Sign in to follow this  
Tmaxx

out dated or still good?

im asking because ive been wanting to get a underwater setup and thinking a used older camera might work good...

i have the canon 20d but im looking at nikon too

nikon d200: are the improvements over the d100 so far ahead that i should save not bother with the d100 and just save for the d200 or housding for the 20d?

canon rebel 350/xt: any features that are important for underwater photo that the rebel lacks compared to 20d? the older 300d didnt have Flash Expopsure Control, i just wanted to check with everyone if theres something else im forgeting to look for

The nice thing about the internet - is that it is easy to find lots of photographers shooting the cameras you are interesting and getting awesome shots. The older cameras still take great images. And can be really good investments - especially as there are great deals on some of the older housings.

The newer camera do offer improvements in image quality, autofocus and LCD screen size for image review.

But a good photographer with a camera that is a few years old is going to produce much better images than an average photographer with the latest and greatest.

Alex

I would definitely look into a housing for your 20D. It is a top notch camera that a lot of people use and get great results with.

I would go with the 20D and have a look if you could get a second hand housing out of good hands.

I did the same 3 Years ago when i bought Erics D60 housing. I still use it. And if i wouldn't be such a gear junkie and not be so hot for the 5 D I would happily use the D60 for 3 more years.

Save the Money and use it for some nice lense or strobes.

Simon

Specification sells technical equipment - but just like cars, cameras can be over specified depending on the job you want to do with them. Yes, the latest item will probably have advantages but whether these are advantages to you depends on what you want to do with the end product - in this case a photographic image. The internet is as Alex points out, useful for looking at images from the equipment you are interested in. But its also full of hype, myths and because of what it is, the latest, greatest innovation!

I've never used one but have friends who use 20D cameras - its a good camera and well worth considering housing. Underwater photographers have to think of a camera body and housing as one item - so your initial choice is important because it will probably key you into both camera manufacturer and housing manufacturer. Traditionally Nikon have dominated the underwater camera world but this is changing as the important requirements for film equipment are no longer as important for digital.

If you have a 20D then I'd suggest that you see what housings are available for it and then cost up a housed system for any different cameras you might consider - housing the 20D will probably be you cheapest option and the 60efs macro is a reasonably priced and excellent lens.

The 20D and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom should make a great pairing. I went from D60 to 5D (toyed with fitting 20D into D60 housing) largely so I could get full diagonal 180 degree fisheye. With the Tokina that's available (give or take) with the 20D. The 5D does have a better sensor and a larger screen, but at the end of the day it does come down to what your aim and expectations are. I was already using a the 5D topside for months before S&S released the housing and I jumped at the chance.

While many have no problem with operating the entry levels Canons, I would always council against "single dial" bodies, because I found moving to dual dial to be one of the most ergonomically liberating steps I ever took. This is where you have two command dials/wheels, one for aperture, the other for shutter speed, or compensation depending upon mode. 20D, 5D have this, the rebels do not.

Martyn

I know Subal is still offering a housing for the 20D and Inon has their recent housing for the 10,20,30D's....... so for a new housing some are readily available plus I am sure a few more as well...

Cheers,

Lee

:D

I would look for a housing for the 20D first. Switching systems or getting another camera is hardly ever a cheaper solution. In order to make it economicly logical you would have to score a D200, housing, and lenses for less than just the housing for the 20D, the XT is a little easier because all you would need is the new body and housing, but still the odds of getting a used housing and body for less than the housing alone for a 20D are slim to none. There are lots of companies still producing 20D housings, IkeLite I kow still does and many others do too.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements