MikeVeitch

Question for Canon users about WB

Have a guest here (Jim from WP) with a Canon 30D.

we are trying to set manual WB for some Magic Filter shots. Seems like a huge involved set up to do it unless we are missing a short cut. The manual says you need to take a picture of something white, then go to that shot in the review screen and hit set in the menu.

Thats a 4 step processs!!!!!! what a freakin pain....

Isn't there a shorter way like the two step Nikon way? hold down the WB button until it starts blinking and then take a picture of the ojbect and you are done.

If not then we now have the all time answer that yes, Nikon is better than Canon.... ;):(:D

Of course Nikon is better than Canon Mike - geez - whatever had you questioning that. ;):(:D

Seriously though, nothing intelligent to contribute from me. Look forward to answers.

Hi Mike,

I've been using the procedure you just indicated and to my knowledge there is no shortcut. If you are not an absolute perfectionist you should be able to take grey card shots at let's say 3, 6, 9, and 12m as images 1 to 4 on your memory card. When you want to do a manual WB for 7m you just pick the 6m grey card shot and use it for WB. At least that way you don't have to keep taking WB shots and carry that card around. If you make those images protected you can keep using them on multiple dives. I don't know how big an impact the time of day or other variables have on the WB but this should get you in the right ball-park. If you are a perfectionist you have to suffer the pain of the 4-step Canon WB dance.

In principle it may be possible to automatically make a decent estimate of the color correction that is needed, based on known depth and distance to the subject (would need some initial calibration but could then be used for all shots under similar conditions). However, as a Canon fan, I sadly have to add another strike against Canon, they don't record the focus distance in the RAW or JPEG headers, unlike several other brands (I believe including Nikon). This is mostly of interest for scientific use so I've posted the details in that forum as Canon doesn't go the distance.

Bart

Barts right

it's not that much of a hastle ... on my D60 it's a longer process .. although I have never tried doing it from the review screen .. i have to go into the menu.

But well done Mike .. you found the one thing that slows a Canon down over a nikon .. maybe by the time a canon guy has done the steps to white balance a nikon user may have focused.

It's actually the one thing that Cathy Church brings up to me everytime she see's me with my canon .. asks me if it can be done quicker .. same answer everytime .. i'm not in a hurry. And just like Bart says .. the thinking is you can have preshot images at the start of your card for easy access WB .. funny thing is .. Canon compacts (when I had one) did it in a much better way.

thanks for the replies guys...

ya, that is why i was so surprised its a run around cuz i have two canon compacts that are one touch with the set button, i figured the slr would be the same.... strange

I always do my white balancing at home infront of the computer... Why bother with it underwater? I always carry around a white slate when I do my filter photography, and if I feel that I nailed tyhe frame a just take another shot of the slate at the samne depth.

I always do my white balancing at home infront of the computer... Why bother with it underwater? I always carry around a white slate when I do my filter photography, and if I feel that I nailed tyhe frame a just take another shot of the slate at the samne depth.

Simple, i am trying to teach him the proper use of filter photography underwater not post processing. A lot of people prefer to get in right in camera, not on the computer.

Depends on how you see it.

The picture you get out of a digital camera is never ready for publishing. There is always something you need to do, sometimes as little as correcting contast, levels and sharpening but on other occations you need to do a litte more to get the picture you have in front of you to look as you saw it underwater...

If you are shooting raw you still ned to process the picture so why not change the whitebalance here aswell.

The only reason IMHO to set the whitebalance with a DSLR underwater is to be able to see the picture with correct colours on the lcd while you are still in the water.

I agree with Vannar on the need to see the correct colours underwater when shooting with filters. Filter photography is a new technique in underwater photography and people do not automatcially recognise a good opportunity as easily as they do for a flash lit wide angle. I think it is important to WB underwater (at least approximately) so that you can see if a particular subject is worth working or if it best to move on.

I'd go on to say that small changes in the angle of illumintaion make big differences to the colours of the final images in filter photography. Anyone who has seen on of my talks about filter photography will have seen examples of this (I don't have the images online). It is important to be able see this underwater while shooting - to get the best filter shots.

Finally it is worth white balancing to be sure of exposures and compositions. To be sure you are not clipping any of the channels. And if there is a particularly colourful and eye catching subject - it is important to see how the final image colours will look - to be sure that this eye catching element is correctly positionned in the frame.

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements