Sign in to follow this  
wolf

Aquatica and the Nikkor 24-85mm

Got a question for Aquatica and Aquatica users here. I have a 24-85mm zoom that I want to use u/w and i have absolutely no idea what zoom gear and extension ring to use. Anyone have any idea?

Tim

Got a question for Aquatica and Aquatica users here. I have a 24-85mm zoom that I want to use u/w and i have absolutely no idea what zoom gear and extension ring to use. Anyone have any idea?

Tim

call blake at aquatica, very helpful

Make sure you specify whether it's the F2.8 or the F3.5AFS lens.

Cheers

James

Good luck. I tried using the Nikkor 24-85 with my old Subal film camera housing (F801s). I was able to get a ring that worked for the zoom, but I found the results terrible. Every roll I shot with that lens u/w sucked bigtime. Someone here once posted a message saying that they had decent results shooting the 24-85 underwater, but I have no idea how they did it.

It's not bad on the cropped sensor camera behind a flat port. Makes a decent fish-photo zoom lens.

Cheers

James

Here is the link to our web site, click the tab >digital housing< then select a Nikon body, and select lens chart, you will have a PDF file ready for printing, please stay tune as our web site will undergo major surgery, this should make it a lot more user friendly and easier to access gear, extension and ports needed.

http://aquatica.ca/catalog.htm#

Here is the link to our web site, click the tab >digital housing< then select a Nikon body, and select lens chart, you will have a PDF file ready for printing, please stay tune as our web site will undergo major surgery, this should make it a lot more user friendly and easier to access gear, extension and ports needed.

http://aquatica.ca/catalog.htm#

Already printed out the lens chart and the retail price list :P Getting blake to help on this one too. Think I would need a diopter as well to get better results.

I suspect I would need:

#18696 zoom gear: The lens has the same diameter and the 18-70mm Zoom in the Aquatica Lens Chart

#18456 extension ring : the lens is about 20mm shorter than the 105mm VR when fully extended.

Correct me if I am wrong..please :)

Edit: Just got home and measured the lens.... sigh

Edited by wolf

That looks good for me also, about the diopter, it should'nt absolutely require one, but a +3 shure would'nt hurt, but do get a quality one, the one that come in kits of +1,+2,+4 are usually quite poor opticaly, better buy a single good one, B&W comes to mind but i'm shure there are other quality brand, if you have the extension ring for the 105 VR already, use it, there is not that dramatic a difference between the two rings,

In General It help if you post the complete set-up, EI: housing for what camera, complete lens info, aperture, filter size, feature, how old is the lens... many lens have changed design over the years and sometime a 24-85 is not your 24-85, things like AFS or ED or DX can tell us which variant we are dealing with, and also tell us the planned use for the lens underwater, it's not were curious, but if someone come's up with a lens like yours and want to do fish portrait, he or she get a green light from me, but if the planned use is shooting wreck, then we have issues :), it just that it help tailor the system when you have the complete picture (pun intended)

Regards

That looks good for me also, about the diopter, it should'nt absolutely require one, but a +3 shure would'nt hurt, but do get a quality one, the one that come in kits of +1,+2,+4 are usually quite poor opticaly, better buy a single good one, B&W comes to mind but i'm shure there are other quality brand, if you have the extension ring for the 105 VR already, use it, there is not that dramatic a difference between the two rings,

In General It help if you post the complete set-up, EI: housing for what camera, complete lens info, aperture, filter size, feature, how old is the lens... many lens have changed design over the years and sometime a 24-85 is not your 24-85, things like AFS or ED or DX can tell us which variant we are dealing with, and also tell us the planned use for the lens underwater, it's not were curious, but if someone come's up with a lens like yours and want to do fish portrait, he or she get a green light from me, but if the planned use is shooting wreck, then we have issues :), it just that it help tailor the system when you have the complete picture (pun intended)

Regards

it is the Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED AF-S to be exact.

The specs are here:

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/product...5-45g/index.htm

I am using the AD200, with the D200. I have the components for the 105mmVR, the 60mm Micro, and the Sigma 15-30mm. And I want the 24-85mm for fish portraits and sharks, mantas and the like. :P Looks like I only need to get the zoom gear.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements