belizediversity

Wetpixel slow to load (Fixed!)

This may be a problem my end but I find the Wetpixel site to be amongst the slowest to load of all the sites regular look at. It took a little under a minute to load this "New Topic" page.

We live in a less technologically advanced part of the world to most of the posters here and use a direct satellite link which is not cutting edge but adequate. I can't understand why this site is slow. The only other sites which are nearly as slow are ones downloading pictures from weather satellites but they still beat Wetpixel.

Any help or input appreciated.

Martin

I would agree. I'm on high speed broadband, and it's still slow to load, and has been for some time. Is it the volume of information stored that slows it down so much?

Cheers,

Marli

I agree as well guys.

Looks like the server is the small state of Texas, Cedar Park . Well it is small compared to Western Australia....

Eric any ideas?

I have noticed this ever since the hack .. maybe it got put somewhere newer that is just slow .. there are also some other weird errors .. like Last Vist time .. never changes ... and View New posts .. doesn't work too well .. as this one has never showed up .. (I would imagine that those two are related)

I've had no probs... and I use a wireless connection over HSPDA many times. Use firefox... caches everyhing a little better than IE.

Like Dru, I don't have any problems here. Didn't notice any slow-down...

Matt, that's because you have the green turtle or is it the green fish that's Starhub? :D

I really do think it's the browser. I empty my cache at the end of the day. Still loads fine. Although I admit the advertising is 'adblocked', another wonderful tool in firefox.

Matt, that's because you have the green turtle or is it the green fish that's Starhub? :D

I really do think it's the browser. I empty my cache at the end of the day. Still loads fine. Although I admit the advertising is 'adblocked', another wonderful tool in firefox.

We're only on 30,000kbps with Starhub here... :D

But seriously, regardless of download speed ability, if there was a problem with the server of origin, download speed would still be slow...

Maybe Matt...but you go through the ol' Singapore censors everytime... so it's back to 15000kbps for you. That's really why Singapore internet isn't faster.

I'm sitting on a friend's P4, 3.8ghz and 2gb RAM and using a 100mbit/s connection at the moment with and wetpixel is by far the slowest one among the forums I'm visitiing.

It´s the same when I'm using my mom's 256kb/s DSL connection. Wetpixel is so slow that I sometimes stop using it. :D

Hey guys -

I've performed a forum security update. It seems that Wetpixel was the target of an XSS vulnerability that has now been patched - browsing speed should be much increased. :D

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Matt ... we love you ...

it's like the difference between a turtle and a dolphin

night and day

clean and dirty

broken and working

boring and fun

dead and alive

you get teh idea .. yes it's faster for me again !

I'm glad Matt was here to apply the update!

In general, the server seems fine for me in the States, but I'm hearing that some folks in Europe are experiencing unusually slow load times. Is it still very slow?

In any case, speed issues are on the radar, and I will certainly be addressing them as soon as I can...

Hi Eric

It's still slow my end as well.

It's not my connection as other sites all over the world are fine, just this forum.

I'm glad Matt was here to apply the update!

In general, the server seems fine for me in the States, but I'm hearing that some folks in Europe are experiencing unusually slow load times. Is it still very slow?

In any case, speed issues are on the radar, and I will certainly be addressing them as soon as I can...

very slow for me as well. it takes about 60 to 90 seconds to load a thread whether it contains images or not.

interestingling the first 2 or 3 threads i load in the morning are ok, but it's all downhill from there...

I am closer .. and do have a direct marine line connection to the US .. but it is one of the slower sites to load for me .. it seems to pause at loading the image sponsorships / advertisements. I don't know if they are pulling them from somewhere .. or if that is just a visual thing .. but thats what i see.

top banners ... pause .... side bar banners ... pause .... rest of page

Hey guys. I made some *significant* changes to the ad engine in the background, and the site is loading much, much faster.

There are still a couple of ads that I need updates on (the flash ones). These may cause the same old slow downs. But the vast majority of page loads should be fast now!

When you first start clicking around, each ad will have to load from the server, but once these are cached on your local system, everything should speed up.

Let me know what happens!

Wow Eric ... that is impressive ... like actually noticeably quicker.

I am interested tech wise ... what did ya do ? is there a simple english version ?

yep, much faster for me too! and that means something...

i want my name changed to 4.5 kbps now...

It is faster this end but I still have to wait sometimes 20-30 seconds for it to open a post.

For example, I just ckick on new posts for the day and it took over 30 secs to open, then once I clicked on a post it took around 15-20 secs to open.

How long do you have to wait Mike?

I have 125 kbps speed.

well, i just clicked on view new posts after reading your question and it took 25secs for me... and thats much quicker than previously

I thought it was slow for me, but reading that some people need over 20 seconds, thats not good. For me it takes around 10 seconds to load a page, no matter if it's been loaded before or not. It's like the images never get cached. But it's always been a bit slow, so ive gotten used to it.

I've got a 12mbit link at home, so im not hindered by a slow link. I see no problem with the connectivity between me and the wetpixel server.

Im doing this on a linux desktop with firefox 1.5.0.7. Whats interesting is that if I use IE6 on my windows desktop it's MUCH faster. A second load takes only 3-5 seconds. Firefox on windows is somewhere in between, speed wise. Finally, on my apple laptop firefox is again slow, but safari is noticably faster.

Disabling images doesnt seem to help either, so I dont think its a matter of having a lot of images. What it looks like is that the adserver software is slow. But thats just after a very brief glance at how the front page responds..

Cor

I made another change. It seems to be a lot faster now.

Let me know...

Eric

That made a real difference my end.

Good one..

Just to add.

I started using Firefox and wetpixel loads much faster with it than with IE.