Sign in to follow this  
wagsy

Amphibico 94 Degree Port

Slowly editing (still) our new Ningaloo DVD but thought I would post a few examples of what the Amphibico 94 degree (90.24 :D ) port can do with the aid of a macro +2 on the flip arm. Yes you can get better custom $$$ ports but for a standard lens and cheap macro +2 diopter...I'm happy..

I can get focus from the port to infinity when the fstop is high and still have it with the macro +2 flipped in.

An example was while shooting Whale Sharks while snorkeling I had it locked on full wide and not only was the shark in focus but a couple times I had particle specs on the dome and they were too :P .

I'll add some more examples soon.

Zoomed in with the macro +2 flipped in.

port.jpg

Zoomed our full still with the macro +2 in, same position.

port1.jpg

Zoomed full out, focus locked full wide about 4 feet from shark

port2.jpg

Full wide

port3.jpg

Zoomed in with the macro + 2 flipped in...fish moving fast so blurred

port4.jpg

Zoomed full out, macro flipped out and at the same distance still port5.jpg

Zoomed full in with the macro +2 flipped in

port8.jpg

Full wide with the macro flipped out, same position, about 1 meter

port9.jpg

Full wide, focus locked wide, banner a few inches from port

port10.jpg

Feather star arm touching the dome port with the macro in.

port11.jpg

More macro

Nudi zoomed in with the macro +2 flipped in.

1.jpg

Zoomed full out with the macro still in.

2.jpg

Macro in

5.jpg

Macro in zoomed right in

port14.jpg

Macro still in zoomed right out, same position

port13.jpg

Thanks Wags, those are some great examples of the versatility of the lens and housing.

I hope the big housing mfr's include a flip diopter for the FX7.

Hey Ron

Yes it is.

I'll post some more as I go along.

The Endeavour will come with the same port as the Phenom I believe and I'm sure you could take the URPRO filter out of the flip arm and pop in a Macro +2. Then you may be able to place the URPRO filter inside the end of the camera barrel itself for tropical diving. Take it out for lights and night time use.

Here are some more..

Full wide macro out.

port19.jpg

Zoomed in macro in same position

port20.jpg

Full zoom out with macro in..see flip arm still abit.

port21.jpg

Full zoom in with macro in, same position..

port15.jpg

Full zoom in with macro

port17.jpg

Full zoom out with macro still in, same position

port18.jpg

Pretty cool hey......

Ideally I'd like the housings to have 2 flip arms. 1 for filter and 1 for diopter.

Edited by ronrosa

You are not the only one with that wish.

I think they have to make bigger wider ports to allow two flip arms enough room to get a curved diopter on one and with no vignetting The ports have to be further away from the camera so they have to be bigger / wider etc.

Even L&M lost a flip arm when they made the UWP for the Bluefin.

What happened to that poor spotted bass?! Looks like a propeller hit the poor thing....

looks more like it grew up with a net or some plastic lodged around it

port21.jpg

Mate

You forgot to add 1% more of enlargement to that pic. :P

It's a small Spotted Estuary Cod I thought?

Yeh it might of been in a sharks mouth or had fishing line around it for awhile. Dunno but it was still happy to be alive. We often see the animals with hooks and trailing line from them, some real bad injuries done to the big Cods as well.

But you know it's okay to gaff them and handle these animals if you are fishing but look out if we touch one when diving. So many people have asked us why do you touch the animals :P . Well they can swim away if they want unlike fishing were you are dragging them around for fun? For some strange reason in Western Australia, recreational fishing is not thought of being harmfull to the animals :D Go figure...

Okay I think I have posted enough pics but here is just one last one.

No more.... :P

Full wide with the macro +2 flipped up in place.

See ocy's eye and divers eye in focus.

Ocy was just about touching port.

Just about everything in the shot was near on in focus...all from a standard Phenom Port shooting through a macro :D

port23.jpg

The Endeavour will come with the same port as the Phenom I believe and I'm sure you could take the URPRO filter out of the flip arm and pop in a Macro +2. Then you may be able to place the URPRO filter inside the end of the camera barrel itself for tropical diving. Take it out for lights and night time use.

How do you put the filter on the camera barrel ? What holds it in place ?

Edited by ronrosa

Ron, he means a screw in filter which in my mind is not a good idea. You lose 2 stops of light and limit your shooting to a certain depth because of the light loss. Flexibility is lost.

The flip macro filter obviously causes more vignetting problems, in Wags case, the upper left corner.

Arr... that's the because the flip filter was not fully in place, it had dropped down abit and into the shot. I have since tightened it up as the diopter is heavier than the URPRO filter.

As you know a URPRO filter for tropical diving works well and yes you do loose a fstop or two but on a normal 14 meter diver on 50 shutter, 0db, the FX1 is on like F8-F11 any how so no problems. Sometimes shooting in even shallow water you need to spin the shutter up as there is too much light. You can also put the ND filter on to cut back the light.

