Sign in to follow this  
marinedomain

Now how did that happen

I have had my Nikon D200 for a few months now but do not have a housing for it. Have been casually looking around at prices etc, but have not done anything serious.

I went to see Peter (pmooney wetpixel member) about doing a little job for him and next thing I know I'm walking out of his shop with am Aquatica housing wondering how the hell did that happen. A credit to Peter's great sales technic I guess.

Anyway took it out for it first test run today. Did a 10min dive with no camera in and all went fine, jumped out put the camera in carefully checking all orings and proceeded to jump back in only to see bubbles coming out of the housing, with pulse rising I made sure the dome was facing down and rapidly got out of the water. Unclicking the housing noticed that I had managed to get the bulkhead cable stuck between the oring and housing, luckily only my cheap $200 lens was affected. I valuable lesson learnt thankfully at a cheap cost, things could have been heaps worse.

Anyway borrowed a lens and went in for another dive this time making sure the cable was fully tucked away, took the following pics:

_DSC3522.jpg

_DSC3523.jpg

_DSC3525.jpg

_DSC3526.jpg

_DSC3527.jpg

_DSC3528.jpg

_DSC3530.jpg

Regards

Gary

It was not a very hard sell. just a few well presented facts and a good deal of employer subsidy.

Glad to see that the lesson has been learned on day 1 and that you are able to move on to day 2.

Congrats, I'm shooting the Aquatica D200 as well. It's the best housing I've owned. A well thought out design.

First, nice stingray shots!

Do you have insurance? That could have been a $1600 lesson if you had trashed the camera, or it could have cost you only a $25 deductible if you had DEPP (of DAN) insurance. Those couple of hundred dollars a year are well worth it.

I am very careful with my cameras and have had no issues in four years [knocks on wood], but thanks to my insurance, my biggest concern is the photos I'll miss when the inevitable happens and not the money I'll lose.

I wouldn't put that camera back into the water until you have insured your housing, camera, and lenses (not to mentions the rest of your dive gear in case of loss or theft). Heck, I didn't put my D80 in the water the first time without having insurance.

Good luck with your new housing!

David

Edited by AUTiger

nice new toy! Congrats

Might want to give the local stingrays a bit more clearance... :rolleyes:

You might be learning another lesson very shortly... ;)

Rays send a very clear warning and I see it more than once in your pics...

Bruce

Well I love the new housing, am finding it heaps eaier to use than my old camera. Not having to take your hands off the handles to make adjustments is great. anyway here are some more pics

Wally_s.jpg

Wally1_s.jpg

Wally2_s.jpg

Apparently the damage to his side was done by a shark.

Nikon D200 with 20mm lens in an Aquatica housing

Regards

Gary

Nice shots and congrats on the purchase. I have mine for the last month and really having fun with it. Still trying to get the hang of it after switching from the PNS but really enjoying the camera. And get insurance. You will feel a lot less stressed in the water.. and always dump the housing into a tank of water to check for leakages.

Now you will be ready to purchase your second D200 body as a back up. :D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements