Rocha

Your favourite shot of 2006

Last year Alex started a very popular topic in which we were supposed to post our best shots of 2005. There were some amazing images posted:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10989

Continuing with the tradition, I am asking now that you post your best shot of 2006. Remember, only one image allowed and a short explanation of why you consider this your best shot. Here is mine:

jelly.jpg

Nothing too unique or especially difficult about it, just brings me memories of one of my best dive trips. Taken with the D2x, Nikon 16mm fisheye and 2 Ikelites SS200.

Now let's see yours!

Luiz

My favorite; it was just so cool to dive the Oriskany a couple of weeks after the sinking.

This wreck is huge, and I plan to go back once a year for a while.

post-5478-1166325738_thumb.jpg

Blue_manatee_web.jpg

I call it "Blue Manatee".

Why? Well it is the first series of shots with my new DSLR I'm learning. It was an incredible day with the manatee - I actually got other shots where I like the "behavior" and interaction better, maybe even other shots that tell a better story or have better composition.....

But my jaw dropped when I saw the colors in this one. I hope it communicates on all monitors. Plus it is pretty much straight out of the camera. I'm proud of that because I'm just learning..... [d200/16mm/subal dome]

Blue Manatee - haunting, primal, sweet-natured, aesthetic above and beyond - but also "blue" in the sense that his future is uncertain.

It is a "blue" and bittersweet shot. I'm picking it as my best because it captured a uniquely "blue" moment in time.

Carol

Edited by seagrant

_KRN0046.jpg

This is my eight year old mermaid. Of all the UW shots I had the opportunity to take in 2006, this one is still my favorite!

This is probably mine.

I spent a couple of days takin pics of these guys and this one really stands out for me. Not the best shot or the most unique subject, but damn i got a sore arm holding the housing vertical for an hour!

YAP02575MV.jpg

O.k its not underwater but its the location for my new film... and I haven't got a housing and its not my camera. But its my fave of this year..

Dive safe

DeanB

post-5159-1166358050_thumb.jpg

Dean great pic there. :P

Okay not much of still guy but here is mine..Beauty and the Beast.

Queensland Grouper under the Exmouth Navy Pier.

Yep he was big and we got real close :D

grouper8.jpg

grouper4.jpg

Just to be weird: here's a shot housed in a very large dome! I got lucky and the flash and external light balanced, and the 10.5 didn't make John look any weirder than he usually does. Below 1000' on the wall at Cocos:

SubCocosJohn.jpg

This is my favorite shot, taken on a not so favorite trip to Roatan. I spent hours photographing these guys, but this expression makes me laugh. I call it Stella! (as in Streetcar Named Desire) It's in the January Scuba Diving magazine.

Cheers,

Marli

post-1116-1166378938_thumb.jpg

El Bajo, ascending into the wide blue....one of my favourite dives this year.

I also wanted to add a bizzare find... (happy.jpg)

post-600-1166378433_thumb.jpg

post-600-1166378897_thumb.jpg

Edited by gorgipark

Don't you hate people who can't follow the rules :P

d20060712-010.jpg

Seastar, barnacles and a coral hawkfish on Alcyone. d200, 12-24mm lens @ 24 mm, 1 x SS200 on manual. I like this shot as it is a reminder that there are often things on the dive site other than what you came for...

And here I go, breaking the rules...

d20060706-074.jpg

Two frigates off Cocos Island. I'm going to call this my favourite topside image :D

d200, 70-200 AFS Lens (handheld) @ f2.8.

Since there is already a blenny shot. this is my favorite nudibranch shot of 2006. I like it because the lighting gives it an ethereal glow. Shot with a 1Ds MarkII, Subal housing, 100mm Macro, twin ds 125's.

imasleeper

Not my best shot, but loved the subject matter.post-72-1166421972_thumb.jpg

Also shot at El Bajo seamount; sea of Cortez.

Not my best shot, but loved the subject matter.post-72-1166421972_thumb.jpg

I hate you Dave...

:P

Hard!

Like so often, my favourite shot is not necessarily my best. The favourite ones being the images taken deep, dark and in poor viz...

This one is a good compromise in between.

Red%20Sea%202006-06-26_045_sample.jpg

Taken during Alex's Red Sea workshop last summer. Apart being a nice picture, I like the fact that this was really "made" in stead of "taken".

timo

Well Dave i love ya, for that lovely Orca shot... :D

Cheers wags, I liked the underwater wedding photo's you posted or though you looked a bit green in the gills on that shot ;) Lost some weight though i see :D:wacko:

Sorry just can't resist it...

Dive safe

DeanB

Maybe not my best technically, but certainly my favorite. It helps to have a subject that really, really wants its picture taken. :wacko:

DSC2516.jpg

Clinton

I switched to digital underwater just this year. I joined a workshop at a local swimming pool to test my shiny new camera. It was first time I shot digital uw, first time I used fisheye and first time with no TTL option.

Almost a year later I can some things I could improve in this shot, but it was the first photo ever that I got a reward for (Coolpix plus housing for Picture of the Month in Nurkowanie magazine). I guess it's enough to call it my favourite shot of 2006 :wacko:

2006-01%20Warsztaty%20-%20dzien%202%206.jpg

326397494_78434bb5fd_o.jpg

This is by far my favourite image that I have taken this year .. so many great memories from possibly the best dive trip I could imagine doing.

I am completely ready for more now .. my first dive trip started on a high .. the rest have to match up !

The reason for this being my favourite is not because it is a humpback whale .. nor because it is my best shot from my first ever dive trip (I have no idea which is my best still waiting on hard drive to be recovered so I can convert properly rather than the rush job i did thats on flickr) The real reason this is my favourite is it was a complete accident of a shot that happened moments before i thought I was going to die as this whale decided to start moving and apparently wanted to land on me ... or at least that is how it seemed my first time having been around such a creature. Amazing .. truely amazing experience. I'll always remember it.

It is hard to choose a single shot, but if I had to pick one, It would probably be this. It isn't particularly unusual or technically challenging, but I like the bright colors and it makes me smile. It certainly doesn't compare to some of the beautiful images I have seen on this forum but it will always evoke memories of a wonderful trip to Kapalai and Sipidan. It is also easily accessible to nondiver and nonphotogs.

246270415_d09bd5b52c_o.jpg

Edited by drsteve

post-5530-1166514396_thumb.jpgpost-5530-1166514396_thumb.jpgWhile I usually tend to be more drawn towards fish portraits and simple shots, the chaos in this one makes it my favorite shot in 2006. It was pretty exciting when all these fish started going after some eggs on the reef. I never really got the lighting quite right because I was afraid the whole scene would be over before I could get it right... just a factor of inexperience.

Fiji, September. First trip with the D200.

Edited by diveh2o

Sponsors

Advertisements