rai

Tokina 10-17 FE test fotos I

speaking of cropped canon sensors, does any one know if the the tokina will fit the 1,3 crop of the 1dmkII?

this lens "arguably" replaces the nikon 10.5mm, 14mm, 16mm and sigma 15mm.

this lens is just wow.

speaking of cropped canon sensors, does any one know if the the tokina will fit the 1,3 crop of the 1dmkII?

Actually I think it just might work, you'd just get ugly vignetting at 10mm and end up with the "proper" diagonal fisheye view somewhere around 12mm. Considerably wider than the 15mm FE...

Here's the FOV on a 5D, for example...

//LN

Just returned from a quick Florida jaunt, and this lens is now my new "main" wide angle lens.

Gets less "fishy" as you zoom to 17mm......

Buy one if you have a cropped sensor dSLR. Especially if you shoot in limited visibility waters. Manatee shot (we got skunked) was shot in less than 5' visibility!

dhaas

post-244-1175563212_thumb.jpg post-244-1175563268_thumb.jpg post-244-1175563346_thumb.jpg post-244-1175563413_thumb.jpg

A couple more Tokina 10-17mm shots........

dhaas

post-244-1175563596_thumb.jpg post-244-1175563660_thumb.jpg post-244-1175563758_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'll have to get one then! dam! thanks Dave. :)

$477 at Tri-State (B&H were out of stock)

Just returned from a quick Florida jaunt, and this lens is now my new "main" wide angle lens.

Gets less "fishy" as you zoom to 17mm......

Buy one if you have a cropped sensor dSLR. Especailly if you shoot in limited visibility waters, too. Manatee shot (we got skunked) was shot in less than 5' visibility!

dhaas

A couple more Tokina 10-17mm shots........

dhaas

Thanks David, ahhh you are in my stomping grounds!!! B)

Yup, too darn *hot* for manatee, but when it is hot out even seeing a few or one in murky waters is even good. They are all out feeding in/around/or on-way-to the Gulf right now I do reckon......

I'm getting this lens for next season.. :)

PS, nice turtles.

Best & Thanks for posting, Carol

Edited by seagrant

Nice shots David. The first picture looks like a still shot from that movie Life Aquatic!

I have been experimenting with a Tamron 1.4xTC attached to the Tokina 10-17 on land and I am getting great results on CFWA. The combination effectively gives me a new lens, 14-24mm!!!

Edited by ChrisJ

Have you tried any other TC ( Nikon or Kenko ) with this lense ???

This may have been posted but anyone know what zoom gear for the Aquatica housing to use? Would love to know as I just picked one up from Tri-State and sold my 12-24.

Edited by NWDiver

Have you tried any other TC ( Nikon or Kenko ) with this lense ???

I think I posted this in another related thread. I've tried the Kenko 1.4x TC on the Tokina FE with a Canon 400D. AF seems OK. Image looks fine through all focal lengths. Would like to try it u/w but will have to devise a long focus ring. Less luck with the 2.0x Kenko TC. Need to manual focus as AF won't lock (or rarely).

Edited by pakman

This may have been posted but anyone know what zoom gear for the Aquatica housing to use? Would love to know as I just picked one up from Tri-State and sold my 12-24.

Don't know if this is much help as I have a canon but I use my 10-22 zoom gear (18706) and just reverse it.

Seems to work fine so far

Regards Mick

why do the lens specs say close focus is 1 inch in Macro mode for the Tokina? Is there a button on lens to change from one mode to another?

does anybody want a good deal on my Sigma 10- 20 ?! :))

M.

Mr Haas...

are you diving with aliens?!?!?

Mike,

No aliens, just a "Dive into History Day" at world famous Weeki Wachee springs in Florida. This was a super popular spot in the 1950 - 1970s until Disney World attracted Florida vacationers. They have their famous "Mermaid" underwater shows which were pioneered by Newt Perry, a former Navy diver I believe.....

