maxyedor

Silcone grease

I shoot a lot, and being that I still shoot a lot of film I'm constantly getting out of the water to change film and use a ton of silcone grease in the process. I usually buy it localy in 1.5 oz canisters, but do you guys have a source for a bigger amount of the grease?

What housing are you using? What is the o-ring compound (what color are they)? And why are you using so much grease? If you're using a good quality generic silicone grease try Home Depot, local hardware store, etc. They should have it in big tubes.

Edited by jcclink

I never put silicone in my o-rings in between dives, and only rarely in the end of the day. The only time I grease it is at the begining of the trip. The small 1/4 oz (7g) container that came with my housing lasted for about a year.

JCCLink I'll check the hardware store on Mon. thanks for the tip. Rocha, must be a difference in designs between out housings, I was tol to use lots of the stuff.

I have an Aquatech housing and was told when I bought it to put a little grease on the O-rings everytime I reseal them. The main O-ring is blue, and very soft, the port O-rings are black and much firmer.

Anyway as to why I use a ton of the stuff, I'm in the water almost daily (provided there is a swell) and shoot on average 4-5 rolls on most days, and sometimes as many as 20 in a day. I usually don't change ports throughout the day, I usually will leave the port on for 4-5 days unless I want to swicth lenses during that time, but the back of the housing has to come off to change film, and the seal gets a little grease before it goes back on. The 1.5 oz. tubes last a good while, but I'd rather be able to get a 10 oz. tube and not have to worry about running out while on a trip.

Or try your local supplier of bearings and seals - often they carry tubes of silicone grease suitable for silicone and Nitrile O-rings.

The last tube I got was a 3M branded product.

The main O-ring is blue, and very soft, the port O-rings are black and much firmer.

If it's blue and soft it's pretty much got to be silicone rubber. That requires Fluorosilicone grease, "silicone" grease for (nitrile) rubber o-rings will wreck silicone o-rings in pretty short order.

The black port o-rings are probably a nitrile rubber or similar and will work fine with silicone grease. I suspect you can use fluorosilicone grease on nitrile, but I haven't seen it stated officially, and of course it's more expensive.

One attractive option is to track down some main o-rings in nitrile, so that you can use bog standard silicone grease everywhere.

CU page O'grease

If you look through these forums you'll fine a few rants on the amount of grease to use on o-rings, and indeed whether to use any. In general it is advised to use only the tiniest amount to lubricate the o-ring as it moves into place under water pressure. The grease does not form the seal, the rubber does, grease would just flow out under pressure. The problem with using more grease is that it attracts dust and hairs and all that bad stuff, right where you don't want it.

Mostly I just use a small amount of grease (some even use spit) if the o-ring is starting to look dry, but not between dives. I do often open the housing at that point to change cards, but I just check the o-ring for hairs and crud and close it back up.

HTH,

Martyn

Edited by Rocha

Ditto the above recommendations. Replace your pretty blue o-ring with a black nitrile (Buna N) one. Life will be much easier. A small amount of generic silicone grease maybe once a week. My Sea&Sea strobes & sync cords all came with blue o-rings. First thing I did was to replace them with the black ones. One type grease for everything works great.

As mentioned. use only enough to make the o'ring look wet not too much as too much will cause the o'ring to slip and leak.

you're dive store most likely can order a larger container of the grease. You might have to wait for them to place their next order with the supplier. McNett is very popular and has it in 1/4 oz, 1 1/2 and quart sizes.

Sponsors

Advertisements