gary-j

Strange Vancouver Jelly Fish

Here are a couple of pics of a strange Jelly which was encountered off of Vancouver Island. The body was 18-24 inches across. Nobody I have talked to has seen one before. Any Ideas????

Thanks

Gary

post-7446-1158711678_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of a strange Jelly which was encountered off of Vancouver Island. The body was 18-24 inches across. Nobody I have talked to has seen one before. Any Ideas????

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary--

Welcome to Wetpixel. That is a beauty and quite odd - where are the feeding tentacles?. One of the top west coast jelly experts is in your neck of the woods -- Claudia Mills at the U. Washington Friday Harbor Lab. You'll find her email address on her web page plus a whole lot of jelly links at http://faculty.washington.edu/cemills/

Good luck -

Leslie

Okay it seems to be a lion's mane jelly - Cyanea capillata - that's lost all of its tentacles. Odd, very odd....

Yah, looked like a lions mane...

But, as noted, without tenacles... had me wondering there too..

strange...

Here's some lions mane, they're all over Puget Sound and up at Sunshine Coast >Porpoise Bay etc...

(apologies, out of focus)

post-1459-1158874006_thumb.jpg

Edited by fpoole

Yah, looked like a lions mane...

But, as noted, without tenacles... had me wondering there too..

strange...

Here's some lions mane, they're all over Puget Sound and up at Sunshine Coast >Porpoise Bay etc...

(apologies, out of focus)

Actually Frank, that's a scrambled egg jelly; the lion's mane are red and more segmented.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick

Actually Frank, that's a scrambled egg jelly; the lion's mane are red and more segmented.

Jack

Yah, I just say one over on NW divers, Jon...

so we'll try this one?? mo'reddish?

I had thought the Yolks were smaller ones.. but I'm finding that they are not.. so this might be a yolker too..jeeez, now i don't know... heheh...

post-1459-1158876692_thumb.jpg

Yah, I just say one over on NW divers, Jon...

so we'll try this one?? mo'reddish?

I had thought the Yolks were smaller ones.. but I'm finding that they are not.. so this might be a yolker too..jeeez, now i don't know... heheh...

Yeah, just stick your hand in and see :blush:

I think this is a Lion's Mane. From my eye the Scambleds have sort of clumps of, well, scrambled eggs, inside of a translucent bell. The Lions have more even color.

Jack

fpoole, Both of those photos are of Phacellophora, or "Fried-Egg" jellies. Cyanea doesn't have tentacles growing from the lobes/margin. Instead they are attached to the subumbrella, right next to the oral arms.

Cheers,

Wyatt

ps Gary, those first photos of cyanea are gorgeous!

Edited by Seriola

Sponsors

Advertisements