Starbuck

Nikon D80 fits Nexus D70 housing

I could not resist...There it was sitting on the counter in the local camera shop...

I have a D80 fitting inside a Nexus D70 housing with minor modifcation to the tray needed. I had to disable the AF/M switch. You will be able to use the front command dial easily...most other functions will be disabled unless a new back is designed.. For me this is ok..since I'm mostly changing Aperture and Shutter speed and not reviewing pictures or changing other settings..

I'll post some pictures later after the new rig is complete.

M.

Update:

On/Off works

Front command dial works

Back command dial with A LOT of modification

No other functions..

The D80 is a MAJOR improvement over the D70...the viewfinder alone is worth the upgrade!

Edited by Starbuck

you sir are an evil temptresss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you do realize all the manufacturers now hate you..... :blink:

come on then I've got to know................................

Just how good is the D80 out of the housing?

This news really makes me happy. I was not yet in the opportunity to test it myself. Can't wait to see the pics.

Would you really prefer to use the D80 over the D70 in the Nexus D70 housing if you can't access all those buttons?

It might be exciting intially to get the D80 up and running, but are you sure it will not be a bit frustrating after a while? Just take the image review button for example - or to be able to change the ISO or WB?

Nexus is working on a conversion kit for the D70 housing to take the D80.

More info to follow.

This friday keeps getting better and better. In holland we say: "if one sheep is over the dam, the rest will follow" So Ike,........

In Holland, over the dam is the Atlantics, no? B)

OK Aquatica - come up with a new D80 back kit with your new viewfinder that I can use with the existing front of my D70 housing - please - please -please!

Andy

OK

I will get one of these and see if I can stuff it in my Aquatica D-70 housing?

If it won't fit then blake gets more $$

Chris

D80 pictures from Guadalupe at www.fishlens.com

Great camera...Larger viewfinder and LCD and auto iso will be a big hit!

M.

D80 pictures from Guadalupe at www.fishlens.com

Great camera...Larger viewfinder and LCD and auto iso will be a big hit!

M.

Hi Michael,

Just a quick note to say stunning Great White Pics on your site. Fantastic.

Any more news on the Nexus D80 back?

Tim

Edited by timing

Hey Tim -

After modifying my d70 housing im not sure if a "back" is all that is needed for complete functionality. Definately a new tray as well as some different control arms in the front part of housing may also be needed. The D80 is such a major improvement over the D70 and so much smaller than my D2X.. I would seriously consider using it for all my UW photography after playing with the camera in Guadalupe. The jpegs coming out of camera have a lot of "punch", similar to the D2X. I also like Auto ISO, which allowed us to preset fstop and shutter speed for wide angle shots but shoot in various light without under or overexposing shots.

Woody at Nexus America seems to have a good handle on lead times for new Nexus products. I'm sure he'll let us know when something is available.

M.

Edited by Starbuck

I'm told by MCD that Nexus will have a D70/D80 retrofit kit in the near future (no dates yet). It will probably include a new back & other misc control parts to make everything work. They're hoping the cost will be less than the camera body. Keeping my flippers crossed :)

Sponsors

Advertisements