Chris_Duncan

Wetsuit Recommendation Wanted

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to San Diego and I need to buy an appropriate wetsuit (I only have 3mm and thinner). I was leaning towards one of the following wetsuits and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them (or any other suit that someone would recommend). Your input is appreciated.

Akona 7mm Fullsuit (about $150)

Bare Hydrostretch 7/6mm Velocity (about $210)

Henderson Hyperstretch Gold Core 7/5mm (about $380)

Chris

I use a 7mm Scubapro Everflex and love it. Wetsuits have not been Scubapro's forte in the past, but this one is well worth it and a pretty good cost. The movement is incredible for a 7mm and keeps you warm very well. Highly recommend it.

Bryce

I wear the Henderson 7/5 Gold Core when I dive the caverns and springs in Central Florida; keeps me warm and almost dry all day. I have not tried other brands, but I really love it.

I wear the Henderson 7/5 Gold Core when I dive the caverns and springs in Central Florida; keeps me warm and almost dry all day. I have not tried other brands, but I really love it.

I'm a bit confused... I didn't know that Henderson made a hyperstretch gold core...

At any rate we are CA divers and wear the 7/5 Gold Core. We also wear a full hooded vest underneath.

My vest is also a gold core and my wife's vest is a Hyperstretch

We find this to be just barely tolerable some days here in CA. The Yukon and Point Loma are too cold for this IMHO. The Coranados are quite nice with this rig.

We did spring for the gold core boots and they were a definite upgrade from our original ones.

The Gold Core lining dries pretty quickly but can be tough to get on if you sweat at all. Particularly the calves and arms. I've torn my right sleeve twice.

The wife liked her hyperstretch vest so much that all her warm water suits are hyperstretch.

Mind you that she wears a 3mm with a 5/3 hyperstretch hooded vest in warm water.

I'm happy in a 2mm or just my vest in the warmer climes and even I find the CA water too cold.

Good luck in your quest... I definitely recommend a full overjacket for surface intervals.

Edited by hoovermd

Look at 'Pinnacle'.

They have wist and neck seals, so they don't 'pump' cold water in/out

Get the one with the Merino wool lining.

Look at 'Pinnacle'.

They have wist and neck seals, so they don't 'pump' cold water in/out

Get the one with the Merino wool lining.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to a dive shop today and tried on the Pinnacle 7/5 with the merino wool lining and an Aqualung Flex 7mm. They didn't have a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch or any Gold Core suits.

I liked the fit of the Aqualung better than the Pinnacle, but it didn't have the nice seals around the neck, wrists and ankles. The Aqualung was also much easier to move around in. The Pinnacle felt like it was doing my walking for me.

I'm leaning towards getting the Aqualung 7mm fullsuit with a henderson gold core vest and boots.

Thanks again for the info. I heard that visibility at La Jolla was 40' and that was good. This should be quite a contrast to what I am used to diving.

Here's a review of the gold core hyperstretch:

http://www.scubadiving.com/index2.php?opti...op=1&page=4

Some online shops are selling the 7/5 gold core hyperstretch with hood for about $475.

$475? Gosh, for that price, why not get a custom fit suit. I got mine from http://www.aquaflite.com , though I've heard of a good place in Bali that I might try out next time I go through there. Aquaflite has a lining material called "Oceanliner" that is like Henderson's Gold Core -- it has been very durable for me. Maybe the hyperstretch is more comfortable. Luckily for me, Hendersons don't fit!

Mike

Edited by MikeO

With the upper end prices you're quoting, and since you're in socal and all, you are just a stone's throw away from JMJ Wetsuits.

You can NOT imagine the quality of work. Superb. And you'll be measured and fit by the same person who makes the suit.

With all that said, do yourself a favor, and bite the bullet for a dry suit. Although if you go that route, steer clear of Dry Until Immersed...

All the best, James

I stand corrected!

As an owner of a 7/5 "Original" Gold core and also some Hyperstretch I don't see how they did it. Seems like the lining would be incompatable witht he outer skin.

Oh, forgot to mention that the Hyperstretch suits that we have look pretty ratty once they have come in contact with any velcro :)

Here's a review of the gold core hyperstretch:

http://www.scubadiving.com/index2.php?opti...op=1&page=4

Some online shops are selling the 7/5 gold core hyperstretch with hood for about $475.

I would defintly go for a one of Waterproofs newest suits. I just bought one and I must say that I have never find one that lets me move around this much. Especially the gloves are wonderful. Chech them out on http://www.waterproof-gear.com/ or http://www.waterproof.se/main.php

I agree. For a wetsuit I would go for Waterproof. I won one with a photo contest and I am very, very happy with it.

I agree. For a wetsuit I would go for Waterproof. I won one with a photo contest and I am very, very happy with it.

I saw the Waterproof suits at DEMA and they are beautiful. the construction, look, flexibility everything. also people who've tried them rave about them but i think they're hard to find in the states.

I do love my Henderson 5mm gold core, because in between dives or on the boat trip back everyone else is peeling off their freezing cold & wet wetsuits when my drying gold core keeps me toasty after dives too (it really is key).

That being said, I would never dive wet in Cali again, did it once and would go dry if i lived there.

Chris

HI ALL,

I also would say have a look at waterproof I have a lynx with matching hood

& gloves & boots all GREAT KIT :P:D

Andy

Brrrrrrrrrr. Check out DUI dry suits.

Sponsors

Advertisements