Sign in to follow this  
videodan

Expodisc White Balance Filter

Love the colours, it looks like a shot of bikini bottoms through a thermal spring, hence the distorted picture.., :lol:

Or my distorted mind :rolleyes:

Dive safe

DeanB

Hey, lay off him, Nick might have started a whole new trend in uw shooting... the psychodelic planet beneath the waves. It'll always keep you guessing. This just might be the first shot of a sperm whale fighting with a giant squid....and to think...Nick was there first. ;-)

Steve B)

No, Dean was right. I ran it through a couple of Vegas filters and it came up nicely.

post-3234-1154203388_thumb.jpg

Wags - here's a couple pics of the expodisc - 67mm. The first one is the expo side by side with one of the flip arms from the Phenom - the second is the two parts of the expodisc.

post-4360-1154218437_thumb.jpg

post-4360-1154218451_thumb.jpg

Nice butt, is that one of your customers :rolleyes:

Byrce that is thick..well lets see if we can come up with some thinner ones. Maybe even some semi transparent white plastic would work abit the same way as well.

I have some white thin transparent diffusers here, will see if the camera can WB them..

I just wb the camera through this very thin semi plastic white diffuser I have in a dark place and indeed it WB the camera as well when it could not do it without.

So over the next few days I will make a small thin second flip arm and put this on and see how it goes.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Nice butt, is that one of your customers :rolleyes:

Yeah, was sitting on the side of the pool and had no idea the camera was still recording ...... honest!

How about just putting the camera wildly out of focus?

Nick,

You must have the same mind as my mate 'stealthy Dave' he just got back from taking pics at a 'superbike' day (his passion) and a third of his photos were ladies in the audience in states of undress :lol:

You do not get that opportunity in freezing cold quarries :rolleyes:

Dive safe

DeanB

Wagsy, they look like the same diffusers that come with the UK Cannon video lights

Steve

Do they, they come with the Darkbuters HID lights.

DARKBUSTER

24 watts for 130 min burn time for like $350 AUS cheap as...who cares if they only last a couple years..just buy another on :D

light.jpg

And here is a rough wagsy Expodisk....it really does WB the camera in low light. will test it out in the water. If it works them we are laughing.

flip.jpg

Looks like a damn nice setup. Wish I were handy and could do those type of things but I pat myself on the back for putting the chain back on the toilet float.

Steve B)

What do you still use one of those old overhead toilet setups over there. :D

Plan to go and dive the Exmouth Navy Pier tomorrow and I will try out the flip diffuser thing I made . I was trying to WB the camera in dark areas but once I flipped it up the camera could WB. It kind of likes spreads the light over more of the area so the camera can get a hit. Might have to make it a shade of white or blue.

Yeah, but it's a high tec toilet.

Steve B)

Hey, guys. This has been stated before, but I've been told that with the 100-degree lens on the L&M Bluefin HD housing, the expodisc cannot be made to fit in the macro lens flip-down without hitting the lens. This isn't a problem for me at the moment, since no one has the 100 lens yet, but it will be eventually.

If so... the expodisc would have to replace the red flip-down, and a red filter would have to be attached to the camera itself.

But since there is so little room between the flip-down and the front of the camera, Dan Baldocchi is saying that you can put a 67mm filter inside the front of the Z1u/FX-1's front lens lip. From visual inspection of my own camera, it looks like it would work.

Can anyone verify this?

Eric yes a 67 ring with the CCfilter in it will go inside the end of the camera so the ring ends up sitting flush with the end of the camera allowing you to still use the flip arms. You will need to put some soft tape around the edge of the ring so it sits in there snuggly.

But you used parts that came with the Phenom right Wags? The only 67mm filter I can see on UR-Pro site is for a Nikonos 20mm lens. Do you think that would that do?

Nick once you get the set of HOYA 67mm macro's, take out the +2 from the ring and the standard Amphibico CC glass filter goes straight into the ring whch then can be pushed into the end of the camera so it does not interfere with the flip arms. Then the Hoya macro +2 can go on the flip arm.

I hope that explains it now...or do you want a pic :D

Ah, you're using the ring from a Hoya diopter. I was just thinking which actual part(s) those Bluefin FX1 owners ( :D ) might need to order bearing in mind that they don't need the Hoyas and they don't have the UR-Pro that came with the Phenom.

Has anyone tried using this with a Gates housing yet?

Steve B)

Don't know Steve....but the after messing around with my first design, I do think we are on the right track in having a very thin second WB thingy that can be flipped up to WB the camera.

I have made a white one now so will try that out. The first one did work but not down deep still.

More soon.

post-4240-1154771405_thumb.jpg

With the Gates there's only one lever for the UR filter, so it sounds like either one or the other could be used.-Steve B)

Plan to go and dive the Exmouth Navy Pier tomorrow and I will try out the flip diffuser thing I made . I was trying to WB the camera in dark areas but once I flipped it up the camera could WB. It kind of likes spreads the light over more of the area so the camera can get a hit. Might have to make it a shade of white or blue.

Wagsy, forgive me if I'm missing the obvious but if you make the flip out filter similar to a warm card (light Blue) aren't you gonna increase the amount of red seen by the camera and then use that in conjunction with the CC filter aren't you scared its gonna wash out red??? Going through the CC filter could be an advantage. There are some of the larger prod companies out there who buy stock and prefer the underwater stuff to have been shot without the CC filter. It would be interesting to balance warm and see what that gives without the CC.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun with the gear once it lands. I'll also be sharing that here.

Cheers,

Mark.

Excellent article and tutorial Eric, very well done. Now we have to find ways to mount them into/onto other housings, and get some feedback from other users. I'm still getting great results with Expodisc, and can't imagine shooting without it.

Dan

Wow Eric,

That is an awesome tutorial and I for one will be building both of these using your tutorial.

way to get it done right.

shawn

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements