Hi Gang,

I just received 2 Ikelite SS400's that I purchased on Ebay and these things are amazing. At 400 watt seconds, these are 4 times more powerful than most of the strobes we use...and w/ a super wide beam.

They are a bit big for travel, but they will be great for local and pool shooting. They come with built-in slave sensors which hasn't been an option w/ Ikelite strobes in a while. It sure is nice to have (hint hint) :-)

Anyhow, looking fwd to giving these a try when I try to photograph Planet Funk underwater this weekend.

Cheers

James

have you never seen them before?! you noob!!!

they are huge aren't they? but oh the power...

Who you callin' a newb Mike! My 120-fan...:-P I used to have a SS300 long long ago, but sold it when I got 2 SS200's instead.

Can't wait to see what the light is like.

Cheers

James

Big strobes were more popular in the days before using twin strobes became that widespread.

Many of the users of SS400s were Nikonos shooters - with just a single strobe on the top left!

ss400.jpg

As more people started to use twin strobes, so units in the 75-200 WS-1 became more popular.

Alex

I have one, used it with a Nikonos V and loved it. Often thought about getting another...

The thought of two SS400s on an Aquatica AD2x housing makes me want to start weight training though... :blink:

I hope Ike reconsiders someday and starts producing a DS400. :D;)

You can never have too much strobe power! :):):)

You can NOT have mine. I will only give them up when Ike runs out of parts...

You just wait until you're in shallow water in bright sunlight...they are worth every swear word you utter from dragging them around!

All the best, James

Heh, I just blinded myself. "OK, so it says "Off, On, On" I bet that second on is the mod light." Wrong! It test fires the flash AND turns on the mod light. I can barely see now...

James

Those beast are the best for cave diving photography .

Also very useful to use as slave for multiple flash inside big rooms.

Be prepare to sweat carrying it to and from dive site .

A piece of advise .... if you will not use it very often , charge the battery at least once every 2 months to avoid batteries dying prematurely .

Happy shooting

JA

Hi James,

I was thinking about buying a 400 as well. I use the SB 104 so I'm familiar with the size and weight.

I found a black model 400 with battery and charger, is this an older or newer production model than the red orange you have ?

Are you considering changing out the Ni Cad battery pack to NiMH batteries ?

I did to my SB 104 batteries pack and it made a world of difference, larger capacity, and no more memory problems. I have not seen the battery pack in the 400's what type of cell does it use ?

Good luck with your new toys, and if your considering selling one let me know ?

Marc

James, see if you can place welding glass in your mask just in case you do it again!

Hi Guys,

I used the SS400's last night for the underwater photo shoot I did for Planet Funk. I started off using the SS400's outside the pool as slaves and I used 200's on my housing. The 400's slave sensors are good! Fired every time even though they were out of the water and great for creating that "sun is shining" effect from above. Don't worry Ike or Larry, I didn't overheat them :-)

Later, I put one on my housing so I could stop way down and it worked a treat too. Only complaint is slower recycle than I am used to because I'm spoiled from the DS125's and DS200's.

Mark - I am using hte NiCad's and I like them just fine. The Ike chargers keep them in good shape, and they recycle fast. In the past, Ike sold a battery holder for 8 D cells (I think 8, maybe 6 and they might be C's) and I filled one of those up w/ NiMH cells and used it. They didn't seem hugely better, but they were better.

I got these two SS400's on Ebay and I've seen a few more lately. You can get a pretty good price for them - unless this posting makes the demand go way up, lol.

I'll post some pix when I get them developed.

Cheers

James

Hello James,

excuse me for my bad english !

I'm working with housing and DS125 too but now,

i need to buy some powerfull light for backlight,

but if i buy 2 SS400, i need a slave sensor for each, isn't it ?

And what sort of slave sensor do you use ?

The old model (orange color) or new for digital (grey color) ?

For information, i'm using a canon 5D in my housing.

Last question, how do you put your SS400 out the pool ?

Maybe with tripods ?

thank you very much for your help and congratulation about your work !!

Valery.

Edited by tungsten

Hey James,

Remember...it's not the size of the strobe that matters...or was that the size of something else?? haha

Have fun with them. They are sure powerhouses.

Best regards, Jett

I'll post some pix when I get them developed.

Cheers

James

Any pics yet James?

darren

isnt this the strobe that was commonly referred to as "the bomber"? ;-)

Edited by Seriola

Ya, I posted some pix in the thread about the Planet Funk dancers - but it just sort of slipped away w/o many comments. The strobes worked great - they have built in slave sensors on them.

Cheers

James

SubStrobe 400 is history, can not be repaired, and is not useable with most current digital cameras...............

Doh! I better be careful with these two then because I really love them. They work fine with my digital camera - I don't think I'd use them in TTL even if it worked, not for this function at least.

James

SubStrobe 400 is history, can not be repaired, and is not useable with most current digital cameras...............

Sounds like Ike is anxious to make sure a resurgence in demand for the SS400 doesn't occur.

BTW, does anybody know if Ike is still interested in producing an iTTL/eTTL sync cable so we can use our SunStrobes with non-Ikelite housings and get iTTL/eTTL flash metering?

"BTW, does anybody know if Ikelite is still interested in producing an iTTL/eTTL sync cable so we can use our SunStrobes with non-Ikelite housings and get iTTL/eTTL flash metering?"

Interested, yes. Just too far behind and too many projects to make any promises or predictions.

Here's a funny one .... or maybe not - depends on your location!

Several years ago we were on the Bilikiki and down in a bunk room working on my friend's Ike 400/Nikonos system. It was after dinner and several hours into night darkness.

We got ready to do a test firing and decided to aim the beast out the port hole. When it fired, through squinted eyes all we saw was the two eyeballs and a nose of a local native out side in his canoe pressed against the port hole recieving a full dump from the 400 at about 9"!

I think Ike will be making a DS 400 for about 3k. Ahhhh the 400 and the good ol days....man I miss those Baja trips.

Sponsors

Advertisements