Alex_Mustard

D2X Firmware upgrade

Nikon has uploaded the second firmware update for the D2X today. DPReview has a listing of the major updates (which seem very extensive - I never knew my camera had so many problems!):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100301nikonfirmware.asp

And since I am in a good mood today I will include this quote from DPReview "Major Kudos to Nikon for delivering such a wide range of new features to existing customers by firmware."

I like the sound of the black and white mode. I wonder if the firmware has an effect on the look of the LCD screen - a la Kriptap's post about the D2Xs in this forum?

Alex

I like the mirror lock up without needing the external battery pack..

I wonder if the D2X will have Auto ISO like the new D80 (which is a cool feature)...

M.

I like the sound of the black and white mode. I wonder if the firmware has an effect on the look of the LCD screen - a la Kriptap's post about the D2Xs in this forum?

Alex

Me too, let me know after you do the upgrade.... :)

Rand

I did the upgrade and didn't notice any difference so far (autofocus seems the same to me too), but Patrick said that it is more apparent underwater. I will see how different it looks in a couple weeks when I go to Palau.

Being a chicken I waited 24 hours, but I have done mine now. I don't notice any difference in the AF - but it is hard to tell without being in my normal shooting environment - the sea!

The black and white mode is fun - although I doubt I will ever use it for serious shooting. Actually I have just thought of a use. It will be ideal for checking the effect of some of the filters I use for black and white photography - although I would always switch back to Adobe RGB & RAW to take the actual shots. The main filter I use for black and whites makes all the pictures look green!

Alex

To be safe, you can always d/l ver 1.1 to revert back if it bombs.

I just upgraded my bodies. The B&W looks nice, but that can be done in Photoshop.

The color scheme of the menu's look nice. But I wonder if your pictures will look better because of that :)

I agree Andre,

I would always make my delivery images BW in post processing - but when I am shooting BW it would be nice to have an idea of tones etc on the back of the camera. Especially when using filters.

Therefore I like the idea of have a black and white preview mode. So I can get an accurate idea of what my BWs will look like while I am UW.

Alex

So you will have the best of both worlds Alex, I heard that the RAW file is still saved in color, only the JPG is B&W.

Luiz

So you will have the best of both worlds Alex, I heard that the RAW file is still saved in color, only the JPG is B&W.

Luiz

I thought that RAW files don't hold any color information. Colors are derived by the Raw software (Bayern algorithm). So it could be true that the color information could still be retreived from the RAW. What would the color space be in that case? I will have to check.

Sponsors

Advertisements