Sign in to follow this  
Nick Hope

Discovery Requirements

An independent distribution company sent me an excerpt of Discovery Communications' requirements for HD programs. Just thought I'd share it for the ambitious/hopeful amongst you. I guess if HDV was transferred to HDCAM then it would be OK.

The "Materials" for each Program shall consist of the following:

(i) HD-D5 or HDCAM STEREO PROGRAM MASTER (MONO COMPATIBLE)

The videotape must meet the following specifications:

VIDEOTAPE MASTERS: All technical aspects of the HD video shall conform to one of the following standards 1080 i / 59.94, 1080 i / 50, 1080 p / 25, 1080 p / 23.98, or 1035 i / 59.94, and mastered on D5 or HDCAM video tape formats. Full screen program master video with an aspect ratio of 1.77 (16 x 9) is required.

SOURCE MATERIAL: Maximum of 25% non-HD material is allowed in Program, with no more than 1-minute of continuous non-HD footage in any sequence (ie. archive, NTSC/PAL footage). Use of mini DV, DV, DVC Pro footage is not accepted for use in HD Programs. Footage acquired on 35mm film, may be used and considered as HD source material if it has been transferred using a datacine at HD resolution. Full screen Program video with an aspect ratio of 1.77 (16:9) is required.

Yes upconverting HDV to HDCAM would be ok. I've dubbed a few HDV tapes through a HD Analog to HD-SDI, recorded onto a HDCAM SR deck. Audio was encoded into AC-3. Used the footage in some broadcast demos.

Curtis

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements