Sign in to follow this  
marbiol

First DSLR... Options

I've been shooting with film SLRs and prosumer digitals for a fair time now but I'm looking to make the jump over to a DSLR as the prices are now getting down to what I can actually afford.

However, I have been offered a Fuji S2 Pro (used but in good condition - only indoor use and retired because the owner bought a D200) for about 6-700 NZD (400-470 USD) and I was wondering what people thought about that as an option instead of a current entry level Nikon body.

I can't replace my lenses right now so Canon isn't really an option.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this and how the S2 compares to current DSLRs picture quality wise.

Thanks,

Dan.

The fuji is essentially a d100, the flash sync speed in only 1 1/125 slower than the slow 1/180 of the d100 I believe and that is not all that fast, however I believe the fuji is a mechanical shutter which will give you ttl undewater and that is a nice tool to have. I think the price is fair today, not the next couple of months, I wouldn't get it. I am not sure how many housings are around either, that could be an added expense. The d80 is worth the extra money I would go with that. Comming from a film background I think the 5-6mp cameras will dissapoint you.

Quality rumours are around that Nikon is going to release a d60, may or may not be this year or maybe this month. The price point will be around 500.00 so that will kill the fuji value. If you need something today I would look into a d70s or d50 and get more of an updated camera than the fuji and lots of housing for the d70's around. The d80 is really the best thing going for underwater in value. The d200 is even better, but the value ofthe D80 is significant it is the way to go for under 1000.00 I also think it being so new and so updated with 10mp it will be more of an investment than the fuji was the day it came out.

-Steve

Edited by Photobeat

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements