Sign in to follow this  
red3

Wet diopter

If I mounted a normal screw-on type diopter to the outside of my macro port would it still work? I have the ability to make a ring assembly to hold a diopter to my port but I dont know if I'd be wasting my time. I have an aquatica housing and thought that maybe using a set of, say, 77mm diopters would be fun to play with if I could mount them in a "wet" fasion. Is there something special about the lenses that backscatter and woodys uses for thier wet diopters that lets them work on the outside of the port? (other than the way it is mounted)

i had a guest here once who did just that. a foam ring that fit on his aquatica flat port, he then switched out several different strength diopters when underwater and put them in a soft pouch....

seemed to do a pretty good job

The only real problems you'd get using air diopters underwater is the loss of magnification and the onset of abberations in water. Most of the wet diopters I believe are at least selected if not designed to work well underwater. You can always try out your candidate lenses in the tub, since you're talking about short focal distances here.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Martyn

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements