JDelage

P&S for UW with decent shutter lag & RAW / TIFF support?

Hi all,

First post here, thanks in advance for the help. This URL was suggested on a DP Review thread I was reading.

I am looking for a good camera + housing recommendation. The camera should be a compact / subcompact format, and be of good quality. Some of the key features I need are:

- Support uncompressed picture format (either TIFF or a RAW)

- Reasonably small shutter lag

- Internal flash.

Any recommendation would be most appreciated. I have a D-SLR, but I don't feel ready to invest into the gear to take it swimming.

Try Peter Rowlands' UWP webmag for the most up-to-date reviews, as these cameras change so quickly. I had a lot of fun with a Nikon Coolpix, but that's a while ago:

post-4522-1167772652_thumb.jpg post-4522-1167772712_thumb.jpg

I really liked the way that I could switch from near-macro to wide-angle. I miss that with a D-SLR, but in the end the D-SLR has to be the way to go - don't spend too much, because you WILL be housing your big camera later!

Tim

B)

Olympus SP350 would be your best bet. You can find them at Costco for a good price. It does RAW and you can hook up a strobe to it if you wanted. THere should be a new replacement for it soon which would also be a great choice.

Ikelite and Oly both make housings for it

Yes, we are all looking for the holy grail. So far nothing approaches the least expensive dSLR.

I concur with Mike. The SP350 is a good choice of camera to start on and to evolve with as well...

Sponsors

Advertisements