jclin10

Sea & Sea DX-8000G Strobe recommendations

I'm just getting into digital UW photography and am seriously considering the Sea & Sea DX-8000G as my first camera (don't want to go the consumer point and shoot route nor am I ready for a dSLR with housing - just too bulky). Any recommendations on an appropriate strobe to go with it? It would need to be something I could "grow into" - i.e. something I could continue to use if ever I jumped up to a dSLR and something with both manual controls and good auto functions as I start learning.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

hi

i would consider a strobe from the inon range . im using a d180 which is a few years old now has done about 300 dives and been trouble free.

do make shure whatever strobe you buy has a inbuilt modeling light, this is very helpfull for focus in low light .

regards

matt

I have the Sea & Sea 90 Auto with this setup. Honestly though, I would not buy the DX8000 again. (I use DSLR now) The DX8000 is basically a Ricoh point-and shoot in a housing. I think you can do better with some of the other point-and-shoot cameras with appropriate housing. Many people really like the Fuji for low noise etc. I would find the best point-and shoot you can considering all the features, then gewt an appropriate housing, or go DSLR.

I have the Sea & Sea 90 Auto with this setup. Honestly though, I would not buy the DX8000 again. (I use DSLR now) The DX8000 is basically a Ricoh point-and shoot in a housing. I think you can do better with some of the other point-and-shoot cameras with appropriate housing. Many people really like the Fuji for low noise etc. I would find the best point-and shoot you can considering all the features, then gewt an appropriate housing, or go DSLR.

I would agree with the above comments in principle. I decided to go digital last year and choose the 8000G.

It produced a much better and versatile picture than my previous MM11EX, and over the last year has

re-0pened my interest and determination to produce better pictures.

After a year with the 8000G I would say that by adding a wide angle lens, the pics are great but in macro mode I am not so impressed- the MM11 at f22 produces much better images.

I use the Sea & Sea 90 auto with my 8000G, not bad but i'm thinking of adding a second strobe this year,

and looking into a DSLR and housing that will also work with the arms and stobes I already have.

I did write a comprehensive article on getting started with the DX8000G. I think it was added to this site. If not, e mail me at stephen_g_parry@hotmail.com and i'll send you a copy by return.

Edited by Steve Parry

I also have the DX8000g and I recently added the Sea and Sea YS-110 to it. The strobe is fantastic, I really like the built-in aiming light feature. For me the camera has enough features to keep me coming back for more. I'm still learning and I think that is what keeps us all firing away.

Good luck

Sponsors

Advertisements