shawnh

Amazon.com sells shark fin soup

Very interesting, and thanks.

As a graphic designer and long time Apple user, I am dissapointed to see Apple is better at talking the talk than walking the talk.

Another call for action!!

Here are the facts:

1) The first product (Dragonfly) is no longer available but the page is still there (although you can't find it through a search, only the direct link).

2) The second product (Roland) is still there and listed as "In Stock":

http://www.amazon.com/14-1-SHARKFIN-SOUP-C.../qid=1167910431

3) Everybody that tried to leave negative feedback in this second product failed.

4) Amazon is sending answers with things like "we have a wide range of customers"...

I am now wondering if the first product was removed by Amazon or by the vendor, as Amazon won't do anything about the Roland soup. Please, don't let this cool down, there are other ways to express your opinion. Please, copy the text of the e-mail that you sent to Amazon and send it again to these addresses:

jeffb@amazon.com Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com CEO.

curry@amazon.com Bill Curry, Public/Media Relations.

tel: 206-266-7180

Let's keep the pressure on!

Luiz

I am working through all the books I ever ordered from Amazon and writing reviews at the end I state that I will not buy from Amazon until the cease this selling shark fin soup. The more people know and pressure them the better---

I am working through all the books I ever ordered from Amazon and writing reviews at the end I state that I will not buy from Amazon until the cease this selling shark fin soup. The more people know and pressure them the better---

Lets take the issue to a larger audience.please leave feedback at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4784595.stm

FYI, I got the same pat response from Amazon. In addition to Amazon's censorship of negative reviews, i find it appallingly arrogant that they try to play down their responsibility by saying its a third party's product, not their own. My rebuttal is at the bottom of their note.

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your comments.

We have great respect for your concerns. One of our goals as an

online retailer, however, is to offer our customers the ability to

purchase a wide variety of products on our site. It is unfortunate

but inevitable that some of our customers may find a few of these

items objectionable.

Please note that the items in our Gourmet store are offered by third-

party merchants--they are not sold directly by Amazon.com.

We always value customer feedback, and I have passed along your

desire that we exclude items of this sort from our site.

I thank you again for taking the time to send us your comments about

this issue. We hope you will allow us to continue to serve you.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:

If not, click here:

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept

incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help

section of our web site.

Best regards,

Gayathri R.

Amazon.com Customer Service

Here was my response to their note:

I realize the line can be fuzzy at times of what makes a product objectionable - for example, meat products that are objectionable to vegetarians are perfectly fine to many others. But I do not see any ambiguity in the fact that you are selling a product which is indisputably collected in a way which kills endangered marine life including sharks, dolphins and turtles.

Although the items in your gourmet store are 3rd parties, Amazon is still acting as a sales channel for the product, and benefitting financially from the sale. That makes you part of the supply chain for this product, and it is shameful for you to deny partial accountability.

I now regret purchasing several hundreds of dollars of merchandise from Amazon this past year, I will not do future business with you as long as this product remains on your website, and I will do everything in my power to see that other environmentally conscious people are made aware of Amazon's irresponsibility in this area.

"We have great respect for your concerns. One of our goals as an

items objectionable.

Please note that the items in our Gourmet store are offered by third-

party merchants--they are not sold directly by Amazon.com."

Yeah right!

Amazon is not excactly e-bay.Like any trading company , they have "Buyers"

that rate a product and determine the quality,supply and possible profit.

Most products are well research before being available.

NICE try but Bull**** AMAZON .(forwarded to amazon)

I just sent this off to the CEO

See if I get a responce...maybe get a letter from their lawer HA HA.....happend once before when I posted negative stuff about a Lowrance depth sounder.... :D power of the internet....

Gday Jeff

Thought you might like to watch this clip.

http://www.hdvunderwater.com/boycottamazon.html

You don't have to be a rocket scientists to work out that this kind stuff is not good for the marine world.

Do you know how long it takes sharks to repoduce and what would happen to the worlds oceans if they wre all gone?

Would you like your grandkids to be able to see these animals as well in 10 or 20 years.

Well believe it or not, there will be no more sharks left if this keeps going on.

Anyhow would be good if you guys do the right thing and help by doing your bit?

Cheers

Wags

Wagsy, perhaps Youtube would be a good place to get the word out?

Just posted on the cartilidge product on Amazon. keep it rolling folks! Wags, love your style.

Hey folks,

Some good advice and i posted my shark finning flick on YouTube. Now, how do we get this to be featured so millions of people around the world see it? Any ideas welcome. Go to:

-shawn

Update from my end: I showed the Amazon links to Howard and Michele Hall last night, and they helped me get in contact with one of their TV friends, who seems to be interested in running a story on the air (somewhere in news land).

May try to get Alibaba mentioned in the coverage as well!

I also updated the front page article to mention all three products, and updated the code members can use to post on their own sites.

Personal images are great! The VitaminLife product has a finning image as its default image. Fantastic work, guys.

Also, look at the Dragonfly shark fin soup page and notice the related products on the bottom. Think Wetpixel users are going there? :D

Personal images are great! The VitaminLife product has a finning image as its default image. Fantastic work, guys.