Some real old classic underwater films were partially shot here, too. Creature from the Black Lagoon (and Ricou Browning, who played the creature in the underwater scenes) still lives in this area of northern Florida. I hoped to meet him but he wasn't there :)

The Cousteau suited diver is Ryan Spence (www.flashbackscuba.com) who is documenting and collecting Cousteau memorabilia. He even has a suit worn by Jacques Cousteau!! The helmet divers were friends trying a historial dive guy who owns several types of diving helmets. All total a very cool photo op for me.

Hope you enjoyed the pics! Will share a few more soon....

dhaas

post-244-1175692314_thumb.jpg post-244-1175692354_thumb.jpg post-244-1175692414_thumb.jpg

Well I received my Tokina 10-17 today ( $478.99 including shipping at Tri-State). I felt kind of guilty because it's my first non-Nikon lens except for my Kenko 1.4 TC.

So I had to quickly do some comparison tests with the 10.5 and 16mm Nikon lenses. I quickly printed some test charts and pasted them together. Not too sophisticated lighting wise, and don't pay any attention to the resolution numbers, but bottom line is that I cannot see any (significant) difference. I almost wanted the Nikons to be better, but I cannot see it. I'll do some more tests this weekend. If the 10-17 pans out underwater for me, the 10.5 and 16 may be headed to eBay.

Observe for yourself, anybody see anything that I don't?

http://homepage.mac.com/jeffinorlando/Toki...ikon/index.html

Edited by loftus

Well, my Tokina 10-17 finally turned up today, just as I am packing foir a trip tomorrow. The S&S 18-35 zoom ring went on like a dream once I took off the rubber ring from the lens and added the S&S grippy stick-on surface that came with the zoom ring. Problem Is I couldn't get a SX extension ring today so do I take the Tokina with me? Will it focus in the 8" acrylic or 7" optical glass port? It does look a bit protruding.

Anyone tried it without an extension ring? My 40mm is obviously too long.

I have been using it with a 6" dome with great results.

Well I had a chance to dive with the Tokina again this long Easter weekend in Cabilao Island, Philippines. Goofing around during one of our safety stops, I couldn't resist copying Peter and Gary's signature self-portraits with the Tokina FE... :D Even got Nemo to cooperate... :guiness:

IMG_8755.jpg

Edited by pakman

I got my Tokina lens already! To come back to the issue about using the S&S EFS 60 zoom ring with this lens, I tried several alternatives but although they looked snug when out of the housing, when inside the housing and in a dome port facing down position, the ring would end up falling after playing with the zoom several times.

What I noticed is that the oring inside the ring is in the front while the zoom of the tokina is in the back of the lens. This means the oring is not grabbing in the lens. Until so far the solution I got was the following:

- 1 elastic band (the ones you use for clothes) in the zoom ring.

- 2 of these velcro bands, cut small and thin so that it does not scratch when you put it back in the EF-S 60

410583046_d7125b34a8.jpg

410583306_210336b547.jpg

If you guys have new ideas, please let me know

Nuno

Thought I'd dig this up again for anyone who already has a Canon 10-22mm focus ring for the S&S housings and is considering the Tokina FE.

I was sitting here tonight prepping my camera for a pool session tomorrow with some new club divers. For some reason, I thought initially that the Canon 10-22 zoom ring didn't work on the Tokina FE lens but I thought I'd give it a try again. Actually it does with a little mod and it seems to be a more secure fit than the 60mm focus ring. Similiar to the 60mm ring, the Tokina is just a little too thin so you place a little foam tape over the Tokina lens focus ring itself (I put 4 small pieces around the Tokina focus ring), then put the plastic ring that comes with the 10-22 zoom ring over the foam. Then slide the 10-22 metal zoom ring over it. It's a little easier to put on than the 60mm focus ring (less worry of the foam tape sliding around). You just have to be careful not to switch the lens AF switch to manual.

Anyways, thought you'd might want to know.

Edited by pakman

this thread MADE me sell a perfectly good sigma 15mm and nikon 12-24 lens, and made me NEED a 10-17.

thanks guys, thanks alot.

Sponsors

Advertisements