Sign in to follow this  
erol

Strobes

Can anyone give me pointer in regards to strobes. I am looking for unit to connect to my canon 30d prefferably using ETTL. I need some recommendation for a two strobe system that will provide a do everything package ie wide angle and macro, with as few as compromises as possible. I am assuming that the older generation strobe won t work...I could however use them as slaves.

Also is there any resource that reveiews strobes assessing their angle, power. etc.

Is there any strobe that could be considered an industry benchmark

Thanks for you time. Erol

eTTL/iTTL or plain old school film TTL: all can be fooled resulting in bad exposure. (especially true with wideangle) Don't let technology govern your images completely. Learn how to use your strobes with manual settings, diffusers, and varying strobe to subject distance. (the hows and whys are important even when shooting TTL)

macro strobes and wide angle strobes are two different beasts

-macro strobe = small package, ment to work close to your macro port, tight beam angle (60-70 degrees), relatively low power

-wide angle strobe = medium to large package, ment to be away from your dome port, wide beam angle (100 degrees plus), higher power over entire beam angle

What to look for in a strobe that does both macro and wide angle:

-manual power settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full) _or_ the ability to use a manual controller with 8 to 10 power levels

-good beam angle (100 degrees)

-medium size (so you can place the strobes close to your macro port)

-decent power across the entire beam angle

Maybe, look at Sea&Sea ys-120, Ikelite DS-125, or Inon

If you're going to get a pair of strobes, get two of the same strobe.

Digital cameras will trigger older (pre-digital) strobes. You just have to use manual strobe settings. (older strobes don't support the pre-flash required by iTTL/eTTL)

Take Care,

ChrisS

Can anyone give me pointer in regards to strobes. I am looking for unit to connect to my canon 30d prefferably using ETTL. I need some recommendation for a two strobe system that will provide a do everything package ie wide angle and macro, with as few as compromises as possible. I am assuming that the older generation strobe won t work...I could however use them as slaves.

Also is there any resource that reveiews strobes assessing their angle, power. etc.

Is there any strobe that could be considered an industry benchmark

Thanks for you time. Erol

Thanks for the info guys that gives me something to think about.

eTTL/iTTL or plain old school film TTL: all can be fooled resulting in bad exposure. (especially true with wideangle) Don't let technology govern your images completely. Learn how to use your strobes with manual settings, diffusers, and varying strobe to subject distance. (the hows and whys are important even when shooting TTL)

macro strobes and wide angle strobes are two different beasts

-macro strobe = small package, ment to work close to your macro port, tight beam angle (60-70 degrees), relatively low power

-wide angle strobe = medium to large package, ment to be away from your dome port, wide beam angle (100 degrees plus), higher power over entire beam angle

What to look for in a strobe that does both macro and wide angle:

-manual power settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full) _or_ the ability to use a manual controller with 8 to 10 power levels

-good beam angle (100 degrees)

-medium size (so you can place the strobes close to your macro port)

-decent power across the entire beam angle

Maybe, look at Sea&Sea ys-120, Ikelite DS-125, or Inon

If you're going to get a pair of strobes, get two of the same strobe.

Digital cameras will trigger older (pre-digital) strobes. You just have to use manual strobe settings. (older strobes don't support the pre-flash required by iTTL/eTTL)

Take Care,

ChrisS

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements