moliu

sea and sea, NX fisheye dome port, Nikon 12-24 lens

I've been using the Sea and Sea DXD200 with the NX fisheye dome port and the Nikon 12-24 lens to shoot some w/a images for around 6 months now.

I've noticed that I haven't been able to get very clear photos from the setup. The center of the images is quite sharp, but a little off centered, the image starts to blur quite a bit.

Does anyone have any experience with this? When used with the 10.5 fisheye, everything's good.

Also does anyone have any experience of the athena optical dome? am I going to see the same effect with the glass dome?

Hi,

I have the same combination but I use the Tokina 12-24 and I had the same problems with the fisheye dome port. The problem is, that the lense is to near to the dome. Thereby it gets blur.

I tried to use the fisheye dome with the extension ring 40 and now I´m satisfied with the results.

Jens

Edited by Jens

there has been a lot of talk about not so sharp edges with this lens. I will try to find some threads about it.

A common "fix" is to get yourself a high quality +2 dioptre to improve the edges but getting the all around sharpness of the 10.5 will be tough.

Actually, there are quite a few posts on this subject try the google search bar in the right side menu, here are a couple:

http://www.wetpixel.com/forums/lofiversion....php/t5858.html

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...;hl=Nikon+12-24

An 8 inch port and +2 diopter definitely improves corner sharpness but there is still some softness at the corners. It's acceptable, but still there.

It's a great big animal lens in blue water. I've used it for sharks and whales with excellent results. Of course, there are no soft corners in blue water.

Eric

www.ehanauer.com

we actually always reccomend a 40 extension ring and a +2 diopter for "optimum' performance!!! Sea & Sea does not reccomend diopters on any of their domes for some reason but we generally try to put one on when we deem it neccesary!

Cheers!

Hi,

I have the same combination but I use the Tokina 12-24 and I had the same problems with the fisheye dome port. The problem is, that the lense is to near to the dome. Thereby it gets blur.

I tried to use the fisheye dome with the extension ring 40 and now I´m satisfied with the results.

Jens

Jens, how did you manage to use the Tokina? Which zoom gear are you using? does the one for Nikon work for Tokina as well?

I don´t know which sea&sea zoom gear works with the tokina lense.

My zoom gear is special made by uk-germany. Uwe from uk-germany makes it possible. ;-)

Moliu, I have just made a zoom gear for my new Tokina 12/24 lens, check out my post "D.I.Y. Lens gear" in the DIY section of wetpixel forums to find out how.

I don´t know which sea&sea zoom gear works with the tokina lense.

I bought one that was too big around and put padded carpet tape around the inside until it fit nice and snug. Works just fine . . .

Mike

Sponsors

Advertisements