scorpio_fish

Singapore option layover?

On the way back from Raja Ampat, we have an option to spend two days in Singapore vs. a few hours at the transit hotel.

Would it be worth it to tour around? I've never been outside the airport.

If it's not a Sunday, it's definitely worth a visit. Hotels are relatively cheap for a large city, and there's lots to see. Sundays are more limited due to closures. Transit is great and efficient.

Cheers,

Marli

If you are flying Singapore Airlines they have a stop over deal for some of the very nice hotels at very reasonable prices (I think we paid $65 pp per night for the Ritz, very swanky!). I really enjoyed Singapore and there is lots to do.

Yeah, a day or two is fun. Lots of camera stores!

Jack

When are you stopping over? In town the shops don't close on Sundays.

Give me a PM and let me know if your stopping over. I'll be around till the 30th December before flying off to Philippines.

Can always meet up.

Senor Scorpiofish, I just go to Singapore to eat. Much of the electronic stuff you find in singapore is cheaper at home except for Nikon D2Xs, which is just cheaper in Asia due to aggressive pricing by Nikon. Food is the best thing Singapore has (my very biased opinion!), being the melting pot for major asian cultures. The Indo china food is still lacking, but the local dishes are sinfully wonderful.

The tourist attractions are boring (again imho) so 2 nights would be max I'd stay.

Drop me a PM on when you are going. I may be in and out of there too.

I guess I should have been more specific re: Sunday closures. I found that a lot of shopping in the Orchard Road area wasn't open until noon, and that other areas (like Little India) were pretty much closed down when we visited on a Sunday afternoon.

That being said, I think if you've never seen Singapore, a few days are worth it, especially for the food.

Cheers,

Marli

I don't know if there are really a lot to see but if Indonesia is not burning any rubber, a few hours in Santosa, then Clark key, Boat key and up to Orchard Road would be the main attraction. Choose to dine at one of those big barza, East Coast park or my favorite Palm Seafood (Best pepper crab or chilli crab) or if you want sophistication, Chimes has lots of fancy places. Then finish it off at Raffle Hotel and wash down a few original Singapore Sling (they ain't cheap !). Don't go to that underground pub at Hyatt off Orchard Rd, there are nasty pick pocketers who does more then pick pocket.

Enjoy!

:SNIP:

Then finish it off at Raffle Hotel and wash down a few original Singapore Sling (they ain't cheap !).

That's right, but at least you get to throw your peanut shells on the floor ;)

That's right, but at least you get to throw your peanut shells on the floor :lol:

Any recommendations on hotels in Singapore for a 2-night lay-over?

Mahalo

Dave

Mahalo

Dave

I've stayed at the Hotel 81 (seedy, that's saying alot coming from me.) and the Strand. Which I liked Ok. Internet in the lobby and near the Orchard road shops.

http://www.strandhotel.com.sg/

Rand

Mahalo

Dave

You dont say what your price range is, but we love the Marriott at Orchard Road. We always do a stopover in Singapore whenever we visit SE Asia.

Cor

Mahalo

Dave

Dave

If you want shopping and convenience, the Marriot, Meritus Mandarin and Crown Prince Hotel are very convenient. Mandarin has the institutional Chatterbox coffeehouse, which has overpriced but good local food.

Nearer the electronics meccas of Sim Lim, I suggest Little India as an area to explore. Albert Court Hotel is a little boutique hotel on the main road. There's another one which I can't remember right now but a friend lived there for 4 mths and loved the proximity to transport and of course Sim Lim (electronics bazaar).Rand's suggestion of the strand is also very close by.

For a hotel away from the main shopping strip but nearby enough to get into it, the Trader's hotel is a favorite of one of WP's own and close to the botanical gardens. The very nice and $$$ french cuisine Au Jardin Les Amis in the gardens is a very nice place for a quiet dinner.

I've stayed at the Hotel 81 (seedy, that's saying alot coming from me.)...Rand

Wow finally someone who admits going to Hotel 81. I hear all the jokes from the locals about hotel 81 being like a love hotel tryst for horny singaporeans but no one admits ever been in one. So Rand how seedy was it? :lol:

LOL... Hotel 81... that must have been interesting... but hey, you can't beat their prices... and hotels in general are not cheap in Singapore. Another alternative for budget accommodation are some of the smaller hotels around Little India/ Arab St area. Now if your budgeting for 5 star hotel, try the Ritz Calrton... my favorite (when the company is paying... :lol: )

Things to do, eat eat eat... It's Singapore's national sport... seriously.. Try to find a night market with street hawkers. Or try some fishhead curry served on banana leaves with no utensils. Or some laksa... and don't forget the chili/ pepper crab!

LOL! Well, I've actually stayed twice at Hotel 81. Not sure how many there are but at least the two.

When you arrive, you'll be greeted by several, Uh interesting sights shall we say. The rooms are very small and walls are thin. Lots of traffic in the halls. Apparently, they rent rooms by the hour as well as the night...In any case, keeping with the U/W photogs creedo, I took only pictures and left only bubbles...and tried not to touch anything...

Rand

Ok Rand

We believe you... sure... but we want pics of the "action" in Hotel 81. :)

Hourly and thin walls huh? Makes for some interesting nights I bet. :lol:

I just got back from Raja Ampat and Lembeh last week. We had a two day stop in Singapore and it was definitely worth it. If you are a shopper....GREAT PLACE!! If you need photo gear....CHEAP (be aware of servicing difficulties on stuff purchsed there. It may still be worth it). Big bird park, singapore slings, botanical gardens, singapore slings, historical buildings, singapore slings, country tours and singapore slings. You won't regret spending some time there.

In case this old thread get search again ....

I had a long extended stay (+3 months) at the

Regalis Court

64 Lloyd Rd Singapore 239113

which I won't mind recommending.

It's off the edge off Orchard Rd, it will be a bit of a walk to the middle of Orchard Rd (Ngee Ann City)

). The place is very quite, it's not on the main road and it's small and somewhat colonial/victiornian or whatever style. As long as you get one of those corner room with 2 sides windows or with anything with window, it's very nice. Because they also have rooms in the middle of the building which means no window and that's nasty ! For ~$110 Sing a nite, it's very nice.

We also had an extended stay (+3 months) at the

Royal Peacock Hotel

55 Keong Saik Rd Singapore 089158

This is in Tanjon Paga (China town), this place looks very cute from the outside but rooms are very small. It's also ~$100Sing a nite. If you like the location, it's not too bad either. Their room has window !

If you like big hotel, I recommend InterContinential in Bugis, it's new, it's pretty and not outragesly expensive (may be it is now). Westin has the best location in my opinion but it's > $200 Sig a nite but you can walk to Raffle hotel & Chimes.

Edited by CADiver

Sponsors

Advertisements