Sign in to follow this  
CamDiver

New Equipment and Price Hikes

OK so here I sit having been filming with the Gates Z1 housing with the SWP44 for around 6 weeks (still a sweet little performer too). The glass is amazing but in reality just too wide for the dailies, not to mention damn heavy. So I was looking through the B&H site for some new accesories for the camera. I opted to go for the Century Optics .7x WA plus a couple of Centuy Optics Achromatic Diopters (a +2 and a +3.5) in preparation for some macro filming. A hundred or so HDV tapes rounded out the order and as I was waiting for the shipping fees I was informed (indirectly by my buyer in the U.S) that B&H had hiked the price of the WA by $100!! I wrote to them to ask them about it and the response was that price fluctuates due to demand.

So does that mean that they advertise certain items at an attractive price but when interest is shown they hike the price? If so this is not really a kosher way of doing business.

My buyer told me that he had heard of them doing that but had never experienced it first hand. Well I guess there's a first time for everything. Just wanted to share this to make people aware that if it happens to them it will not have been the first time this has happened.

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S The work continues......here's some recent stills.

That is a superb montage Mark! Very impressive work.

Sorry to hear about the practice - it sounds most unfriendly.

Mark what wonderfull grabs there. I'm so jealous of your blue water. :D

"that price fluctuates due to demand"

Well if that's their attitude, I would tell them to stick it.

Try somewhere else.

Trying to make an extra 100 bucks like that, in the end they loose more as if I were the customer, not only would I cancel my sale, but would never come back again.

That's quite unusual for B&H. Write directly to Henry Posner and ask what went on, particularly if you were buying from the website not the printed catalog. I have bought far too much stuff from them with nothing like this ever happening. Current price on the lens is $849 online but the Schneider site sells it directly for $795 which is quite suspicious, since I have never seen B&H higher than the direct dealer.

Bill

Well the proof is in the pudding. Here are the prices as shown on November 1st when an initial order was made. That order was then readjusted on the 3rd due to the need for additional materials. You can clearly see the difference in prices shown. When asked about this my buyer was told that prices fluctuate due to the supply and demand of certain items. Can't for the life of me see why there would have been a rush on Century Optice WA converters at that exact same time as my order.

Go figure.

Cheers,

Mark.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements