scubamarli

Sigma lens use with Aquatica and D200

Well, after changing my mind about the D80, and deciding on the D200 for its ruggedness and current housing availability, I'm pondering my options for wide angle, which I use rarely in our green waters, but do wish to use whilst traveling to warmer waters. (Although I consider the massive setup akin to driving a bus underwater :blush: ) I don't wish to spend a fortune for my occasional use...at the moment, anyway), I have never used a zoom with my film setup, (I used both a 20 and 24mm), but wondered if anyone uses the Sigma 10-20, and if they got a zoom gear made to use with it, and what dioptre they need to use, if any. I know people have used the 15mm with the Canon setup, and seemed pleased. Anyone use it with the D200 housing?

Soon to be saying goodbye to silver halide......

Cheers,

Marli

Hi Marli,

I'd suggest you go for the 10-20mm over the 15mm, for its wider angle at the 10mm end, and because of the versatility of the zoom.

As for zoom gear, depending on the housing you go for, there should already be standard zoom gear rings that work with that lens (I've used that lens with 2 different brands of housings).

As for the question on diopters, some would argue that it's always better to use one with a dome, but if you go for a dome with large enough a diameter, you should get reasonable results without diopters.

Finally with regards to shooting wide-angle in temperate waters, you should check out my article on shooting in low viz in the latest issue of UWP Mag :blush: (shameless self-plug).

I have been using the 14 mm Sigma rectalinear with no issues. Most of my staff are using either a 20mm on D70 or the everfaithfull Nikon 16mm F/E on D70 / 200

All sharp as a tack without any diopters.

I use the 10-20 Sigma (no diopter) and find it a very good lens for u/w work, you would need the zoom gear # 18698 and the extension ring # 18456 (optional but does give better corner sharpness at 10mm), it's a great lens for wreck and split shot and will give a bit more coverage than what you ad with the film/20mm combo, that's good new if you dive murky, get close and see wider = less water column = better colour. there is quite a few chaps and gals shooting with the Sigma 15mm fisheye with outstanding result, you end up with about the same coverage as a 12 or 14mm lens but the added distortion, I personnaly use the Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye, it's a pretty dramatic coverage and most of the magazine cover I did where with this lens. whatever route you go if you get a fisheye, golden rule, you should be as close as your subject allows you to be, they are definitely up in your face, object s are closer than they appear" lenses.

BTW, I consider pushing a wide angle set up with two strobes (larges one at that) outstreched on long arms akin to pushing moose antler (plenty of thoses up in Canada heh! :blush: ) in the water, it's a tough job especially in current, but the result are well worth the effort.

Regards

I can only speak of one Sigma Lens, the 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, which I have on a d200. This after having Canons for 20 years.

I chose this lens over the Nikon 12-24mm because: I tested both and concluded:

1. Optically it performed no better or worse than the nikon. They both have stong and weak points, and on balance it was impossible to pick a winner.

2. the Sigma's extra 8 degrees angle of view over the nikkor 12-24 (it is approx 108 degrees), same as my EF 16-35 2.8L on my full frame EOS 1ds, is very significant. Don't be confused by Sigma's own 102.4 degree angle of view specfication. This is when it is used on a Sigma camera, which has a smaller chip than your d200. As stated earlier is more like 108 degrees.

3. Depending on your circumstances, the $s may be an issue, and in this case the Sigma is well ahead.

4. Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX 's minimum focus is better for dome port use : Sigma 10-20 = 24cm Nikkor 12-24 = 30cm. I'm not sure of the exact setup you will use, but behind the Superdome on my seacam I need no diopter.

darren

Hi Darren,

:D Many thanks for your input, I was wondering if the same applies to the Aquatica 8" dome port ?

I am using a Nikon 17-55mm and no one (in UK or USA) so far was able to tell me if I do indeed need a diopter or not !? :)

^_^ I was told to buy an extra flood alarm and extension rings etc. when my housing came with it !?

I was not advised to buy a zoom gear, and now I need one ! :(

Cheers,

Safe diving.

Ric

I can only speak of one Sigma Lens, the 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, which I have on a d200. This after having Canons for 20 years.

1. Optically it performed no better or worse than the nikon. They both have stong and weak points, and on balance it was impossible to pick a winner.

2. the Sigma's extra 8 degrees angle of view over the nikkor 12-24 (it is approx 108 degrees), same as my EF 16-35 2.8L on my full frame EOS 1ds, is very significant. Don't be confused by Sigma's own 102.4 degree angle of view specfication. This is when it is used on a Sigma camera, which has a smaller chip than your d200. As stated earlier is more like 108 degrees.

3. Depending on your circumstances, the $s may be an issue, and in this case the Sigma is well ahead.

4. Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX 's minimum focus is better for dome port use : Sigma 10-20 = 24cm Nikkor 12-24 = 30cm. I'm not sure of the exact setup you will use, but behind the Superdome on my seacam I need no diopter.

darren

for the AQUATICA 8" dome, the 17-55 would benefit from a diopter (Its minimum focus is quite far for a dome, whatever make it is), preferably a +3 that closely matches the dome optic, useless to say to get a good brand :) the zoom gear number is #18711, the rextension ring is # 18457.

Concerning the Sigma 10-20mm I use it myself, great little lens for the price, the zoom gear is #18698, the extension ring is #18456 and no diopter is required (the minimum focusing is much closer than the 17-55)

Regards

Wow, great tips !

A huge thank you.

...but where can I get a +3 diopter !?

I can hardly find a +4 ! – Is there a big difference, to use the 17-55mm with an 8" dome port ??

Cheers,

R :):(

darren

I am sorry. This could all be true. But I am still not convinced about the build quality of Sigma lenses. I have used several Sigma lenses. My expensive Sigma 300/2.8 needs to be repared and I am sure that would never have happened with a Nikon. It's almost breaking into two parts. Personally I will never spend money on Sigma again.

That's why I have a Nikon 12-24. I can always use my 10.5 when that's not wide enough.

But, I must be honest. I would like to try the 10-20 Sigma. The zoom range sounds very usable.

Try getting a B&W (Schneider Kreuznack), there good, but you might have to order from your camera dealer, not acurrent shelf item i'm affraid, Bloody landlubbers ! they only think of the carry terrestial stuff :( .

The +3 is the closest to the optical formula of the 8" dome, I have book burried under a ton of paper somewhere that as a smart and educated explanation/formula, but if memoryserves me well, our fellow wetpixelite Jolly wrote a feature on this a while ago, dig in the feature section, it might still be there. I'd explain it if only I could remember the formula, oh hell ! it's one of thoses go ask your Mom question :) the earth is round, the sky is blue and you need a +3 diopter !

Sponsors

Advertisements