Marcelo Krause

Whales at Silver Banks

Hi,

I am considering doing a live-aboard at the Silver Banks in February. Have anyone been there? How are the photo opportunities?

I understand that this is not a scuba trip, and the focus of entire cruise are the whales. But don’t you might get bored of the whales after 2 or 3 days? I ask that because my wife is considering going with me, and she is wondering if spending long hours on a rubber boat during a week is something she considers a “vacationâ€.

Or the experience of diving with the giant mammals worth every effort?

I appreciate your inputs.

Best regards,

Marcelo Krause

marcelo@underwater.com.br

bump, I have the same question.

BTW the visibility doesn't look good at Silver Bank?

get bored of whales after 2 or 3 days?!?!?!?!

i would kill to have that sort of boredom...

I was a silver bank for 3 weeks in early 2002 on a research trip. Agree the vis isn't always that great (not as good as can be in tonga). But in my experience the whale action was hot. Don't expect it to be like a theme park though, you will have to work at it to get the best experience.

Can't help you with your question about yours or your partner's boredom levels.

I'm with Mike, for me a bad day with whales is better than a good day with almost anything else.

Visibility normally is around 70 ft. but sometimes you can have around 100 ft , It depends on the area that you have the encounters.

Don't forget a set up for topside pictures (you will see a lot of action at the surface ) . Also be prepared for boat movement during the trip from the port to Silver Banks , once there is calm because of the barrier reef .

A good encounter with the whales will be probably the most exciting experience of your u/w career.

I live at DR, so if you want to have more info. let me know.

Good luck

i believe its only liveaboards Aggressor, Peter Hughes, and Bottom Time (is that the name of it?) have the rights to go there

Can anyone recommend some good operators for Silver Banks? Thanks.

T&C Aggressor is by far the best boat and best capt. ( Piers ) .

Tom Conlin is the guide with more experience and have the best dinghies ( very important there ). Peter Hughes operation use to be handled by Tom Conlin but last season he used the Nekton .

Bottom Time was damage at the end of the last season so don't know if they will go this year .

If i have to choose , i will go with Aggressor .

Sponsors

Advertisements