Rocha

Nikon 105 VR with 5T or 6T

Hi all,

I just got two used close-up diopters (Nikons 5T and 6T) from KEH.com. Amazingly, their prices are out of control on eBay (100-150 each) but I paid $40 for each at KEH. Anyways, has anybody used these with the new 105 VR? I didn't buy it yet but will soon and was wondering if AF functions ok or if I need an MF port.

Thanks,

Luiz

I have used the 5T a lot with this lens underwater. Optically it is very nice. AF is fine. I also use the Canon 500D dioptre and that is nice too.

When I stack the two together the image quality is good. But the AF does struggle a bit underwater. But not bad at all.

Not got a 6T.

Alex

p.s. If you are interested in the image quality I can send you a full res file when I am back, Luiz.

Is a B+W +5 close up lens the same as a Nikon 5T

The Nikon 5t and 6t are dual-element achromatic diopters (as is the cannon 250d/500d), and will give better images than the b+w.

Chris

I have a 5T and have messed around with it topside it works well. Around 1:1 I have trouble with AF on this lens. I too have been frustrated with e-bay inflated prices for these. The 4T works just fine with a step-down ring on digital at least.

I'm still looking for a 6T if I can find one. Couldn't find one on KEH.

Edited by UWphotoNewbie

There is one on ebay right now, but if you don't need it desperately I would wait for KEH (because I am sure it will sell for over $100). They often receive good ones and post it on their site, but they don't last long, so check back frequently. You can also send them an e-mail requesting that they let you know when they receive one, kind of a wait list thing. I am not sure if they do that, but it is worth a try (better than paying $150 on ebay).

Luiz

No, besides the fact that the 5T and the 6T are both dual-element diopters and the B=W 5+ is not, they also have a different magnification. The 5T is about +1.5 dioptre and the 6T is almost +3 diopter: when stacked it'll be approximately +4.5 dioptre which is almost the same as the B+W 5+ which is.... 5+ dioptre. to give you some idea: with the 6T (+3) on the 105 mm you can reach a maximum reproduction ratio of 1.5: 1, so my guess will be that you reach nearly 2:1 with B+W +5 diopter

I own both of them (5T and 6T) and they both work fine and i have no complains about the quality. With the 6T i experienced quit some difficulties with AF when used in cold, murky, low-light conditions, but fortunately Hugyfot recently developed a two piece manual focus gear for it, that exactly fits their standard flatport with a 25 mm extension ring (but the maximum fatness of the lenses for their ports is reached now...). I tested the prototype and i'm very positive about it, it's very convenient to help the lens a little bit to get near focus of your subject to prevent hunting of the lens.

cheers, Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen

I may give a +5 a try, seeing as the others are so hard to come by.

I had a strange problem with this lens today - it decided to suddenly stop focusing. It was in low viz conditions and with low contrast subjects. Problem occured twice and was fixed by turning camera off and on again. No dioptre - but worth mentioning as the dioptre might increase this problem?

Alex

I had a strange problem with this lens today - it decided to suddenly stop focusing. It was in low viz conditions and with low contrast subjects. Problem occured twice and was fixed by turning camera off and on again. No dioptre - but worth mentioning as the dioptre might increase this problem?

Alex

I experience something similar. When the lens focusses from 31.4 cm to infinity and back and nothing was locked on it's way to focus it just stops at 31.4 cm en it refuses to 'search' again for a few attempts. When i put a strong light on the subject and i retry it a few times again it hunts, sometimes succesfull sometimes not. I have the impression that the motor is somewhat too quick for the camera to recognise subjects in low-light conditions. Because i very often dive in low-light/visibilty it's very convenient to help the 105VR with the manual focus gear: once more or less in position it turns out that it is better capable of locking on your subject.

Udo

There are four 6T and two 5T on ebay today (01/14). When there are lots like this they go for reasonable prices, here is your chance!

I have used the 5T a lot with this lens underwater. Optically it is very nice. AF is fine. I also use the Canon 500D dioptre and that is nice too.

When I stack the two together the image quality is good. But the AF does struggle a bit underwater. But not bad at all.

Not got a 6T.

Alex

p.s. If you are interested in the image quality I can send you a full res file when I am back, Luiz.

Not got a 6T.

Alex

Alex,

I tried to put a 5T on my 105VR with the new Subal 105VR port and it made contact with the port glass proventing the attachment to the DN2 housing. How did you get around this?

Elmer

Hi Elmer

Can you use an extension ring with the port? Maybe a 20mm? I had to use a 40mm ring with my Nexus 60mm flat port vs the recommended 20mm ring due to a radial interference problem. It gave me extra room to add a diopter if I choose.

Jim

Edited by jcclink

Hi Elmer,

I don't have the Subal port. I use a custom extention ring with the old 60mm port - which I made sure was long enough to take the lens plus a dioptre.

I can't believe that Subal would make a port for this lens that is not long enough to accomodate a dioptre too. Which is quite a common accessory for a 105mm. :D

This problem is magnified because it is not easy to add an extention ring to this port - as many of the Subal extention rings have narrow throats - and therefore won't fit the 105mm VR.

I really wish that these manufacturers, particularly Subal, would occassionally speak to the photographers using there equipment. Especially because several people here on Wetpixel have been using this lens for ages in Subal housings. And we could have forewarned them about these problems. :D

Alex

Hi Elmer,

I don't have the Subal port. I use a custom extention ring with the old 60mm port - which I made sure was long enough to take the lens plus a dioptre.

