don't like feeling the cold, if I start to feel the cold then I am not 100% enjoying my dive and we all know that really sucks!

Usually now in Lembeh the temperature is starting to pick up, Lembeh is usually at its lowest around June, so if you plan to go soon then it should be around 26-27degC.

I always prefer to play it safe and go with a warmer suit. I have never been too warm underwater and it is so easy to purge some cooler water in your warm suit, on the other hand if you take a suit that may not be warm enough, you are stuck with it and may get cold, remember - the more dives you do, the colder you get!

Stay warm and enjoy them long, slow critter hunting dives, hope you see all the good stuff...

Sponsors

Advertisements