Also, look at the Dragonfly shark fin soup page and notice the related products on the bottom. Think Wetpixel users are going there? ;)

:D Oh you little terrorists :D

i just received the same stock answer from amazon customer service after i sent them an email... :D

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your comments.

We have great respect for your concerns. One of our goals as an

items objectionable.

...snip...

blah blah blah

I'm amazed that Amazon deleted all the negative comments for Roland. I wonder if Roland complained to them?

I also wonder how long Nula's finning image will remain live. How wonderfully subversive!

This should make national and international news! The Disney shark fin soup debacle did, and that least they had the "excuse" that they were following local tradition. It appears incredably risky of Amazon to peddle this type of products and it just might have a real impact on their business if word gets out to the markets and investors. I urge everyone to write with this "story tip" to media. Contacts for media can for example be found at http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111

What makes this all the worse is that Amazon either chose to sell these products OR chose not to stop their vendor from selling this type of product immidiately after being alerted about this being sold on Amazon. If thos product somehow ended up on Amazon without their knowledge, then the only defensible action would have been an immidiate severing of relationship with these particular vendors and a public apology to their investors and customers. What they should also have done by now is to donate any and all proceedings from the sales generated from products that have been peddled thru these 3rd party vendors to organizations that work for the conservation of marine life. They should also match these proceeds dollar for dollar in "reparations" to show their remorse. This is the MINIMUM they should do. I hope they will either do more or be heavily fined. SHAME ON AMAZON!

The Roland product is still there along with the dozen or so pictures showing the finned sharks. I posted a comment, but we shall see if it makes it onto the web. :D

Hey folks,

I telephoned and spoke to the local marine campaigners from the Australian Conservation Foundation, the Australian Marine Conservation Society and the Humane Society International. All groups have pretty good media traction down here.

I sent through a follow-up email asking them to consider a media release on this issue.

Here is a copy of the email.

Thanks for offering to consider this.

Please find links to the following shark fin products recently offered for sale on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/14-1-SHARKFIN-SOUP-C.../dp/B00019FVV8/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B0001RIQLW/

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Fin-Cartilage-.../dp/B000637IIS/

Given that many Australian's purchase products from amazon.com, I'm sure they would be interested to hear that the company is supporting this wasteful practice (95-99% of the shark is discarded).

As I'm sure you are aware, the IUCN estimates that more than 100 million sharks are killed annually.

Finning has increased substantially in the past 15 years and fins are sourced worldwide.

Australia has measures in place to outlaw finning, but the highly migratory nature of many shark species means that our sharks are likely to be vulnerable beyond our jurisdiction.

For images from last month which might strengthen media interest see this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=16752&st=0

And this video:

Both these stills and video were shot very recently in SE Asia and are no doubt repeated worldwide every day.

Also see this page for the pathetic response from Amazon.com in response to customer concerns.

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/amazoncom-s...shark-fin-soup/

You may consider contacting similar organisations near you to generate media coverage.

The media are much more likely to pick up this issue if they already have background and a comment from a local conservation organisation - to give it a local angle. They may try to get comment from Amazon, but even the details on the wetpixel page demonstrates the apathy they are likely to encounter.

I'll keep you posted on what happens...

Keep up the good fight guys - well done on the success so far. If we can get this up in the media, we'll reach beyond the wetpixel community (which has already had some great successes) and have more ammunition against amazon.

Let's get em.

Well - a few hours on and the Australian Conservation Foundation are making the right noises and will hopefully do a press release tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it gets picked up locally and makes a few more people aware of the issue.

The Humane Society International told me they'd pass it on to their US Counterparts - so maybe someone over there could encourage them to generate some media. Anyone in Washington?

The Humane Society of the United States

2100 L St., NW

Washington, DC 20037

202-452-1100

HSI Australia see it more as a US issue, although I tried to get them to see the local angle - plenty of Aussies buy from amazon.com - oh well.

I'm still working on the AMCS...

Anyone have other ideas?

Edited by anthp

Thanks a lot for what your doing but I was wondering at the same time that you are doing this cant we contact an International Media? The most problem that we have is education. when I talk to people about this its funny what they answer, most of them say well sharks are dangerous so its good to kill them so they don't attack humans any more and they say that because of their lack of knowledge. I think we should think of that as well as getting help from politicians and setting laws that forbid this.

Thanks,

Mohammad Tavakoli

Thanks for the code snippet Eric, I've added it to my Windows Live Space as well.

It's absolutely deplorable that in the capitol of politically correct behavior here in the Pacific Northwest these businesses participate in such destructive anti-environmental practices.

I think I'll email Senators Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell to let them know what their local businesses are doing.

Our movement is having effect, the two soups are now listed as not available, however, these two "vitamins" made of pure shark fin cartilage are still available:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Fin-Cartilage-...60901&s=hpc

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Fin-Cartilage-...4901285-1804722

Please, drop you customer reviews there. Also, I left some images in the first, but they have to be voted in to appear.

Let's keep the pressure!

Luiz

Sponsors

Advertisements