highsee3

I found the perfect strobe

So, me being a noob, found this nice looking ys-110 strobe. It has everything I want/need in a strobe, but I can't seem to find a place to order one. I start asking myself, is this a hoax, did I really read about this strobe?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...&sku=407382

so, my question is as follows, what strobe comes close in terms of features?

Coverage Angle

105° X 105°

Exposure Control

12 step guide number control

Targeting Light

Yes, LED (I really like this idea)

Recycle Time

NiMH Battery: approximately 1 second (sounds too good to be true, ys-90 is 3 sec)

Power Source

4 AA batteries

Dimensions

13.5 x 4.6 x 5.6" (88 x 115 x 140mm)

Weight (Land)

20oz (570g)

It was apparently pulled out of the market because of some patent infringement issue with Inon. Something to do with the use of multiple flash tubes, from what I've read. Not sure how true this is though...

Edited by mattdiver

Interesting rumour, Matt.

Back in March there was lots of chat about the fact it was due soon - and then a big silence.

Spec's and performance look interesting. But is it only vapourware?

Alex

so, my question is as follows, what strobe comes close in terms of features?

Coverage Angle

105° X 105°

Exposure Control

12 step guide number control

Targeting Light

Yes, LED (I really like this idea)

Recycle Time

NiMH Battery: approximately 1 second (sounds too good to be true, ys-90 is 3 sec)

Power Source

4 AA batteries

Dimensions

13.5 x 4.6 x 5.6" (88 x 115 x 140mm)

Weight (Land)

20oz (570g)

I think the Inon Z240 is very similar in specs. Not an option?

this might help your search:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

every stat provided by the manufacturer (except for one :lol: )

yes, as you can tell, I'm a noob. This was helpful, as I was looking at b&h photo and had never heard of INON. I'm now :lol: looking into them. b&h also has the ys-110 listed, so that threw me for a loop.

Thanks

It might be worth your time to contact one of the specialized retailers of underwater equipment who actually use this stuff for the low-down on these various models and how they might fit your needs. Many of them sponsor this forum, and have business cards on the right hand side of the page.

I'm hearing rumblings from Japan that the YS-110 might become a reality this month, which is good news. That being said, Sea & Sea has always been quite optimistic w/ their specs, and if this outperforms a Z-240 I'll be surprised, and owe more than a few people cold frosty beverages.

yes, as you can tell, I'm a noob. This was helpful, as I was looking at b&h photo and had never heard of INON. I'm now :blink: looking into them. b&h also has the ys-110 listed, so that threw me for a loop.

Thanks

Some recent web updates indicate the YS-110 just MIGHT exist!

Here's the Divester page on it.

And here's the Sept 19 Sea & Sea announcement.

I was thinking about a second YS-90, or maybe a YS-120 for the wider angle of coverage, but this one appears to have the best of both worlds: smaller than the YS-120, same angle of coverage as the YS-120, same 12 manual settings as the YS-90, all the digital features of the YS-90DX, and the added benefit of the target LED light. I LIKE that!

With the manual settings on both, it looks like it would be a great second strobe for use with my YS-90, as main and fill lights with diffusers.

Comments?

I found it here on divervision... in stock too.

YS-110

I have also been eyeing this for use with my new Inon D2000W, but I'd have to get a dual sync cord...

-Wyatt

Hmmm, I wonder if they really have them in stock or if they just haven't set the product entry up correctly. Very few items are listed as "back ordered" on that site, which is conspicuous in the field of UW photo gear, to say the least.

If they have some, well done to them. Ryan doesn't have any yet.

Martyn

As Divervision is located in Taiwan, it's not surprising they have it before the US distributors. Be aware of warranty service issues, though. Your strobe would probably have to go back to Asia if it needs service. Best to check with Divervision. Their communication is excellent, so just drop them an email.

