Sign in to follow this  
dandive

Diffusers?

I made some diffusers out of milk container material and they were about 1/2 stop. I was wondering how much ones made of material like the Nikonos 105 diffusers reduce the output?

Thanks

Dave

I made some diffusers out of milk container material and they were about 1/2 stop. I was wondering how much ones made of material like the Nikonos 105 diffusers reduce the output?

Thanks

Dave

I just got finished making a pair of diffusers and testing them with a light meter and against some Ikelite diffusers. What I found was that it took 2-3 layers of milk carton material to equal the amount of OEM model diffusion. That may not directly answer your question, but if you double up on the milk carton the resulting reduction will be close to the stock diffusers. I ended up having to find other material at the improvement store. Or, you could use large diffuser material from a photo store and cut it down but the stuff I found at Lowes only cost $0.36.

Andy

.......but the stuff I found at Lowes only cost $0.36.

Andy

Was this plastic you found at Lowes precut flat stock or ? Thanks Dave

there are not few uw photographers saying that it is of no sense to use diffusers at all...you just pump up the power instead of using less power in manual shooting for fill light and using ambient light as the key light source. off course, it will spread the angle but with a decent flash or even 2 this is also not necessary. and BTW in a number of strobes (e.g. Subtronic) there is not even a diffusor available....just my 2 cents

there are not few uw photographers saying that it is of no sense to use diffusers at all...you just pump up the power instead of using less power in manual shooting for fill light and using ambient light as the key light source. off course, it will spread the angle but with a decent flash or even 2 this is also not necessary. and BTW in a number of strobes (e.g. Subtronic) there is not even a diffusor available....just my 2 cents

Buddy,

In practical application I think your 2 cents is very true. I made the diffusers because I was using Ikelite substrobe 100a's which are old and bulky but I had them from my Nikonos days and after a new D70 and a Subal housing and ports they were going to at least make one trip. I made the diffusers because I was going to Cayman and taking a couple of lessons with Cathy Church and wanted to make sure I had options because the 100a's only have an option of half or full power. Blowing out macro shots was my main concern. However, after spending time on land with a light meter and making a chart based on distance and aperture the diffusers were a non-issue. On full or half power without the diffusers I was able to adjust the f stop and get good shots. So, if you have any control over the strobe output you might be ok. I also thought I'd use them to soften the light, but it seems to be easier to get that effect in Photoshop than to add one more dimension to everything else going on while diving and photoing.

If the attachments are here, these were taken without the diffusers on FULL POWER at 200 ASA at night.

post-7935-1169143263_thumb.jpgpost-7935-1169143312_thumb.jpgpost-7935-1169143332_thumb.jpg

So, I agree. You may not need them. It just seems to add "one more thing to worry about".

Was this plastic you found at Lowes precut flat stock or ? Thanks Dave

They were the plugs that plumbers use to test large 3-4 inch drain pipes. About the same opacity as 3 milk bottles, and very thick and stiff.

I think you have a point, but with very WA shots (like the 10.5 FE), the diffusers do make absolute spot-on aiming of strobes a bit less critical, as well as further softening the edge of the beam into a more gradual fall-off. And one often has strobe power to spare. Because they make full coverage easier, one could make the case that diffusers simplify, rather than complicate, strobe use.

Myself, I am a bit agnostic about the "softening" properties of the diffusers -- of course I see their effects easily in land photography, but any effect is more subtle, to my eye, underwater.

I think you have a point, but with very WA shots (like the 10.5 FE), the diffusers do make absolute spot-on aiming of strobes a bit less critical, as well as further softening the edge of the beam into a more gradual fall-off. And one often has strobe power to spare. Because they make full coverage easier, one could make the case that diffusers simplify, rather than complicate, strobe use.

Myself, I am a bit agnostic about the "softening" properties of the diffusers -- of course I see their effects easily in land photography, but any effect is more subtle, to my eye, underwater.

GOOD POINT!!, and glad you reminded me, because the WA shots with my 10.5 came out very nice WITH the diffusers in place. Especially considering that with a 180 degree field the strobes need to be well back of the plane of the sensor or flash, if not the unit itself will be visible. The shots taken with WA without the diffusers are definately harsher. The shots attached were taken with diffusers and both strobes firing with a 10.5. They are "soft" and I really like that.

What I meant about ease of use and adding one more thing to do was that the challenge is making a home made set of diffusers that are easy to remove and replace and won't dissapear during the dive. There appears to be no glue that I could find that will hold velcro to the plastic on an Ikelite strobe so I had to get very creative.

post-7935-1169151492_thumb.jpg post-7935-1169151506.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements