Sign in to follow this  
Mike Ward

Twin Ike DS-51s or something else?

My trusty old Ikelite Ai's have died on me due to old age...

I would like to replace them with something smaller and lighter to help with my airline luggage problem, and am thinking about a pair of Ike DS-51s. They're small, light, cheap and give TTL with my Ike 350D housing.

Couple of questions: will they cover a fisheye well enough or am I just wasting my money?

Is there anything else you'd recommend?

Cheers for the help,

Mike.

I don't know about how bad your airline luggage problem is but I would suggest 1 DS125 as a start with a mind to upgrading to two later.

I manage to get my Ikelite system in a carry-on sized Lowepro bag including 2 ds125s and way too many lenses and a pocket camera backup system including wet lenses and a manual controller for that one.

The only thing I check is the dome.

If I was more reasonable with my lens selection I could easially get everything, ports and all in one bag, with a second bag for my reg.

I would much rather sacrifice lens selection for more strobe power and faster recycle time.

For macro the ds50 is adequate, but for WA I wouldn't want less power than my DS125s.

For macro the ds50 is adequate, but for WA I wouldn't want less power than my DS125s.

The power is adequate. I think they are more powerful than the ds125 on a specific area, but they cover much less. They are generally also too "white" if you want to get those blues discussed earlier on the forum.

If you are thinking about using them with a 100degree or more WA lens I'd go for a different combo. They don't do the job very well.

For macro they are superb and have a beutiful light!

Cheers,

Espen :wacko:

i would second the suggestion of 2 125s

Problem with DS125s is cost. In the UK a pair would set me back the equivalent of $2700, twice their Stateside price, hence the search for something cheaper.

I'm currently looking at the Sea&Sea YS110s, which would cost me the equivalent of $1300, and have a spec that suggests they'll do most of what the DS125s do, albeit with slower recycle and an aiming light not a modelling lamp.

$2700!!!!!!!!!!!

wow....

i haven't heard too much about the 110s as of yet. i had one here a couple weeks ago that i could have tried out but i was busy shooting video so didn't get the chance.

How about the Inon 240s? i know they are also quite powerful and very small, not sure how price compares

Not got a UK price for the Z240, but the Z220 is the same price as a DS125, just under $1100. Found a Far East source at half that but they're out of stock and the note says next stock expected August!

Problem with DS125s is cost. In the UK a pair would set me back the equivalent of $2700, twice their Stateside price, hence the search for something cheaper.

Amazing. It's half that price here. I feel for you. You're getting skinned there whip.gif

You could try buying it in an online shop in the US. Even with import duty and VAT it can't really double, can it ?

I checked some time ago, from what I remember import duty om flashguns runs about 20%, plus another tax I can't remember the name of of about 3%, all plus VAT at 17.5%, plus postage costs.

It does still work out a bit cheaper to buy direct from the US, but not a great deal and at the time (When I bought my housing) I decided to go to a UK supplier (In case of warranty issues) and try and negotiate an extra discount by buying at one of the dive shows. I ended up paying a bit more than US prices, but not much.

Meanwhile the YS110s are still without a champion either here or on DDN.....

Meanwhile the YS110s are still without a champion either here or on DDN.....

I'd try to email your contact in the east. I had some strobes shipped to me from Japan in October at a very nice price! Even with the 25% (Norway) Vat it didn't get more expensive than the 750 USD they go for in the states. I also thing they are a better strobe than the YS110s... That said without having tested the 110s all that much (land only). First impression.

Cheers,

Espen :P

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements