Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Nikon AF105mm problem with Nexus

I have had 2 Nikon AF 105mm's in my Nexus housings, the first being quite old and knackered so i upgraded to a 'd'.

The main reason for me doing this is that from time to time the focussing on my old one would lock at just less than 1:1 and would not come out of this state until i pointed the camera at the surface and his the shutter again. This results in some very strange noises and behaviour from me underwater. A Frogfish always yawns when my autofocus gets stuck.. leading to me shouting and shaking my camera at the surface!!! I put this fault due to it being bought off ebay a long time ago and being well used.

I have had a newer AF-D 105mm for a while, and it has just started doing the same thing on my last trip. And the only time i seem to see exciting behaviour from the fish is when its not working! So im getting a liitle annoyed!

I don't think the focus rings are too tight, has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Scuba_SI

I suspect this is a relatively common problem in macro lenses, but I am not sure if restricted to Nikon or if it is a general design problem or a specific problem of some lenses. I experience the exact same thing with my 60mm macro and Alex has reported the same with the new AF-S 105, check his posts here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16983

The way I solve the problem with my 60 is to point it to a high contrast, well lit subject that is close to the lens, and the lens "snaps" back to life. When there is no subject like this I just put my hand (without gloves) in front of the camera, half press the shutter and the AF comes back to life, focussing in my hand and usually anything else after that, until I try to focus in a low contrast subject close to 1:1.

Oops! Didnt notice Alex's post a few hours earlier.... d'oh

I'm pretty sure my problem was happening on night dives too, so im thinking mine might be mechanical,... Does yours make 2 clicks and a screeching metal noise?!?!? I think it may be buggered but i'll keep using it til it falls apart!

it has got to the point where i know its going to happen when im listening to the AF. I think when my next paycheck comes in i might send it off to be serviced. I'll post any result i get here...

No noise that I can detect on mine! The only symptom is that it stops at close range and refuses to focus anywhere else. Now I think that yours may have a more serious problem.

Luiz

although.... i could swap it for MV's when he's not looking.... Now there is a plan!

i am watching you

Hehehe, I was wondering how long it was going to take, only 26 minutes!

MV = the all seeing eye! ;)

" don't think the focus rings are too tight, has anyone else experienced this? "

Hi,

Are you using Nexus housing with Multi-port + AF/MF gear + Focus gear ?? or AF only ?? I broke my lens one time when camera was not properly seated & focusing knob on port was pressing my lens down.

Nikon service center easily fixed it.

Sam

" don't think the focus rings are too tight, has anyone else experienced this? "

Hi,

Are you using Nexus housing with Multi-port + AF/MF gear + Focus gear ?? or AF only ?? I broke my lens one time when camera was not properly seated & focusing knob on port was pressing my lens down.

Nikon service center easily fixed it.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the late reply, i lost the thread!

Yes, im using the multiport. Please could you let me know more of your problem? I do recall one dive last year where the camera wasn't sat properly after a rushed battery change, and i couldn't get the camera to work at depth.

Schoolboy error i know, but i was hungover!

Hi,

After I found I did not installed camera properly, I had similar problem you described. When I check the 105mm lens, I noticed it was even little harder to turn in M/F mode. I took it to service center & they fixed in 30 min. & never had problem again.

Sam

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements