Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Nikon 70-180mm, just got it and love it!

Hey there folks,

I have been thinking of getting a 70-180mm macro for some time, but as i've always been living in the middle of no-where i always stuck to the normal route and got the 105mm and later a 60mm.

As i will be doing a lot of macro photog in the near future i figured this lens was worth a look, it certainly seems to be now ive had a brief play with it.

The auto focus isn't bad at all, i'm used to using a 105mm with a 2x teleconverter on it so this is a breeze, i'm sure with a good spotting light it will be fine for the smaller stuff.

I was lucky enough to get a 6T with it, i always thought that there wasn't too much difference between the single element dioptres and these more expensive ones - i was very very wrong! These are great, get accessories like these (relating to other current thread), they are worth it!

So i will now be going down the road of getting the tripod collar removed and some lens gears bought..... I'll post every so often as my little journey progresses!

If anyone would like some figures on working distances and sample images let me know any i'll try to do something at the weekend. I know this topic has been discussed to death, but i have all 3 lenses sat here in my cupboard so feel free to ask any questions you like, it shouldn't take me long to find out the answer!

**Slightly unrelated but Ocean Optics are looking into the costs for modding my Nexus ND200, i'll post the prices when i know! Edit: (MSC Switch etc)

Sounds interesting -- this lens is not easy to find in the US, and I've never used one.

What made you choose this over the faster, cheaper 200mm f4 Micro Nikkor, since you have the 60, 105 and 70-200 already? Specific plans or 'NAS'?

Cheers,

Chris

Added notes:

The 200mmm is ubersharp and goes to a full 1:1, though the only decent macro shots I ever got with it [borrowed] REQUIRED good use of a tripod.

Edited by CeeDave

Sounds interesting -- this lens is not easy to find in the US, and I've never used one.

What made you choose this over the faster, cheaper 200mm f4 Micro Nikkor, since you have the 60, 105 and 70-200 already? Specific plans or 'NAS'?

Cheers,

Chris

Added notes:

The 200mmm is ubersharp and goes to a full 1:1, though the only decent macro shots I ever got with it [borrowed] REQUIRED good use of a tripod.

I got a great deal including a 6T, it's not new so was marginally cheaper than a 200 ( i think - i didn't look) But as its out of production i felt i should at least experience it even if i sell it on.

I'd love a 200mm macro too..... and an AFS 105mm, oooh and a 16mm, maybe a 17-55mm also, when will this black hole for finance go away!!!

the 70-200mm is only for topside stuff, its great for birds!

and for sale to fund my 'habit'

**Slightly unrelated but Ocean Optics are looking into the costs for modding my Nexus ND200, i'll post the prices when i know!

Congrats on the purchase, especially with the 6T. Your mod mentioned above has nothing to do with the 70-180, correct?

Michael.

Congrats on the purchase, especially with the 6T. Your mod mentioned above has nothing to do with the 70-180, correct?

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Yeah, my mods relate to my grumblings about the ND200 not being as feature packed as it could be, not the 70-180mm lens.

I use this lens in a subal lens port with manual and autofocus for years already and like it a lot although not being a great fan of macro stuff...

One advantage of this lens is that it allows you to more easily find tiny subjects at the 70mm focal length, work your way in and then zoom up to the 180mm focal length for frame-filling images. I used it extensively with my D100 setup and still miss it today with my Canon 20D setup, although the Canon 100 macro is superb also. The 70-180 offers great flexibility. An internal diopter limits the focus distance, and with a diopter, flat port and external "wet" diopter, you're piling on a lot of glass between the lens and subject.

I wish Canon had a similar lens - I used to use the 70-180 and loved it! I used it almost extensively w/ the Nikon 6T

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements