plombar

Canon XM2/GL2 underwater

I am using Canon XM2 (GL2) and WD-58H (wide lens) for few years on land. Now I'd like to buy housing, but I am undecided between Ikelite and Equinox. Did anybody here have experience with XM2 underwater? Is XM2 camera good enough to filming video uw. I know that Sony TR900/950 have great lux ratio, but what about XM2? Thanks in advance for answers.

/peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry no knowledge of the Canon. The 900/950 Lux rating is not 'great' so to speak..If I remember rightly it was around 7-9lux, so more 'acceptable'..You will need, really at least 3-4Lux for decent lowlight performance.

I love the avatar by the way... :)

Dive safe

DeanB

Plombar

The XM2/GL2 is a great camera with sharp resolution and colors. The picture quality is better than the PDx10/TRV950 with about the same low light performance.

The thing to look out for is the dome port design for the WD58. Ikelite use to use a Raynox WA and I don't know what Equinox uses. You may also want to consider gates and sealux, the aluminum housings with built lenses.

With the right access to image controls, the XM2 is a fantastic DV camera.

Dear scubadru,

thanks for useful info. If I understand right your message, Ikelite use internal WD-58 + Raynox WA outside (mounted on flat port). Little strange for me? Is any possibilty to use external LCD monitor (2,5"- 4") recommended from Ikelite?

Thanks again

/peter

Plombar, I'm not familiar with Ikelite's catalog. You'll have to ask them those specific questions. But I don't think they have external monitor systems.

I believe they use a Raynox only on a domeport, or at least use to. Their ports have a specific diameter to fit certain lenses.

Thanks for reply,

now, I am waiting for answers from housings producers:

Equinox

No response at all. Strange feeling, local dealer here was cut of Equinox. I received few mails from unsatisfied Equinox users. Equinox is no option any more.

GatesHousings

Fast response, great support, hi-quality, hi-price, far away (USA), unfortunately out of my budget.

Sealux

Fast response, producer is not far away from me, but regrettably, Sealux do not have a housing for the requested camcorder in programme.

Subal (Light and Motion)

Fast response, but unfortunately Subal do not offer a housing for the XM2.

Ikelite

Great support from local dealer in Slovenia, fast delivery. Waiting for response.

I would appreciate any information about other housing producers.

/peter

Edited by plombar

Kraj ni, Peter? Ljubliana?

Sretno on the housing. Don't think LM makes a housing for the GL/XM2.

Hello,

I am using the Equinox with a GL2 and it is great. Please feel free to write.

Chris

ps (This was originally longer but the mouse moved and I klicked on a link erasing it)

Hi Cris,

at least one with Equinox for XM2/GL2 :)

Well, I have few questions:

1. Is inside mechanicly adjustment for manual focus directly to ring of camera (not only command to switch Manual/Auto Focus)?

2. Which brand of 0.5 wide lens is in package, is better then original Canon WD-58?

3. Do you have 2.5" LCD monitor? On other rig I have 4" and is big enough. What about view angle, up/down? Where is accumulator for LCD and what type A/h?

I know, a lot of questions, but thanks in advance.

/peter

1. Is inside mechanicly adjustment for manual focus directly to ring of camera (not only command to switch Manual/Auto Focus)?

There is a turn knob on the front left (looking from behind) that is connected via a belt inside to the manual focus ring

2. Which brand of 0.5 wide lens is in package, is better then original Canon WD-58?

The lense is a Digital Optics .45x stating it does 180 degree viewing. I feel the Canon lense is better, but have had no real issue with this other then some vignetting when fully zoomed out. Which Equinox said i would have none of.

3. Do you have 2.5" LCD monitor? On other rig I have 4" and is big enough. What about view angle, up/down? Where is accumulator for LCD and what type A/h?

Yes i purchased the 2.5" LCD, I mostly use it to set my zoom to cancel the vignetting when i start out. Other then that I use the camera's viewfinder as a quick reference to what I am shooting at. The view angle isn't to bad, but it ships with a hood ontop. Not sure what you mean by the accumulator. The LCD hooks up to the TV out on the camera and is powered by a seperate 9V RC car battery.

The housing itself is great, but the customer service leaves much to be desired. It is a large item out of the water, but in the water it flows beautifully.

If you need any pictures of the setup let me know or if you have any other questions.

Chris

Chris, great reply,

if Equinox have you for support :) Yes, I like to see some pictures of focus belt control, LCD details... If you are so kind, please send me to my e-mail, which I leave in PM, thanks.

Now, waiting for official answer from Equinox european dealer and then decide between Ikelite and Equinox.

/peter

Dear Chris,

thank you very much for help. Everything on pictures is almoust clear, I like it, except vignetting thing with Digital Optics .45x, which make Equinox unprofessional. My opinion.

/peter

I agree with the vignetting. They stated to me that I hadto wait for this lense to come in because it would have no vignetting. I am thinking of getting a 58mm extension that is about an 1/8" thick to try to get rid of it. I will let you know what Equinox says after I contact them. Other then that I used it today again and it does handle beautifully in the water.

Chris

Chris,

is vignetting result of incorrect lens combinations:

dark blurred edges?

vignetting-blur.jpg

or cuted edges? problem with improper lens diameter or distance to dome port protector or too little front hole?

vignetting-port.jpg

I hope on dry there is no vignetting? What type dome port you have. Is similar like here Equinox HD HVX200PRO or HC1PRO?

/peter

Edited by plombar

Peter

I have been in contact with Equinox. The corner cutting I am getting is a result of the black ring for the filters getting in the wide angle. We are working on resolving this issue and will keep you informed.

Chris

Peter

Equinox sent out today a new black ring for the front of the housing. It is .250" narrower and should take care of the problem that I had. Will let you know how it works.

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements