echeng

Single dive contact sheet

I often get asked how many shots I take during a single dive. Instead of fumbling around with words, I decided to thumbnail and present every image I captured during a dive last week at a site called Horshu II near Rabaul, Papua New Guinea. On this particular dive, I snapped off 84 frames while using a Tokina 17mm lens on my Seacam-housed Canon 1Ds Mk II.

echeng_horshu_ii_dive.jpg

All thumbnails are extracted JPG thumbnails from RAW files (not converted -- they're the thumbnails that get embedded along with the RAW data), and have not been manipulated in any way.

That's very informative Eric, thanks for sharing! I have to go out more on those dive operations where they just let you stay in one place and click away! Most places where I dive there will be somebody pushing me to move... ;) Also, where do you find such cooperative models?

Interesting concept, especially with the added comments... Which software did you use to create the contact sheet?

aha... i like it when people listen to the words bracket bracket bracket...

Very interesting Eric - thanks for sharing.

84 clicks. 17 pictures. Not bad. For a real sense of how click happy you are, how long were you down?

It was probably a 60-65 minute dive (seemed to be the average for the trip). I used photoshop to make a contact sheet, pasted larger thumbs where appropriate, and added 80% opaque black rects and white text on top.

Addendum: I used breezebrowser's "extract thumbnails" feature to yank the jpg thumb from the raw files.

Guys -- if any of you are interested in doing this as well, whip one up (640 pixels wide max) and I'll post it on the front page! ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements