Sign in to follow this  
Mikel

Hello from Spain

Hi!

As I've won this week's POTW I think it's fair to present myself here in the forum :blink:

I live in the north of Spain and here, in the Bay of Biscay, we don't have the best conditions for diving and underwater photography. Half of the year the visibility is reduced to a few meters and the water is quite cold (11 to 14ºC) but in this murky and cold waters we can find colourful animals different from others we find in more hot waters and personally, I really like diving here ;)

My equipment is pretty basic: a compact camera, E900 and a flash, D2000 which I use in manual mode. I also have 2 wet macro lenses. With this equipment and considering that where I dive there is not good visibility, 90% of my photos are macro shots.

Here are some photos:

dscf2972oe2.jpg

P. pilicornis

dscf2851fh2.jpg

P. gattorugine

dscf2721ce4.jpg

Mola mola

dscf3005io3.jpg

Serranus cabrilla

dscf0891el2.jpg

Fabellina babai

dscf0953se6.jpg

Janolus cristatus

dscf3026im2.jpg

An octopus

dscf2923rj3.jpg

Sea urchin

dscf1367dx9.jpg

A different one

dscf1243wo3.jpg

Corynactis viridis

I hope you like them!!

Ahh! My name is Mikel :D

Edited by Mikel

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! Your POTW photo is great, but I can't see any of the photos that you posted above... :blink: Maybe your server doesn't allow linking? All I see is "IPB Image".

Luiz

Thanks Luiz!

I have re-uploaded the photos. I hope now to be OK.

BTW, your photos are fantastic!

Hi Mikel, Great photo's. Do you have a website with more of yoru shots?

Hi Mikel,

Did you realize your name is an anagram of like 'm

Oh and to answer your question regarding your shots, yes I do like 'm very much. Some even seem to good to be true. Great work!

Bart

Love the pose you got in that first one. The fish seems to be talking to you! ...

Gary

Hello Mikeeeeel!!! and welcome! :lol:

Congratulations for your POTW!! I think I had already seen most of these great pics "somewhere else" :blush:

Hy Mikel!!

Congratulations!!!

I've seen this pictures before and you know that I like it! :blush:

Thanks to all!

Hi Mikel, Great photo's. Do you have a website with more of yoru shots?

Not yet. But if you want to see some more, I regularly upload photos to www.photo.net. My gallery is www.photo.net/photos/Mikel

At this moment I do not have PS so I can't show new images. In any case, most of them are similar; macro shots.

Hi Mikel,

Did you realize your name is an anagram of like 'm

Bart

:blush::lol::P Not until now! . My languages are basque and spanish; english is just my 3rd language!

BTW, Mikel is Michael in basque.

Edited by Mikel

Mikel, your photographs are wonderful. I am particularly impressed by the clarity and vibrant color. Could you tell us a little about your technique, equipment, post-processing. I cannot see any EXIF data anywhere.

Thanks

Sorry, I saw you did post regarding your equipment, what PS post processing is generally done.

Mikel, your photographs are wonderful. I am particularly impressed by the clarity and vibrant color. Could you tell us a little about your technique, equipment, post-processing. I cannot see any EXIF data anywhere.

Thanks

Sorry, I saw you did post regarding your equipment, what PS post processing is generally done.

Hello loftus, thanks for your words,

I explain a little bit...

The camera is E900 with Ikelite housing (it's the unique for this model) and I use a D2000 flash in manual mode. Nothing more. Normally I shot in RAW so I have to wait 8 seconds between each shot.

The colours are due to Fuji, I like them but I think some people might think are over-saturated. It's just a matter of taste.

I do not do a lot of post-procesing. Just to adjust contrast and brightness in ACR.

What annoys me more about the E900 is the "purple fringing", it is really obvious. There is a plug-in to reduce it but the process it is slow and I don't use it. You can see the purple in almost all the photos I've put in the post.

Ah! To take the macros I use 1 or 2 macro lenses attached to the housing, normally with the closest diaphragm. In my case f8. I think it is because of that, that the "purple finge" appears.

Sorry for my english :blush:

I'd like to have a D200!

Thank you. I think one flash, correctly positioned as you have really provides nice depth to the pics.

Hi Mikel,

Great shots!!!! I'm really jealous with your mola mola..... :blush: ..... i saw the same one but with me it didn't come close at all. I was in Harribolas in the beginning of august and i'm sure we met there. I think you arrived together with your friend every morning around 9.30... I was there camping with my girlfriend in the orange mobile home (VW). Anyway, i was in this diving spot last year as well and this year it seemed that it had much more fish and better visibility then last year. The gorgonians also grew a lot in one year. Also the water temperature wasn't that cold: i had 22 degrees celsius on my computer. Wish i had a home diving spot like you have without many divers..... jealous again.. :blush: ..... i think i'm going to live in the Basque Country, i like it a lot there....;).... Probabaly we come there next year in spring so see lots of nudibranches.... Are the mola molas present all year around?

cheers, Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen

Mikel,

I like your photos!

Your mola is really cool and has a different sort of "look" or "expression" than others I've seen... (if you understand my english).

Yes, Mikel, with those wet lenses, especially stacked there is all kinds of fringing issues. I use them on almost every shot I take with the Fuji F810. I found a manual fix on a bird photography site and I use that, no plug ins. But it does take some time in PS and you have to be smart to target the proper colors in the fringing and not the general colors in the shot.

If your plug in works I'd use it, even if it takes a little time your photos are very good so it would be worth the time investment.

My solution for the fringing issues with the Inon wet lenses and the fuji is to get a new DSLR in a couple of months as I've had enough of it. The higher quality lenses will fix about 85% of the fringing issues, I know I've shot my Fuji and a D70 at the same subject back to back and an enormous difference in the fringing issues. I think it is the lower quality of the wet lenses that causes it, not as much the exposure or flash placement in my experience.

