Mattkk

Endoscopes???

Hi All - Does anyone know anything about this sort of set up??? A great example is one of Doubilet's, from Lembeh I think, of a pygmy with a diver in the background from the Nov '05 edition of Nat Geo - http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/051...6/gallery6.html. Has anyone ever tried? Done any research?? I've been in touch with some companies that make probe lenses for HD filming but the price is INCREDIBLE!!!

Matt

www.scubazoo.com

Olympus is well established in this market however it appears that they purchased the fisheye. I imagine it would have to be a wet conversion lens as I can't imagine its housed inside the box. Just my thoughts.

I think that Oxford Scientific Films did some work using Relay lenses - that is they used a lens system to throw one image (of a scene) into the subject field so that the two could be seen together - this would be possible underwater but very tricky physically and to light - upside is that experimenting should be cheap if you want to try.

I did see the endoscope when I was in Indonesia and David was there. He said he got it made in Germany and, yes, it was expensive. Very cool stuff.

Todd

damn Matt.. glad you gave a link...

the word endoscope just too close to enema, didn't want to click on this thread.......

like the new website by the way...

It has an awesome effect - very cool and thanks for sharing. I find DD's innovation with kit and techniques most incredible. Especially after so many years at the top - he keeps innovating.

Alex

p.s. I would rather see the effect of the lens in a picture that didn't show someone handling the pygmies and seafan. But I am sure they weren't harmed. :-)

[quote

p.s. I would rather see the effect of the lens in a picture that didn't show someone handling the pygmies and seafan. But I am sure they weren't harmed. :-)

Hi Alex - Yep, you're right about that. Its the only one I could track down though... Be fantastic to try and get some kit to do that - on my wish list for Christmas!

Matt

Hmm .. my dad has a few of these laying around at home .. but i don't think they are the sort you can take underwater. I could be wrong, but i don't think the medical ones will work for anyone so i can't become a black market dealer.

Hmm .. my dad has a few of these laying around at home .. but i don't think they are the sort you can take underwater. I could be wrong, but i don't think the medical ones will work for anyone so i can't become a black market dealer.

Giles what are you doing ;) Double post in a post.

Cool effect though, how much would one cost.

Ha .. I chatted to Matt about that .. if you post twice in what ? 10 minutes in the same thread without anyone posting inbetween you then the two posts just merge .. I had a server time out when posting so went back and clicked again .. i guess it posted twice and merged them .. anyways .. as for how much they cost.

You'd probably only want a short metal solid one .. no need for the flixble ones ? But the hard part would be the recording .. I have only seen video ones in the past .. and the medical ones go to a live screen .. but anywho

about $3000 for the scope .. and i'll bet the camera system to work with it costs $5000 at least .. then you have to house the camera system ... what you reckon .. $15000 total ?

what you reckon .. $15000 total ?

Typical operating budget of the common underwater photographer ! :(

And Giles we suspected you ad double vision, but studer on top of that... ;)

From what I recall David saying was that the tough part is the lighting. I did not get to see it in actions just on land.

This is the baby here. Will fit a Nikon lens mount and the company mentioned it has been used with D1Xs before. Not EXTREMELY expensive lol!! Unfortunately only the first 11" are waterproof so I'll have to work on getting a port designed as well as a bracket to attach a ring flash or a couple of strobes on the end of the port...

Matt

Isn't it similar to what Alex described in some other thread (i.e. fish eye with TC). It does not seem to give such a strong effect but at least is affordable.

I thought using FE with TC was crazy but after Alex's post I tried it (land only) and it works!

Fish Eye with TC - test shots

Sometimes you need to sacrifice.

I was actually worried not to scare this little guy away ;)

Isn't it similar to what Alex described in some other thread (i.e. fish eye with TC). It does not seem to give such a strong effect but at least is affordable.

Which thread are you talking about? I can't seem to track it down...

Nice shots btw - exactly the sort of effect I would like to achieve.

Matt

Hi Matt,

To my knowledge he never really elaborated on this statement in the thread below:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14992

If you manage to figure out some more ideas on the matter - it would be awesome if you could share them.

Edited by anthp

Have you considered where that endoscope has been?

I got an 11,000$ Zeiss biomicroscope at work. Write a check and you could try to take is UW.

Anthony - Thanks for that... Doing a trip in a weeks time shooting a tc with 16mm. Will let you know...

Dave - I don't mind where its been as long as it works... Although 11k is a bit beyond my budget unfortunately, oh well...

BTW, I got an email from a friend who was diving with David Doubilet whilst using this rig - it was based on a medical endoscope that was engineered to fit on an SLR.

Matt

Sponsors

Advertisements