Nemo

New travel case design

I own a manufacturing company that among other things produce dive gear for some of the bigger players in the industry. We have developed a technique to produce semi rigid bags that offer a great deal of protection to equipment without looking or weighing like a pelican case. I am considering starting development of a UW camera bag that will fit "Most" airlines current carry on restrictions.

Since many of you have been traveling with your cameras for some time and have tried various home brewed and commercially available land camera bags I am hoping for your input. Tell me what features you find mandatory in a carry on such as this, what would be nice to have, what gear you feel you MUST carry on verse what you are willing to check in cargo. Also how many of you travel with your camera in the housing to save space? Do you feel there is any risk or other benefit in doing this?

For those creative folks out there> No I dont think adding Helium bladders to the bag is a solution to making it any lighter. LOL

I carry on camera bodies, lenses and travel harddisks. Have you thought about making normal checked luggage bags with the same material?

Cor

I carry on everything except strobe arms, and possibly an extension ring or two if I have to make space. Come to think of it, some external sleeves to slip in strobe arms might be helpful. My preference is to carry on anything that I would have a problem if it were lost or stolen. Just last weekend a bag was temporarily lost on the way back from the Bahamas with the strobe arms in it. I believe with the Loweprowe backpack, and photog jacket I can carry everything including laptop and a second camera body(carry the second body on as my camera separately). First body is in the housing. I found that when I slid out the laptop after boarding I could even get the Lowepro in the overhead on a small Embraer jet. Otherwise would have to gate check it.

I would like to see:

slot for laptop

wheels and handle

enough space to hold: housing (w/camera), strobes, lenses, arms, etc.

fit in overhead of A319

tough ballistic nylon material that wont rip

light (under 10lbs)

My Tenba shoulder backpacks with wheels are great but have too much space taken up by the shoulder straps and wasitband (which I ususally rip out)..

Most overheads in planes have unusual slope on interior...if you could design something with this in mind it would be helpful. Most puddle jumpers allow you to check baggage planeside, ensuring it will be delivered but bag could be crushed...maybe a semi rigid material would be helpful..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

M.

Edited by Starbuck

The following is a link to the bag I carry on and no airline has every questioned it. It fits my housing, 2 Inon strobes, either the flat or 8" dome port but not both, camera, 2-3 lenses, laptop, all associated support gear. But it is HEAVY something in these dimensions but could be a back/pack or roller would be great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

I think your idea is a great one. I sold all of my Pelicans because they're too heavy, and practically scream "expensive camera gear inside!"

I carry on two things:

- Porter Case, which doubles as a hand truck (holds 200lbs) to haul my dive bag & big checked photo case, in which I carry my laptop, regs, a lens or two, and assorted other stuff. See http://www.portercase.com/index.html (click on the "See a Porter Case in Action" on the left for a great video demo.)

- UW Photo-tech soft-sided bag, which holds my housing (with camera body inside), lenses, Inon strobes, etc. See http://www.uwphoto.com/shop/customer/produ...t=18&page=1

In case an airline won't let me take both on board, I always carry a little nylon "day pack" that folds into itself to the size of a fist, and I can take the fragile/essential stuff out of the Porter Case and lock/gate check it. I also wear a photo vest, so can stuff tons of stuff in there if need be.

My checked bags are:

- an Eagle Creek canvas duffel bag (for dive gear)

- a big Lightware case for other camera gear. Note: I've "cleverly disguised" my Lightware case to look like a cheap construction equipment rep's case... ;-)

ACME%20Hose%20and%20Chain%20-%20shrunken.jpg

I assume that what you're talking about creating is something akin to the smaller Lightware cases? If you could do that and add lightweight wheels and handle, you'd have something that would really be attractive to many of us. IOW, I suggest that you seriously look at Lightware's design (rigid panels inside a nylon shell with foam cushioning), and simply try to create something more geared towards dive travelers!

Edited by bmyates

I carry on camera bodies, lenses and travel harddisks. Have you thought about making normal checked luggage bags with the same material?

Cor

Thanks for the suggestion. We can (and might) do it but the current offerings for checking bags seem to satisfy the need.

Thanks everyone, all good food for thought, and keep your thoughts coming.

Our plan is to build a bag planned for carry on and if forced into checking it, would still offer an acceptable level of protection.

Sponsors

Advertisements