codyjp

Newbie Logic

I am a WP lurker and I am very interested in starting with underwater videography and i have a few questions for the brilliant minds here. I am an avid topside SLR shooter but don’t have any interest in taking that underwater. Video is far better!

First, HD or SD? HD would be great to start out with but at the same point it seems that I could probably buy a nice used 3 CCD setup such as a TRV 900 as opposed to something new like a Canon HV10 (my ~budget~). Also, for me HD isn't necessary for me i don't think. I would love the better resolution but truthfully, i still use bunny ear antennas for my TV so HD isn't all that important. at the same point if i could invest now in something i wont need to replace for years that would be beneficial as i don't want to spend lots of money on something now and want to upgrade in a couple years.

Another case for going with a standard def camera is the large influx of people dumping used cameras to move up to HD.

so, is this logical? Should I bite the bullet and start out with HD? Should you sell me your old setup? Am I on the right track? Hopefully this isn't to long of a post and thanks in advance for your help!

Hi codyjp,

It all depends on what you wnat to do with your video footage. If its just a "sit at home with friends and watch some dive footage you shot on your annual vacation" scenario and nothing else then SD should suit you down to the ground. You mentioned correctly that a lot of people are going HDV which means that you should be able to eBay some suitable gear.

I'd suggest something small like the TRV 900 / 950. If you want reliability the main manufacturers of housings all have links directly from this site. Then again you may also find a suitable housing second hand in the classified section of Wetpixel, take a look there initially for any potential gear.

Be warned though, underwater video can become more than a habit. Just looking through the postings here in the forums and you'll find a wealth of experience and knowledge so any quieries can be cleared relatively easily.

All the best with your search.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, thanks for your reply. I can see that this can easily be more than a hobby! For the near term I can't see myself doing much more than video for my own sharing pleasures. At this point i couldn't afford a HD cam that would allow for any more than that.

I think you are right with the sony 900/950 line. they seem to be the standard for what i need now i just need to talk Ron R. out of his... :guiness:. I think i will look for somebody who already has a complete setup already to in the water as opposed to piece it together on my own.

Thanks for you help!

-C

Mark, thanks for your reply. I can see that this can easily be more than a hobby! For the near term I can't see myself doing much more than video for my own sharing pleasures. At this point i couldn't afford a HD cam that would allow for any more than that.

I think you are right with the sony 900/950 line. they seem to be the standard for what i need now i just need to talk Ron R. out of his... :guiness:. I think i will look for somebody who already has a complete setup already to in the water as opposed to piece it together on my own.

Thanks for you help!

-C

Hi Cody,

I just come across your forum with interest. I am one of those guys who are making the splash into the HDV market and I do have a sweet system that I am trying to get rid off. I brought the system for a bargin price and I am willing to part with it for the same. Besides buying a HDV system this would be the next best system money can buy If you are interested here are the details below...

I would be happy to let it all go for a great price to low to put on here. Please email me if you are curious or have any questions or are interessted to terence.w.moore@gmail.com

Mark, you have sweet system, which is what I am chasing now how are you finding it?

Regards,

Terry

Edited by divedeepbaby

Sponsors

Advertisements