Cheers,

Marli

I have a golf meeting scheduled with the CEO of Sea and Sea USA for next week. He has indicated that he will be shipping YS110 by the time we hit the course.

I'm hoping to receive my pair of YS-110s next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hadn't realised that DiverVision was TW based, they may well be the best place for me to get a LED FIX light in the UK.

Martyn

Gosh I didn't even think of the warranty issue... hope Inon would service my strobe since I bought it from divervision.

Gosh I didn't even think of the warranty issue... hope Inon would service my strobe since I bought it from divervision.

:)

Oops.. post disappeared last time !!

Hi Seriola,

As I think you know Divervision is my local UW shop in Taiwan. Although rest assured that I have no financial gain through saying this (although I should do now I think about it... time to hit them for some heavy discounts I feel:)

I popped into the shop and asked them about this issue. They said that of the hundreds of INON strobes they have sold, they have only had one small problem with one unit (focus light bulb going). I shouldn't worry unduly... INON strobes are extremely stable... it's very unlikely you'll have a problem during the warranty period...

I definitely should be getting paid for this ;)

See ya

Alex

:wub:

I've ordered my pair od 110 last week from USA. I'll receive them next week. I'll send feedback on them soon.

They are good units, judging by the performance in air. I'm very keen to get them underwater to have good long play.

Martyn

We've got 2 in the mail also. Trying them out, if we like them we'll replace all our YS90DX's with these. When im in the VI in 8 weeks I could do some tests comparing the YS110s with the YS90DX. If no one beats me to it.. :)

Cor

Ah Ha, I've got two right here!!

They are a little heavier in the water than the YS90s, and smaller. Ryan Canon did just a very quick test of their specs, and it turned out less than advertized by the manufacturer - but that is not uncommon.

I got them cause my Inons were just too heavy and with the Sea and Sea 110s I've now saved 10oz over the Inons, 10oz less negative for my rig. Still the YS90s would have given me even more margin.

I haven't shot them yet, will test in pool this Sat and maybe use them where the manatee are next Monday.

The 110s sure are sharp looking, snazzy and glittery! :) But I suspect they might be a little short in the power and beam department, probably very similar to my previous Inon D2000Ws.

Carol

I've weighed my YS110 and it is just over 40 g lighter than the YS90. It is physically a bit smaller so could well be a little more negative underwater.

One nice feature is the new LED target light which does seem quite bright. They have now included a small on/off button for this light within the center of the slave on/off switch. The rear section of the strobe otherwise appears to be the same moulded unit as on the YS90. It is the front half that has shrunk in size.

One observation though - when the LED light is put on it seems to flicker slightly - a sort of regular pulsing. Initially I thought this might have been due to a set of bad batteries but it does the same with fresh ones. I am not sure if this is normal or not. Can anyone tell me if theirs does the same thing?

I've weighed my YS110 and it is just over 40 g lighter than the YS90. It is physically a bit smaller so could well be a little more negative underwater.

One nice feature is the new LED target light which does seem quite bright. They have now included a small on/off button for this light within the center of the slave on/off switch. The rear section of the strobe otherwise appears to be the same moulded unit as on the YS90. It is the front half that has shrunk in size.

One observation though - when the LED light is put on it seems to flicker slightly - a sort of regular pulsing. Initially I thought this might have been due to a set of bad batteries but it does the same with fresh ones. I am not sure if this is normal or not. Can anyone tell me if theirs does the same thing?

I just picked up the YS-110 this week and noticed the same thing about the LED light. It seems to flicker about every 2 seconds or so. I thought it was a defect and was going to take it back, but it sounds like this may be normal? Do you think they did this to remind you that the light is coming from the LED and not from your dive light, to maybe save battery life on the strobe?

I noticed that my Inon's similar target light used to slightly "flicker" like you describe - above water only. I never noticed it doing that underwater.

I don't know if this has any relevance.

As said I'll shoot the 110s u/w on Sat and maybe Monday.

C

Sponsors

Advertisements