Alex_Mustard

Click counting on a Nikon

I have been asked a couple of times recently how to tell how many photos you have taken with your camera. One way you can check using Photoshop is through File Info (you have to choose your most recent photo). Then go to the Advanced menu and to the third option down.

Under here is a field called ImageNumber and this is number of photos your camera has taken.

I am not sure that this number is any use, but it is fun to see. It works on all the cameras I have files from, although I have not tested it exhaustively.

Alex

post-713-1165421596_thumb.jpg

Canon D60 doesn't do that .. I am gutted .. I wanted to know .. at least I have a new feature to look for in a new camera !

Wow, 50k is a lot! I took about 8k and got my camera about 6 months after you got yours... By the way, the click counter appears only on Photoshop CS2, I can't find it in CS (got my info from iExif).

Luiz

This doesn't work for Canon cameras - apparently the only way to find out (other than manually counting your shots :wacko: ) is to specifically ask the factory when the body is sent in.

Darn it. Sorry. I will change the title - to Nikon only.

Luiz, who says it is my camera! I don't even own a 17-55mm. :wacko:

Alex

Luiz, who says it is my camera! I don't even own a 17-55mm. :wacko:

Alex .. if it's not your camera ... then why did you label the image amustard ?

Thats why I always carry a knife when diving ..

The problem with looking at the number is that it allows you to figure your keeper rate. Mine's about .0000037% That's a lot of bad shots.

At least with slides, you tossed all the bad ones away. I just hard drive #7.

Thats why I always carry a knife when diving ..

I guess thats why 90% of men got into diving in the first place.... Me included :wacko:

Wow, 50k is a lot! I took about 8k and got my camera about 6 months after you got yours... By the way, the click counter appears only on Photoshop CS2, I can't find it in CS (got my info from iExif).

Luiz

My apologies if this is already widely known, but at least with the Nikon D200 you can set the camera to number your images sequentially up to 9999. It's done by choosing Custom Setting d6, File Number Sequence, "ON". The sequential numbering will continue even if you change or format cards. The image number can be viewed "in camera" by viewing the image and toggling through the image info in the LCD.

Michael.

Canon also provide this info BUT its not found in the same way. To access any metadata (which contains the frame number) create a small jpeg file of the image you want to check on and then open this in a text editor or word processor (Word works ok). If you scroll through the meaningless symbols you will find some text - the metadata. Look through this and you will find all sorts of info - I THINK (!!!) that the frame count number carries the following as tags either side of it - aux:ImageNumber - the figure shown seems to be the correct number from the knowledge I have of the amount of work my Canon's have done. You can use a search function to find them (If I'm wrong can someone let me know what the tags to search for are?).

Hi!

I'm not sure if these counters reflect the actual "milage" of your camera. Depending on camera make and firmware the counters ay be affected by changed storage media or by a user reset. Most cameras feature an internal counter that can only be read out by service personel (or for some brands by an PC based application).

For the Olympus E-Series there's a weird magic button sequence that shows a series of service screens. You may recall the number of images, power on events, lens canges, ...

Even the C-Series compact models have these kind of screens.

The sequence is (sorry, was) a well kept secret of the service department.

Helge ;-)=)

My apologies if this is already widely known, but at least with the Nikon D200 you can set the camera to number your images sequentially up to 9999. It's done by choosing Custom Setting d6, File Number Sequence, "ON". The sequential numbering will continue even if you change or format cards. The image number can be viewed "in camera" by viewing the image and toggling through the image info in the LCD.

Michael.

That's true, but becomes meaningless once you've shot more than 10,000 shots on the camera. The numbering then starts again at 0001... :glare:

Sponsors

Advertisements