Sign in to follow this  
dave.distel

Glove Question.

Hi everyone! I have been reading here for a while, but this is my first post :D. You guys all seem great and have lots of information to offer.

I have a question for everyone out there; I dive in southern California, where the water is roughly between 55-64 F. I have a pair of Excel 7mm gloves that keep my hands nice and warm, but its hard for me to manipulate the controls on my camera/strobe with them. Anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of gloves to keep my hands warm, but are thin enough at the tips to work my controls?

Thanks for the help and happy holidays!

If you're using a drysuit, I'd highly recommend integrated dry gloves. They rock. Thin and very warm. Or if you're not diving a drysuit, maybe try the dryglove systems with seals, although I doubt they'll keep you as warm, because of the squeeze on them.

Thats really good to know, I don't have a drysuit yet, but am ordering one at the end of Jan. Glad to know that those will work well. I guess I will just have to deal with it untill then.

Thanks

I too dive dry now, but my hands are still wet. I'm not sure my USIA suit had the option of integrated dry gloves, but that would have been nice! I often thought that if they can do it with the boots, why not the gloves too. One problem with dry gloves though, you still need to wear some sort of thermal protection under the glove like the rest of your body. That could put you right back into the same or worse position than your 7mm gloves!?

I use Scubapro 5mm gloves and don't have a problem even with the buttons that are really close together. I guess it just takes some practice? When I go tropical,I wear a pair of reef gloves and really have no problems! Look for a glove that doesn't put the seam right at the tip, so you have the most dexterity right where you need it for those buttons.

Thank you for the reply, Ill look into the Scubapro 5mm gloves. It's not really the buttons that are a problem, but its the dial itself on the strobe (to adjust power, full, 1/2, etc) thats giving me the hardest time.

CA diving is close enough to cold for me to wear gloves. I dive wet and my fingers do get chilly in So Cal.d

I've compromised by chopping off the tip of the index finger and thumb on my right glove.

*Update*

Just incase anyone was wondering, or had the same problem; I got a pair of "Cressi" 2.5 mm from my dive shop. I was a little worried about them being to thin, but they fit me perfect ( fit like a glove :D ) and actually did the job well. I was diving last night, water temp was 57, and I was fine. They are also really nice for working the camera because they are so thin it feels like I have no glove on.

Happy diving everyone.

I'd vote for dry gloves too. I've got DUI ones which work fine with my camera controls - and I wear a pair of thin, DUI-provided, material gloves under the rubber dry glove. This does away with suit squeeze quite nicely, provides a nice warmth - and, as I say, still allows me to operate the controls on my Subal housing.

I tried out my new Pinnacle 4mm merino gloves off Vancouver Island over Christmas in 44deg. F water and was toasty. They're supposed to give the warmth of a 5mm glove with only 4mm of thickness. However, my wife hates her pair because they are a little scratchy on the inside. So try before you buy.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements