UWphotoNewbie

Possible Nikon 6T Diopter Alternative

Since Nikon discontinued their double element diopters I have been bidding on the few still available Nikon 6Ts on e-bay. The 6t is particularly desirable since it has a strong +2.9 diopter in the 62mm size to fit the new 105mm VR. The last one went for $160 much too much to pay for a $40 item.

I just noticed another alternative: the Olympus MCON35. Check this out:

http://davidweikel.com/E10_samples/mcon35/mcon1.shtml

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/e10/mcon-35.html

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=MCON+3...le&ct=title

It seems to be a +2.85 2 element diopter with a 62mm thread. Only downside is that the outer thread is 72mm so you can't stack a 5T, but you could with a Canon 500D +2 diopter.

Even the Nikon 4Ts are gone from B&H now but for those that can find them the 4T (52mm +2.9 diopter) with a 62-52mm step down ring is another option. I know this works as I have tried it with no vignetting.

Amazon has the 4T in stock for $24.99 BTW

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NO-4T-4T-Close...TF8&s=photo

Edited by UWphotoNewbie

I have recently been using the 500D and the 105mm VR to shoot pygmies and I was very happy with the magnification. It is not super macro, but good enough for full frame shots.

I have also using the 500D stacked with the 5T, and despite the 5T being on the lens first I have been very happy with the optical performance.

The main thing to consider is that you require a significantly longer port! The 500D is a thick dioptre.

Alex

i was going to try the 500 d diopter with a nexus wet diopter has anyone tryed this combo?

I am using a MCON-35. Nice diopter and really fills the frame with a 105mm VR. Gave up on looking for the 6T. The MCON-35 is also discontinued but I managed to get on in Tokyo during a trip up. For those looking for a 2 element diopter, I suggest they better pick it up quickly. Every maker seems to be discontinuing their product.

Wow, I guess I was pretty lucky. I went to my local photo shop. They pulled one out of a bin. It was used with no outer box, so he said $35? I took it.

Check here for 6T and 5T close-up lenses... On the webpage they claim to have them available. It's the place where i got them both lately

cheers, Udo

I have recently been using the 500D and the 105mm VR to shoot pygmies and I was very happy with the magnification. It is not super macro, but good enough for full frame shots.

I have also using the 500D stacked with the 5T, and despite the 5T being on the lens first I have been very happy with the optical performance.

The main thing to consider is that you require a significantly longer port! The 500D is a thick dioptre.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Have you ever used the Subal wet diopters? I am really interested in how good they perform. I have used the Seacam diopters and think they are great.

The advantage of course is that you can remove them under water.

Andre

...snip...

Alex

I found it very hard to find information on the actual thickness of the 500D, I couldn't even find it on the canon site. I just got my 72mm 500D yesterday so if anyone has been looking for this information, this is what the spec-sheet says (diameter in mm/weight in grams)

filterDia 250D --- 500D --- 500

52mm 10.2/55 9.8/40 5.7/16

58mm 12.0/80 10.5/60 6.8/24

72mm ---------- 12.7/120 7.3/43

77mm ---------- 13.5/145 8.3/44

(sorry for the poor layout, if anyone can tell me how to type tabs or multiple spaces into a message then let me know and I can edit this. I looked at the very fancy BB code but something as simple as the <PRE> tag from html does not seem to be supported)

For the 52/58mm diameter filter diopters, the outer diameter is 2mm larger than the filter diameter. For the 72/77mm diopters the outer diameter is 3mm wider.

Bart

Edited by Glasseye Snapper

I cam across the following in a Canon EOS publication, which might be useful to note down:

Canon Close-up lenses

500 = 2 dioptres, 450 = 2.2 dioptres, 250 = 4 dioptres, 240 = 4.2 dioptres

The D designation indicates a two element construction (thicker/heavier)

thes are/were available in 52mm/58mm/72mm/77mm filter mounts

I have a 500D which is very good with only marginally soft corners at times (above water that is!) which is what I would expect with a close-up lens.

As near as I can tell the 500D replaced the 450D and the 250D replaced the 240D.

Also:

the 250D/240D is only available in 52 and 58mm

The 500D/450D is available in 52, 58, 72 and 77mm. So for most people looking to upgrade their 3/4T diopters for use with the new 105 AFS VR the 500D with a 72-62mm or 77-62mm step up ring is the more relavent diopter.

The stronger 250D should work with a step down ring as I have not seen any vigenetting on digital with the 52mm 4T on the new lens. Udo told me that there may be excessive CA with this combo but I didn't think to look hard for that nor did I notice any.

Amazon has the 4T in stock for $24.99 BTW

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NO-4T-4T-Close...TF8&s=photo

Edited by UWphotoNewbie

Another alternative MIGHT be Zeiss Proxars - close-up lenses built for Hasselblad. These now sell quite cheaply but would need adapter rings (from someone like SRB in England). Optical quality is of course top notch!

I cam across the following in a Canon EOS publication, which might be useful to note down:

Canon Close-up lenses

500 = 2 dioptres, 450 = 2.2 dioptres, 250 = 4 dioptres, 240 = 4.2 dioptres

The D designation indicates a two element construction (thicker/heavier)

I have a 500D which is very good with only marginally soft corners at times (above water that is!) which is what I would expect with a close-up lens.

There's no need to take notes. The naming convention is very sensible. The product number is the focus range in centimeters: 500D = 1/2 meter = +2 , 250D = 1/4 meter = +4 ....

Sponsors

Advertisements