I was thinking of buying one of the Atomic Masks. Has anyone been using them and can provide feedback?

Steve B)

I was thinking of buying one of the Atomic Masks. Has anyone been using them and can provide feedback?

Steve B)

GREAR MASK... LOVE MINE

Yep - I've used one for a couple of years, and have another as backup. Great, low-volume masks!

Get a mask that fits _your_ face.

Other things to consider for UW photography:

-black skirt on the mask, instead of clear (no distracting glare from the sides of your mask)

-low volume (your eyes are closer to the glass and closer to the view finder if you're shooting an SLR.)

-no purge valve (one less thing to break)

I use the cressi-sub super occhio, a low-volume freediving mask with black skirt. (that's what fits me best.)

Four people on my course as part of Cayman Digital Madness had them and they all raved about them. Steve Frink also uses one. They were also one of the sponsors of the event so several more people are now owners as they won them!

It left me really wanting one - but they are not easy to find in the UK.

Alex

If you are going to the Dive Show Alex, I can get you one. Or you can ask Typhoon yourself! I have both the Subframe and the Frameless. The Subframe is built like an BradleyFV and, for old codgers, it can be supplied with lenses in Plus ratings.

I've only tried the frameless ones and they are great. Very similar to the Oceanic Shadow, which is my favorite mask as it fits my big nose. If I didn't have 3 masks, I'd get one. The glass is very clear although I personally didn't notice a difference vs my oceanic, but the viz we were in was pretty murky.

I switched to the Frameless, from a Mares X-Vision, a couple months ago.

I am overjoyed, mostly because it seems to have been molded just for me! At last, a perfect fit.

The skirt material is noticably softer, and the workmanship is quite high. It is agreeably low volume and great width of vision, too.

As for the much-ballhooed ultraclear glass, I haven't seen a speck of difference in my color perception.

All the best, James

I agree with Chris' points:

1. make sure the mask fits your face (that's the trouble with mail-ordering masks. I remember one I ordered - can't remember brand or model - that simply didn't fit me, and had to give it to a friend).

2. Black skirt, not clear - my Atomic masks have black skirts

3. Low volume - I have the Atomic frameless, and it is an excellent low-volume mask.

I also vastly prefer two-lens masks (like the Atomic) to the ones with "side windows" -- for the same reason as the black skirt: you don't want light coming in from the side if you're trying to take photos.

I haven't noticed that the glass in the Atomic is any "clearer" than any other good mask I've used. But it's certainly no worse, either. All in all, a great mask IF it fits your face.

HI ALL,

You can get these masks in the UK, I have one

& they are brilliant :):D

Andy :P:)

Hi all,

Just had a gander at the typhoon site and WOW !!! their pic for the 'heated waistbelt' is a must..Take a look.

www.typhoon-int.co.uk/pages/all_products

Certainly got my waist heated :D

Dive safe

DeanB

P.s if we attack a stall 'en mass' with the atomic mask, hopefully we can get a discount.. :)

I have heard great things .. just haven't had my hands on one yet

check this out

http://dive.scubadiving.com/insider/index....e-shooter-mask/

Looks like the Oceanic Shadow to me:

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_masks_shadow.html

My wife and I have four -- we love 'em. Low volume, soft, comfortable, and doesn't leak. Since the glass sits close to the face, the nose pocket can seem a little wide, but you get used to it.

LateR!

js.

My very old Oceanic Shadow became billions and billions of little masks when I unpacked it from my Thailand trip in April.

I bought the Atomic Frameless black. It's pretty good, but I like the fit of the Shadow better. There is a new Atomic Frameless now out for smaller faces. I think the Shadow had a lower volume.

which is my favorite mask as it fits my big nose.
the nose pocket can seem a little wide, but you get used to it.
He He He !!

Thanks all for the reply. I just had lens put into 2 of my current masks but that Atomic looks soooooo good and sounds as even a lowly videographer like myself would benefit from the higher quality glass. Hope they will have a good deal at Dema.

Steve B)

I bought an Atomic frameless earlier this summer. Great looking mask but unfortunately, the seal doesn't work with my face even though it sealed well in the shop. The bottom of the skirt has a slight cutout towards the nose, so I end up with a slight leak that get's annoying thru the dive. Mind you I have a small Asian nose... I've since sold it to a British friend of mine as it fits his face much better. Luckily I've found the Oceanic Shadow fits me perfectly...

Hi all,

Just had a gander at the typhoon site and WOW !!! their pic for the 'heated waistbelt' is a must..Take a look.

www.typhoon-int.co.uk/pages/all_products

Certainly got my waist heated ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

P.s if we attack a stall 'en mass' with the atomic mask, hopefully we can get a discount.. :)

Careful Dean!

I am in serious trouble with the ladies of Hecate (Yorkshire Divers) for photographing a young woman in a swimming costume to illustrate an item about entry-level BCs in this month's Diver mag. They say they have never seen anyone go diving in only a swimming costume - well, I agree, not in Stoney Cove!

Kudos John..

Just had a flick through to see what the commotion was about.. :)

You jacksey sod.. :wub:

I don't think I've seen her up Stoney either..

A friend of mine phoned me last saturday night (I was the only one he new who took photo's ?) He was trying to shoot amatuer glamour shots of a couple of lady friends. Apparently for a surprise calendar for one of their boyfriends. When I got up to his place the girls in question were half cut and in their skimpy undies... :o

My lasting memory is of him knelt down 12 inches away from this 'bent over' young lady, turning to me and saying (with a wicked look) "Wildlife my arse" ;)

Dive safe

Dean(changing his outlook)B

As one of the bods in Alex's posse with the Atomic Frameless (my girlfriend was one of the others) I have to say it's easily the best mask I've used, by a long way. For a low volume mask the skirt fits a remarkable range of face shapes, and the glass is superb.

mg0977uw3.jpg

It did take a really good scrubbing with the Soft Scrub to get the glass clean enough to stop fogging, but after that it was crystal.

Martyn

For those who have used the Cressi Big eyes mask and the Atomic frameless mask, how do the two compare?

I have a Cressi Big eyes mask which until recently I had felt was the cat's pajamas, but after reading some of the rave reviews of the Atomic mask.....

I have to wonder if it's better........ :)

Edited by Jamdiver

HI ALL,

I have also got a Cressi Penta mask which is a very good mask but it not

in the same league as my new Atomic mask which is exellent , expensive though

but well worth the cost :);)

Andy :wub::o

My Aqualung rep was in today, he had their newest-latest-and-greatest. Darn it if I can't remember what they called it, but it's VERY similar to the atomic subframe, which I don't feel is very different from my atomic frameless. I thought that the frameless had a great strap system. I do think the new Aqualung's is better.

Dang, I'm going to have to call em and see what they were going to call it. It's available in November...

I feel obliged to say that everything Atomic makes seems to be made up to a standard rather than down to a price.

Sponsors

Advertisements