I can't believe that Subal would make a port for this lens that is not long enough to accomodate a dioptre too. Which is quite a common accessory for a 105mm. :D

This problem is magnified because it is not easy to add an extention ring to this port - as many of the Subal extention rings have narrow throats - and therefore won't fit the 105mm VR.

I really wish that these manufacturers, particularly Subal, would occassionally speak to the photographers using there equipment. Especially because several people here on Wetpixel have been using this lens for ages in Subal housings. And we could have forewarned them about these problems. :D

Alex

Alex,

I just switched from a Sea & Sea D200 setup because it was too negative to the Subal D2Xs setup. I trying to fit the system together but find I have compatibility problems, the extension ring is too small in diameter for the 17-55 with the dome and now to 105 VR port is too short for a diopter. I tried the other extension rings and you are 100% correct, the internal diameter is too small. Will call Ryan Canon and see what can be done.

Elmer

Hi Elmer

Can you use an extension ring with the port? Maybe a 20mm? I had to use a 40mm ring with my Nexus 60mm flat port vs the recommended 20mm ring due to a radial interference problem. It gave me extra room to add a diopter if I choose.

Jim

Jim,

Another problem is that the internal diameter of the Subal extension rings is too small for the 17-55 and 105VR lens.

Elmer

Elmer,

To re-assure you - there are solutions to all these problems. I, and many others, have taken 1000s of underwater photos with the 17-55 and 105mm VR in our Subals. And I am sure that Ryan will sort you out!

I just get frustrated that the manufacturers don't both contacting the photographers who are out there using their kit - to ask them how they might use it. The main motivation for the new 105mm port was because the throat of the old port was too tight and the new 105mm lens had to be wedged in. Then to design a port for this lens that doesn't take the standard Nikon dioptres is dumb.

Ryan, at least, seems to have good communication channels with Subal - so dealing with him will be the best way to sort out this problem.

Alex

Elmer,

To re-assure you - there are solutions to all these problems. I, and many others, have taken 1000s of underwater photos with the 17-55 and 105mm VR in our Subals. And I am sure that Ryan will sort you out!

I just get frustrated that the manufacturers don't both contacting the photographers who are out there using their kit - to ask them how they might use it. The main motivation for the new 105mm port was because the throat of the old port was too tight and the new 105mm lens had to be wedged in. Then to design a port for this lens that doesn't take the standard Nikon dioptres is dumb.

Ryan, at least, seems to have good communication channels with Subal - so dealing with him will be the best way to sort out this problem.

Alex

Alex,

It appears I have the wrong extension ring for the 17-55, I need a 70i ring.

Will try an enlarged internal diameter 20mm ring with the 105VR port and to solve the diopter problem. I agree, Subal should have contacted the using public for their input before making the port.

Any experience using a 24-85 f 2.8-4 with a flat port as a 35-85 in its macro setting??

thanks for your reassurance,

Elmer

I've no experience with that lens. The two mid range zooms I use are:

17-55mm F2.8 - behind a dome port, with a dioptre.

28-70mm F2.8 (sigma) - behind a flat port.

From personal experience, I would not go any wider than a 35mm lens on FF format (about 28mm on cropped sensor) without a dome port. I think that the 24mm might be a bit compromised.

Alex

I've no experience with that lens. The two mid range zooms I use are:

17-55mm F2.8 - behind a dome port, with a dioptre.

28-70mm F2.8 (sigma) - behind a flat port.

From personal experience, I would not go any wider than a 35mm lens on FF format (about 28mm on cropped sensor) without a dome port. I think that the 24mm might be a bit compromised.

Alex

Alex,

the 24-85 has a macro setting that decreases the zoom to 35-85 and allows focusing to 8 inches.

I was thinking this zoom range would be helpful in places like the Lembeh Straits with a flat port.

Plan to try this lens out next month at Cayman Brac

Elmer

Jim,

Another problem is that the internal diameter of the Subal extension rings is too small for the 17-55 and 105VR lens.

Elmer

Jim,

You are 100% correct, subal make a special enlarged ring for the 17-55.

Elmer

Jim,

Elmer

The 17-55 works fine with an unmodified Subal extension ring and a dome port. All you have to do is mount the ring to the housing (the one I use is 60mm), put the camera in the housing, and install the lens through the ring (it is narrower in the bottom and goes through the ring fine).

I replaced my old 105 with a new 105 VR and instead of buying a new ring for it I decided to modify the one I used on the old 105. Since buying the new one would make the old one obsolete I didn't worry about it. What I did was take it to a friend that has a lathe, then he increased the internal diameter of the ring by 1mm and now the new 105VR fits through it perfectly fine, and I saved some bucks.

Luiz

Any experience using a 24-85 f 2.8-4 with a flat port as a 35-85 in its macro setting??

I have used the 24/85 on its macro setting with a sea and sea set up, the ports I use are the NX Zoom port (51101) and the SX extention ring (50261) the shorter of the two extention rings. but I'm not sure if there is room to fit a dioptre on the lens, when zoomed out to 85 its close to the ports glass, I'll try and check this out.

Edited by Stefin

Sponsors

Advertisements