Just FYI. Still your photos are GREAT!! :blush:

Best, Carol B)

Hi Mikel,

Great shots!!!! I'm really jealous with your mola mola..... :blush: ..... i saw the same one but with me it didn't come close at all. I was in Harribolas in the beginning of august and i'm sure we met there. I think you arrived together with your friend every morning around 9.30... I was there camping with my girlfriend in the orange mobile home (VW). Anyway, i was in this diving spot last year as well and this year it seemed that it had much more fish and better visibility then last year. The gorgonians also grew a lot in one year. Also the water temperature wasn't that cold: i had 22 degrees celsius on my computer. Wish i had a home diving spot like you have without many divers..... jealous again.. :blush: ..... i think i'm going to live in the Basque Country, i like it a lot there....;).... Probabaly we come there next year in spring so see lots of nudibranches.... Are the mola molas present all year around?

cheers, Udo

Hi Udo!!

Yes, you are right, I'm the tall one!!

To come here to dive is a little bit risky, you can find a really poor visibility or just not to be able to dive because of the bad weather. Even if you don't believe it, in july we had for more than a week no more than 2 metres of visibility in the same spot you were.

In any case, we have had a really good august with a lot of Mola mola, fish and different species, for me the best dive in summer was when we saw sea-cucumbers spawning http://www.afotos.net/public/albunes/920/DSCF2781.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4255/dscf2780fj4.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8086/dscf2786tp1.jpg

Sunfish in Harribolas are not during all the year, but if you go with a boat you might see them in other dive points. Most of the sunfish we normally saw were really fast, it was like to see sharks in Maldives or the South of the Red Sea, but some of them wanted to be cleaned, and thus the photos I took

http://www.wetpixel.com/competition/index....try&id=1653

http://www.afotos.net/public/albunes/920/DSCF2746.jpg

If you come here in spring, send me a message before. What you probably find is much poor visibility (5-10 if you are lucky), not sunny days but many nudibranchs, some really beautiful fish (like Labrus bimaculatus), and more vegetation. Here are some photos of my collegue, he takes better photos than me:D All of them taken this spring.

http://www.forobuceo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....&highlight=

http://www.forobuceo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....&highlight=

Cheers.

Mikel,

My solution for the fringing issues with the Inon wet lenses and the fuji is to get a new DSLR in a couple of months as I've had enough of it. The higher quality lenses will fix about 85% of the fringing issues, I know I've shot my Fuji and a D70 at the same subject back to back and an enormous difference in the fringing issues. I think it is the lower quality of the wet lenses that causes it, not as much the exposure or flash placement in my experience.

Just FYI. Still your photos are GREAT!! ;)

Best, Carol B)

Yes, I agree. That is the solution!

Nice stuff. Were those shot in Spain? Those are similar cold water species as here in California. I'm supposed to get out diving today but the Santa Ana winds might blow us to the bar instead.

Here are some photos of my collegue, he takes better photos than me

i don't agree with you on that...

BTW, 2 m of visibility isn't that bad. Here in the netherlands we're happy with that you know, the only problem might be the swell but harribolas is around a corner that makes diving very often possible i was told and otherwise we still can dive in the Elantxobe harbour isn't it? Me and my girlfriend got somewhat addicted to diving in the BC, but we should stop talking about diving there.... i like it quit over there....

cheers, udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen

Bienvenidos, Mikel.

I wouldn't worry about the D200. Some of your shots are better than stuff I've seen from a D2X. Sometimes, actually a lot of times, it's not the camera but the photographer. :blush:

Sometimes, actually a lot of times, it's not the camera but the photographer.

... i would say: it's always the person behind the camera who does the job. BTW, with a D200 or D2X you can do more but you can also screw it up more...

Nice stuff & very similar to what I find in the mediterrean, but you are on the ocean side wright?

Could you tell me about the Mola Mola ? How did you find them, at the coast or out in the bleu, do you see them regulary ?

I like your pictures and especially the oursin abstracts.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Bienvenidos, Mikel.

I wouldn't worry about the D200. Some of your shots are better than stuff I've seen from a D2X. Sometimes, actually a lot of times, it's not the camera but the photographer. :)

I think the main problem with compact cameras is not just the image quality but that you can't always take the photo you want. For example: in E900 there is a lot of delay between photos, the auto focus is not as fast as DSLR one and it is not as reliable, you can't change the curtain, when taking macro shots with attached lenses (which is essential to use them) the DOF is reduced to few mm, much less than with a DSLR, you can't take half/half shots, etc.

I only can find one point in which compact cameras are superior, the size. And that makes you able to take photos in small places.

Nice stuff & very similar to what I find in the mediterrean, but you are on the ocean side wright?

Could you tell me about the Mola Mola ? How did you find them, at the coast or out in the bleu, do you see them regulary ?

I like your pictures and especially the oursin abstracts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Biscay

Probably I have no chosen the most representative photos of the Bay of Biscay... I live in the Basque Country which is in the right part of the Bay and is a little bit hotter than the left part. Some species are similar here and in the Mediterranean, but they do not appear in the left part of the Bay. In any case, the underwater life here is quite different from the Mediterranean one and the water is colder.

The Mola mola are no so common here but in some areas you can find them regularly. Don't ask in a diving center that you want to see them because they will not assure you to find them. For 2 months we have been seeing Mola mola almost all the dives but now it seems that they have gone.

Ah! my dives are at the coast, I go with my equipment, a friend, my small camera, and that's all :P

Mikel

Edited by Mikel

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements