jarhed

Woody's Diopter on Sea and Sea Ports

I've been having a great time with my 60mm shooting macro, but would like to get a bit more magnification. I don't have the funds to jump to the 105 VR yet, although I eventually want one.

I'm considering a wet lens and looked at the Nexus Wet Lens and Backscatter's Macro Mate.

The Maco Mate is a bit more than I want to spend right now, but the Nexus Wet Lens is quite affordable.

I understand that by pulling the rubber bumper off my Sea & Sea Standard Port, I can fit a Nexus Wet Lens to it.

So, has anyone done this? Does it fit well or require further manipulation?

Have you got good results with the 60mm?

What about the 105mm?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Hi, I will make a quick comment here;

1.Using wet diopter is to get closer to the subject (so that you can make it bigger...) & you are already close to subject with 60mm therefore, wet diopter is NOT helping very much.

2.To use on 'standard'port, Yes, I believe you have to remove rubber bumper & use 110mm wet diopter(Made by Nexus & is called 'woodi's" or "Ryan's"). If you are using compact port, 100mm is the size.

3.It works very well with both 105mm & 105mmVR.

Sam

I use Woody's diopter on my 60 (S&S DX-200) all the time and get great results. The only problem is, I keep selling them to people I meet at resorts and on boats. Its a great added boost (about 20% magnification) without the added weight and inflexibility of taking my 105 (although its great for shooting pygmy seahorses too using the 105). Results are well worth the small investment.

So I guess what I'm hearing is that:

good results are possible with the 60mm, but only partically takes advantage of the wet lens.

It works very well with the 105mm.

For the cost the wet lens is a great tool to add to the kit and I will probably want one when I get the 105 anyway.

Appreciate the comments,

John

I have a Woody diopter and love it on my S&S port.

This is what you do to make it easy to put on and off without messing with the port itself.

1. Buy Port cover from S&S. It's ok if it is round and the bumper on the port has that little rectangular foot piece.

2. Take the diopter (plastic part) out of the rubber cover that it come in.

3. Put diopter rubber cover (with hole) inside of the new S&S port cover and trace circle for new diopter hole into center of S&S port cover.

4. Carefully cut out circle (hole) in new S&S port cover (I use a scalpel, but box cutter or razor will work).

5. Insert diopter into S&S port cover hole. And Voila! A perfect fit! :D

Now to make it fit onto the custom port (the one with the rubber bumper and rectangle at bottom), I made two slits in the port cover to allow it to sit flush onto the port end. Then made a couple of holes and put a covered rubber band (actually I used a ponytail holder thingie) threaded it into the holes and push that behind the bumper foot. It keeps it on nice and flush.

Have had the diopter with the same port cover for over 3 years. Works like a charm.

Can you please poste some photos of your diopter on your s&s port?

Is it also possible with the macro ports?

Jens

Hi Jens,

i am interested in buying a woody. It's just, that i didn't find any shop in europe, who has it ;)

Do you know, where i could buy one?

greetings, rachid

Sponsors

Advertisements