Ron you can buy a set of aftermarket diopters, take out the diopter from the ring it comes in and it should pop in the flip arm on the housing. Then place the URPRO fitler into the ring you took the diopter out off and then push that in the end of the camera barrel. On the FX1 you need to place abit thin tape around the edge of the ring as it is too small to screw in. You push it in and away you go, best of both worlds.

As you know a URPRO filter for tropical diving works well and yes you do loose a fstop or two but on a normal 14 meter diver on 50 shutter, 0db, the FX1 is on like F8-F11 any how so no problems. Sometimes shooting in even shallow water you need to spin the shutter up as there is too much light. You can also put the ND filter on to cut back the light.

Ron you can buy a set of aftermarket diopters, take out the diopter from the ring it comes in and it should pop in the flip arm on the housing. Then place the URPRO fitler into the ring you took the diopter out off and then push that in the end of the camera barrel. On the FX1 you need to place abit thin tape around the edge of the ring as it is too small to screw in. You push it in and away you go, best of both worlds.

Wags, that's the point I'm trying to make. If you have to go down to 24m, suddenly that 2 stops of light is important. And you can't pull it out. You lose flexibility with a fixed filter of any kind.

As for the CY or even Magic filter, you can buy those filters in 72mm and fit them correctly. The worst thing to happen is if the taped filter pops out and you have a filter bouncing around in front of the lens.

Wags, that's the point I'm trying to make. If you have to go down to 24m, suddenly that 2 stops of light is important. And you can't pull it out. You lose flexibility with a fixed filter of any kind.

As for the CY or even Magic filter, you can buy those filters in 72mm and fit them correctly. The worst thing to happen is if the taped filter pops out and you have a filter bouncing around in front of the lens.

Well to get to 24 meters around here you need to be out on the back of the reef or out far. I like all the pretty things around 14 meters and I can get long 90 min dives from me 10.5 lt steelie ;)

But yes in a perfect world twin flips please. There is no chance of my filter poping out, it sits in there tight and have to screw another ring onto it to get it out.

We plan to go out and feed the Potato Cods in the next few days, need some cool shots for our DVD. It's about 22 meters so will have a look at the fstop I'm getting down there with the filter on.

Anyone want to join us? :wacko:

We plan to go out and feed the Potato Cods in the next few days, need some cool shots for our DVD. It's about 22 meters so will have a look at the fstop I'm getting down there with the filter on.

Anyone want to join us? :wacko:

Nope, not deep enough and you make too many bubbles. ;):D

At last someone with the DABS to say they don't mind shallower dives..

I've been fighting that corner for years with my "Its not PROPER diving unless your ldeeper than 35M" mates, I find the shallower dives as exciting as any deeper ones..As Wags said more natural light more time ...

When i was on the 'Techie' dive off Singapore the other divers couldn't get over the fact I'd done 50+dives at around 5M... ;) A waste of Air one hairy arsed specimen said.. :wacko:

Oh well, boys will be boys.

Dive safe

Dean(enjoying every dive)B

I've been fighting that corner for years with my "Its not PROPER diving unless your ldeeper than 35M" mates, I find the shallower dives as exciting as any deeper ones..As Wags said more natural light more time ...

When i was on the 'Techie' dive off Singapore the other divers couldn't get over the fact I'd done 50+dives at around 5M... ;) A waste of Air one hairy arsed specimen said.. :wacko:

Oh well, boys will be boys.

Dive safe

Dean(enjoying every dive)B

I will dive wherever there is stuff to video!

In fact one thing that I really wanted to do this year but didnt get to was snorkle/freedive with the Leopard sharks in 10 feet of water in San Diego.

I will dive wherever there is stuff to video!

In fact one thing that I really wanted to do this year but didnt get to was snorkle/freedive with the Leopard sharks in 10 feet of water in San Diego.

Exactly. If you are not specifically shooting something that is fixed at a depth, then flexibility counts with camera setups. My very first harlequin shrimp was shot in 2 ft of water in PNG in 91. The skipper was wondering why there was a diver with full kit body out of the water, dunking his head in trying to look through his nikonos VF to take shots.

LimeyX, even though it's snorkel depth, I'd still do it in scuba. I tried snorkel and it was limiting to keep popping up and down, not to mention tiring. They respond ok to scuba gear if you approach slowly. Maybe we should do a wetpixel kayak special in La Jolla. Except I'm never around in CA in June and July.

Morning again....hi all...

2 ft...did you have to do a saftey stop. :wacko:

Yeh Dean, shallow rules..deep pu......

I mainly go out ot shoot vid so want the pretty stuff in natural light.

Rebreathers???? man half the time my dive gear does'nt even get washed never lone messing around with a rebreather..and I seem to have no trouble shooting the animals on open. That reminds me we need new dive gear...any manafactures out there want ot sponsor WAGS & Kelly as from watching the last dive on video we seem to have just as much air leaking out all over the place as what's coming out the reg ;) ?

Agree BIG TIME :wacko:

Messing around with the Phenom 94 degree port with a Macro +4 on the flip arm.

This is an Australian 10 cent coin, about one inch from the port in air.

No bad and not much tunneling.

coin.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements